Subscribe Today

Eagle River & USSA WELL Mainly Mr. Otto??????

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby Racefan99 » January 17th, 2005, 5:32 am

After attendeding this past weekends race at Eagle River on my way home i asked myself why did I go back. After not being there to watch a race sine 525 passed away i decieded to go back this year after hearing of all of the changes that had been done there.

Rumor was that they had moved the ice oval track out 8ft and made it wider, fixed the fence coming out of staging for examples. Well thats exactly what it was just a RUMOR.

I dont understand Ted and his thinking of flagin on why it is so important to him to be IN CHARGE, during Friday night thunder there were alot of example for this and brings up the question why dont the corner workers have red flags and radios. Yes on flag there was red flagged and that was great to see although in that race the sleds were more out of the way than in anyother race that wasnt red flagged. Example F1 Open final Wanderschied lost it in turn 2 and his sled ended up right in the grove when Terry came around PJ was actually waving his arms and hands and trying to point out his sled to the drivers why the corner workers not there fault were not able to red flag the race. They should be equipped qith radios Red & yellow flags aswell and be in direct contact with a Race Offical up above whos only job is to watch what is goin on in the race and who and were someone goes down. Than he tells the corner workers to give a yellow or red, Not just have Otto have a red. First off he can't see the entire track to see if a red needs to be thrown. Now i know some of you are gonna say or think ya but he is in radio contact with someone up above, well great but that doesnt solve for example say in the WC a driver or 2 go down hard in turns 1 & 2 one is banged up and the parametics need to come to the seen, so Otto grabs a red and starts waving it, well if this accident happened behind other drivers than those drivers have no idea whats goin on so the contiue to race around 3 & 4 than come down the straight and see this red flag so the slow down, than they drivers behind them are still racing and coming zooming out of 4 and see tail lights and stopped sleds the grab a handful of brake and so on. One of these days one of those parked drivers is gonna get smaecked and end up hurting one or 2 or more drivers simply because they wer not warned in turns 3 and 4 that there was a red flag, which they would be if the corner workers had red flags and were told to use them by a guy up above not ted. maybe it will happen someday but probally have to wait till the accident i was talking about actually happens.

enough on that sorry.

My next question is well as most of us know PJ Wanderschied was not able to compete in the WC due to a electrical problem they had before the first round of the WC. What a bunch of bull s!!t so he missed one round let him start in the back row of rounds 2 and 3 or even let him try from the back in the LCQ. The excuse his team was given was that he did not take a green flag in round 1 therefore he cannot compete in any other rounds cause he hasnt ran a qualifing round. Well isnt that what the time trails are a quilifing round???? So lets not let a 2 time almost 3 time champ run in the championship race o the year because he missed one round due to a problem that was unable to pass. I find it funny that when asked were that rule was writting down that if you dont take a green flag you are out is in the Isr rule boke or anywhere Otto & Cornick's response was it isnt writting down its just a rule we have here at Eagle River. BULLS**T if it is not written down that it does not exsist, i would like to see were it is writing down that one can compete in a WC race after being DQ'd for running illegal equipment hell we will even start a 3rd row for you. Well i guess you have to have the name JACKO and #96 on your sled for tha to apply to you. And about JACKO thats a whole nother topic.
Racefan99

Postby team obsolete » January 17th, 2005, 6:13 am

racefan99 YOU ARE 100 Percent correct!! All flagmann need RED & YELLOW FLAGS & connected radios with a man in the upper booth, who is able to see the entire track!! AS I said earlier we also need a second group of flagman that thier only job is to warn slower drivers of the approaching leaders!!Even a second MAN next to TED!! Again they are interconnected with a man in the upper booth! Also some red lights flashing or revolving placed at each entrance and exits of the corners with some placed also in middle of the track !! They will also be turned on& off by the director in the upper booth!! We need this DUE TO THE SNO-X course in the center, blocking ted's view!! He can no longer control the race, he MUST give up control to the DIRECTOR with A BETTER VIEW!! AFTER 20 LAPS THE Race director( UNDER HIS DISCRETION) will be able to remove sleds to the infield that are causing problems for the other drivers!!( UP TO 40% of the fieid!) As long they able to maintain the racing speed & not impede the other racers! 1. drivers that will not lose a position! 2 mechanical problems. 3. speed is so slow as to impede the other racers. This should apply to the last six places on the track!, to insure the leaders HAVE A SAFE & FAIR TRACK TO COMPLETE THE RACE!! WE HAVE HAD TO MANY RACE'S Decided Due to LAPPED TRAFFIC and POOR FLAGGING BECAUSE of ALL Involved!!
team obsolete

