Subscribe Today

ARCTIC CAT kill switch / and or throttle problem ?

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby chandlerito » February 21st, 2004, 6:13 am

whats the deal with a-cats throttle and kill switch.
every now and then ill give it gas and its exactly like i hit the kill switch , but i never hit it. my thumb is on the throttle the whole time.
any info ..how to fix ...whats the deal
grant
from ely
chandlerito

Postby ZR500PA » February 21st, 2004, 7:52 am

I just had the same problem with my 2001 ZR 500. Called the best mechanic in our area and he knew the problem before i could get it out of my mouth. The throttle safety switch, He told me to unplug the three wire plug under the handle bar cover and it went away right now. Now I don't have a kill switch but i can ride. I'll wait to the snow melts before I replace the switch. I believe the switch goes bad in the spot that gets used most, Thats where mine acts up.
ZR500PA

Postby ReconRider25 » February 21st, 2004, 9:47 am

alot of times the cable just has to be adjusted. then you got spark again! lol
[green]'96 Arctic Cat EXT 580-[/green] Comet 102c clutch(engages @4500), black windshield, green vent screen kit, green painted skis, 6" carbides, and some other secret stuff.;)
[green]'79 Arctic Cat Jag 340-[/green] sold but not forgotten.
[red]'03 Honda 400ex-[/red] too much stuff to list.
ReconRider25

Postby chandlerito » February 21st, 2004, 3:13 pm

i dont get it .???? so your kill switch is bad ?????? waht needs to be done to fix my problem??? you response was a little unclear.
how can i fix it now, and still have a kill switch? not that i skip water on anything risky with a 500. let me tell you people that look at this ,,, my 2000 zl 500 has beaten many 500 's , 600's and a few older non reed 700 triples. strong sled !!! just needs a longer track higher handle bars , and wider skis
chandlerito

Postby acracer » February 21st, 2004, 5:27 pm

i was having the same problem with my zr 800 a week ago. i just unplugged the killswitch and works fine but i would like to have a killswitch that works and not have it unplugged.
[b][green]Why ride the rest when you know Arctic Cats are the best![/green][/b]
acracer

Postby 580440 » March 4th, 2004, 3:01 pm

This is a common problem for cats, the only way to fix it is to replace the throttle assembly. You can't buy just the kill switch parts. If you want a kill switch you have to replace it or unplug the harness go without. On the older cats that I had 94-6 you had to jump the yellow and brown wire, this may have changed but if you unplug the harness and it won't start jump the wires.
brad willemsen

Postby Smoothride » March 6th, 2004, 2:47 am

Before everybody replaces the switches, try 2 things.
A- adjust the trottle cables as per the service manual. If the cables are loose, the throttle flipper doesn't keep the switch pushed in when the throttle slides open the reed switch in the carb.
B- If , after adjusting the cables, it still happens, check if it happens when you push straight on the flipper or does it happen if the flipper twists. If this is the case, replace the bushings on the flipper pin, either white or black ones.
This cures 99% of the problems. Also, for those of you that disconnected the kill switch, get it fixed ASAP. Stuck throttles kill people, maybe not you but the kid that your out of control sled hits.
Smoothride

Postby Yamanator » March 6th, 2004, 7:28 am

Buy a different brand... That'd fix most of your glaring problems... =)
Max out or black out.
Yamanator

Return to General Racing Board