Subscribe Today

I-500 Was a sad day for everyone

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby time4acat2doit » February 8th, 2004, 12:38 pm

I was at the I-500 and, sadly about 50' from the tragic spectator accident. My condolences go out to the family and friends of the young woman who's life was taken and for all others involved in the other accidents, you are also in my prayers.
I will say nothing more about the injuries as I'm sure everyone that was there or listening feels the same. What I AM going to discuss is the way that the race was ended and how I feel it was poor judgment on the track officials part. Hopefully you guys don't take this the wrong way but I feel that for those drivers that were riding like it was the last lap and driving out of controll, it was like a reward to them for the race to be called so early. I think that the way the drivers placed somewhat reveals how safe the drivers rode. The ones that were leading (not every one of them mind you....there WERE some exceptions) were the ones that were driving out of their heads and THAT was the whole reason the race had to be tragicly called in the first place. I understand that there was no possible way for the race to be continued Saturday night, but I feel that to call the race so unexpectedly is like rewarding those who drove out of controll and screwed those who were actually driving like it was an enduro race and waiting until the end to completely let er' rip. For those of you that finished in the top and drove safely to get there....congrats. I just feel that if they were to call the race so early and unexpectedly, they should have given the drivers at MINIMUM 100 more laps to actually go balls to wall and all out race. If it had to wait until Sunday, so be it......at least it would have been fair to all drivers. I spoke to a a few drivers and crew members while packing everything into the trailer and every one that I talked to felt the same. Another suggestion I heard was to let the race go for another 50 laps and put everyone back on the lead lap. I am not saying that I have a sure fire way for that problem to be corrected but the fans and crews alike payed their money to see 500 laps of racing and didn't even see 200 laps and those 200 laps should not have been all out racing. That was the problem as said at the drivers meeting. To end this thought, I just feel that I left feeling like I didn't even get to see a race and I'm sure others felt the same. I realize that it would be selfish and downright ignorant to say that it should have been finished Saturday night because if someone else did get injured it could have been a mess but I feel that it could and should have ended somehow different than it did.

Again, my thoughts, condolences, and prayers go out to those injured and their families.
time4acat2doit

Postby bs » February 8th, 2004, 12:48 pm

well, get out your isr rule book and it states for a race to be called complete it has to be run one lap past half way, in the soo's case that would be lap 251 to be considered a race. I'm not agreeing with or disagreeing with there decision just stating the rules. for the first time in many years I stayed home and I'm glad I did,
bs

Postby indysp440 » February 8th, 2004, 12:48 pm

its terrible we had a racer die here in alpena 3 weeks ago on the 30 lap shootout they called the race at lap 5
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg[/img]
indysp440

Postby time4acat2doit » February 8th, 2004, 1:01 pm

That is a good point bs.......While I was sitting in the trailor during the LONG break we had, the two drivers on the team I was with were talking about if they were going to call the race or not and I said that if they did, they would have to give the drivers back their money because it wouldn't even be an official race but they did call it and also gave the purse out too. That was what I didn't understand. I think the race is going downhill drasticly and the fact that it is, is a huge dissapointment to me especially. After all, the I-500 is the race that got me hooked on racing a long time ago.
time4acat2doit

Postby ICEISNICE » February 8th, 2004, 1:24 pm

INDYSP440,
The MIRA 30 Lap Pro-Am was not called after 5 laps on Saturday. They ran the remaining 25 on Sunday before the Thunder Bay 250. I was there in the pits and our driver made his decision to pull out of the race.

I also was at the SOO in the pits and it was a sad day. As to the way the race was called, I still have mixed feelings and can't really say what I think. I know the circumstances at the hospital had a major impact (hospital declared it was in a (state of emergency) and being that the track is owned by the city, they felt it could not be finished. The race was called with the input of the city attourney. This was said at the final meeting with representatives of each team.
[blue]WHY ICE? CUZ SNOW IS SLOW!![/blue][red][/red]
ICEISNICE

Postby MIRA racer » February 8th, 2004, 1:30 pm

Hoos / Furkey racing should be the winners because they was leading when the red flag dropped . To say anything else would be wrong , I-500 called the race after the phone call from the hospital . What was they to do ?? I know for 100 % that team #67 didn't want to win this way and would of raced all 500 miles IF had the chance . Would they of won who knows .

