Subscribe Today

Will gas price affect racing plans next winter?

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby AHF928 » May 25th, 2004, 5:34 am

With the price of gas being what it is, does anyone think they may have to cut back on races they can afford to get to?

Closest race we went to last year was 5.5 hours each way, about $200 US per weekend just for truck gas. This year that would be closer to $310 at my local station prices.

We had planned on running a full schedule of Champ, but now are rethinking that. Staying with sprint another year.

Rules,gas,spare parts = too much to swallow all at once.

Any other teams affected?
Ovals rule 728racing.com
AHF928

Postby PDRacing » May 25th, 2004, 6:00 am

Your not kidding,im stuck in the middle, my closest race is 7 hours with most being a 11 hours. Just in the process of swapping out my 2004 truck in for a diesel because of that. But still planning to make all races.

Need to pick up a gas sponsor!!

Rich.
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby Flatout » May 25th, 2004, 6:03 am

August! We may be sticking to the EPT unless gas prices drop below 80cents a litre. Beausejour or ER will be $250.00 each way more expensive than last year. All the money we saved in building the new sled to 375 lb. rule is now going to the Arabs!

Howard....
FLATOUT (the only way to ride)
Flatout

Postby RpR#10 » May 25th, 2004, 7:10 am

I have a question.

Will these insane gas prices (average right is $2.20/gal in the AK)affect the cost of race fuel? I used two 55 gallon drums last year. So its already expensive to start with.
RpR#10

Postby f7snopro19 » May 25th, 2004, 7:35 am

I don't think it will affect big teams but it will make a huge effect on privateers.
f7snopro19

Postby ice_racer_69 » May 25th, 2004, 3:33 pm

My guess (and from what I have heard) is that prices will go down by the winter....

they are supposed to peak this weekend at around $2.25-$2.30 here in mn, then they are supposed to drop steadily, to around $1.60.

That, and all the talk about the saudi's pumpin out more oil (half million more barrels a day) starting in june, should help a bunch.

who knows for sure though
ice_racer_69

Postby Myers Racing Inc. » May 26th, 2004, 4:14 am

Diesel prices might be going up this fall also. They are implementing the Soy diesel and I have been told that will cause the price to go up.

I am buying a new diesel for our race/business rig but I get to write everything off plus I also get reimbursed for all of my race expenses like hotel, food, and mileage.
[url=http://www.myersracinginc.com]Myers Racing Inc.[/url]
Team MRI
Myers Racing Inc.

Postby INDY500XCSP » May 27th, 2004, 1:55 pm

[quote]
I am buying a new diesel for our race/business rig but I get to write everything off plus I also get reimbursed for all of my race expenses like hotel, food, and mileage.[/quote]

Hey Myer are you guys hiring?? LOL, wish i could get that..I recently picked up my new(to me) 03 Duramax...Love the truck, no omre gasser for me...20-30 centscheaper( or more if i buy from the farm) dont hurt either...What are you looking aT?
-------------
'99 Polaris INDY500XCSP bunch of red stuff<- For sale
03 Pro-XR w/600, SLP Can, C&A Trail skis, 96 Megabites,Powermadd/Rox handguards, AMSOIL,V-Force 3, PERC
INDY500XCSP

Postby Myers Racing Inc. » May 27th, 2004, 4:45 pm

I am picking up a '04 F-350 stroker. I think I am picking it up tomorrow.

The price of diesel plus the better towing capacities fueled the decision. Plus I am buying a gooseneck with living quarters next spring and can't pull that with a little 150!

Already have been looking into "upgrades"!

Buying the new rig puts getting a new sled down further on the priority list. Have my fingers crossed that I can get it but not a huge deal if I can't as I am not going to be able to race much with my new job. I will be at 7 WSA nationals working and managing a race team for C&A Ultra Pro so I will spend most of my free time doing things with them.
[url=http://www.myersracinginc.com]Myers Racing Inc.[/url]
Team MRI
Myers Racing Inc.

Postby Snowmodude65 » May 27th, 2004, 5:07 pm

Price of racing for us privateer teams is so high its all just a losing game anyway. A guy tries to keep costs down but if the boys want to race we race.
Snowmodude65

Return to General Racing Board