MIRA racer
MIRA racer

Postby Long time cat man » February 8th, 2004, 1:36 pm

Did anyone consider finishing the race on Sunday??? And if not, why?? I'am guessing it had something to do with the insurance co. involved.
Hope things go much better at Albright Shores next week-end, and we see some good safe racing.
Long time cat man

Postby time4acat2doit » February 8th, 2004, 1:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that the insurance had a lot to do with it because they barely got insurance for the race on Saturday on time. Something like less than a week before qualifying started I believe. And as for who should have won, I agree that #67 should have won under the circumstances. (meaning that if someone had to be picked a winner, it should have been them for sure) They led most the race and didn't drive too crazy to do so. Their sled ran faster than hell also all day long. As for who would have won......nobody will ever know because teams were dropping left and right and the race wasn't even close to HALF way over. The whole point of them wanting to go the whole 500 laps just shows that they came prepared to race the Sault I-500.....that's how all drivers need to think. Not that they have to be in the lead the whole way. Safety is a huge issue and it was being pushed from qualifying, to the drivers meeting, to the raceday. There was just no reason for all the accidents other than they were all just freak things that happened. There was not a large amount of dust as the case was last year either. It was just a really weird and sad day.
time4acat2doit

Postby leelanaumotorsports » February 8th, 2004, 4:39 pm

The Soo I-500 is the only one-mile ice oval in the world.
The men and women who donate their time and effort so that this race can be held are all very devoted people.

36 years ago some men sat around and came up with a plan to hold a great race. The City and it's residence all did what they could to help out and the story began. Soon Factory teams where sending out drivers and machines because they recognized the value of a victory in such a long grueling endurance race. Clearly it proved the machine to be durable and reliable. As with any event of this type not everyone knows or even cares to understand why the racers,teams, fans and friends all head for "The Soo" each winter. In my mind it has always been very clear that the City and it's Hotels resturannts, retail stores and gas stations all have what must be their best week out of the 52 each year ever since the early days of the race.

As the race has worn on through good and bad times in the economy in general and the snowmobile industries up's and downs. The few comitted people that have worked to keep the event going lose more and more support from the comunity yet have taken on more and more responsibility. At a time when motor sports as a whole is gaining popularity and racing and racers are becoming a marketable product, snowmobiles and snowmobile endurance racing are missing out.

The sport of snowmobile endurnace racing has not caught up with the other forms of motor sports. It is a short season that is limited by the weather... That really is the only real un-controlable problem. Until some one person or some group of people can see the other realities of why endurance racing seems to be going backwards when almost all other forms of motorsports are growing. It will continue to be miss-understood, un-apreciatied and un-attended.

The Soo is the one event that can save endurance racing. It is time the race be run like the "flag ship" event that it once was. The machines are faster and more competitive, the rules have not kept up. The track in general is still safe. It is the attitude that WE allow in the pits and on the track that has caused the recent tragedies.

Boys dream of this race, they become men and take a chance that they maybe the next Lindblad,Musselman,Wicht,Pierce,Krikke,or Davidson... These men deserve more, the friends and families who love them and follow them to the track deserve more. They know the danger just as the men and women did in 1969.

I spent alot of time in the past few months trying to get everyone else to focus on this race. I realized while sitting in the trailer waiting for the final call... That we have not focused on the race enough ourselves. Until we prove to oursleves that this is still the right thing to do, and that we know how to do it. How can we expect the fans or the manufactures to show us the respect they once showed our predessors.

Calling the race completely may have been the right thing to do...
there may have been no other safe alternative...There should have been.

I hate to say there WILL be no Soo I-500 next year...
But I will say, unless DRASTIC changes to the rules regarding the track layout, the machines and the men allowed to drive them are implimented... there SHOULD not be a Soo I-500.

Words written here can not begin to express my sorrow for the loss of life...

Best wishes to Nate Dzurka #69.
[b]Ride Hard, Ride Safe.[b]
leelanaumotorsports

Postby iceracer12 » February 8th, 2004, 4:48 pm

Any updates on how Nate is doing?
iceracer12

Next

Return to General Racing Board