Postby racer43 » January 17th, 2005, 6:14 am

When you bring up Jacko the samething happened to him last year. He took Terry and Erik Peterson out in turn one. They restarted the race, but Jacko didn't take the green so he was done for the weekend. The rule does suck, but I know that PJ was aware of it, being as their was an issue with it last year.
racer43

Postby MM700 » January 17th, 2005, 6:39 am

Racefan99, Everybody knows you are WSA fan...and we know you don't like the USSA...you are no different than the USSA guys that rip WSA, and thats fine to each their own...but get your facts straight...the Derby track was flattened and widened in that corner (turns 3 and 4)...I was there, saw the crews working, and grading that corner...ARE YOU BLIND??? Also USSA has scoring officals, and spotters in the press box..with one man who is in communication with Ted and the pits at all time....he tells Ted what sleds are down, and where they are located on the track, and wether the driver is injuried or not....Do you guys really think with the below zero temps, and the amount of snow dust that was being kicked up (especially during the champ classes)..that the drivers would be able to see red lights in the corners??? The corner men have yellow flags and I think they do a great job at Eagle River.
The USSA is a good circut and have stood the test of time...Ted Otto is the most experienced flag man on the planet...your ridculous trashing of the circut and Ted are really stupid, and getting old...you whined last year about the same stuff didn't ya???
I think you're just barking to hear your own voice...If you don't like going to Eagle River or don't like watching the races...DON'T GO!!!..It's that simple...I don't like WSA, and won't give them a nickle...but you don't see me running them and their officals thru the mud...I just won't go.
If the USSA has the head up their ass, and aren't a safe race organization...why are more and more oval racers joining them each year???
MM700

Postby Aaron25 » January 17th, 2005, 7:07 am

Just like to thank eagle river/ussa for removing the warm up trailor from the pits. It sure was nice to freeze our rear ends off. It also was nice that we got to hurry up and wait all day. (while ted sat it the booth while the rest of the track was ready!) Oh ya thanks for taking a long time to get threw classes and then skip a bunch so that racers miss heats. Mainly because they are in there trailors warming up. Oh ya, and then let some of the (ussa) racers back into the next heat.(except pj) I'm sure that you folks moved as quickly as possible so that you did't let your crowd freeze on friday night. I had a good run 2 years ago in the semi pro champ final. 20 sled lengths ahead and on the 5th lap of 8, and guess what a red flag. No injurys! sleds were off the track. Could it be that they don't like pro-ice guys winning? I wish my driving this year would have been alot better than it was, anyhow they will never get my $750 in entry fees there again. It really dissapointing to see the promoters of a great race treat there fans and racers so poorly.
Aaron25

Postby MM700 » January 17th, 2005, 7:14 am

Wow...what a bunch of belly acres.....Are all WSA drivers like this???....maybe next year Chuck install a powder room with a make-up mirror for you wsa guys...;)
MM700

Postby watcher » January 17th, 2005, 7:45 am

sorry MM, but i did meet some very nice/great folks from WSA! glad that they came to Eagle River, Wish them all the best were ever they race!

i was glad to see that trailer pulled out ot the pits. gave us lot more room to get around the pits (oval side). there was a warm up room below the paddock tower, the sign was on the door for everyone to use. WISH I COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING ABOUT THE COLD. if anyone knows how to change that, please speek up.

my heart fell to my knees, when PJ's sled did not start. i think that PJ's crew is one of the best in OVAL racing.

one last thing, Red and Yellow flags along with radios the corner workers had.

terry k
watcher

Postby team obsolete » January 17th, 2005, 8:18 am

MM700 HAVE YOU EVER RACED AT EAGLE RIVER? HAVE YOU EVER RACED AT ANY OTHER TRACKS? ANTIGO.BRAINARD.PLYMOUTH,CPTC CANADA, IRONWOOD, ETC,ETC. ANTIGO EVEN HAS HEATED SHOWERS FOR THE RACERS!! MOST HAVE HEATED BATHROOMS FOR THE RACERS!! AT THE World Championship WHAT DO WE HAVE? NONE OF THE ABOVE!! WE HAVE TO WALK TO THE FAN SECTION TO USE A WARM BATH AND TO GET TICKETS TO BUY OUR FOOD FOR A STAND IN THE PITS!! BELLY-ACHERS? HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A FROZEN PORT-A-POTTY AT 20 DEGREES BELOW ZERO!! NOW THAT'S DISGUSTING!! HOW WOULD YOU LIKE THAT YOU WOULD HAVE TO WALK TO THE PIT TO USE A BATH OR GET MEAL TICKETS!! I HAVE RACED SINCE 1969 AND ALL TYPES OF SLED RACING!! EAGLE RIVER DOES NOT OFFER ANY COMFORTS TO THE RACERS! THEY EVEN CHARGE YOU OVER 400 DOLLARS IF YOU WANT YOUR TRAILER CLOSE TO OR ON THE PIT LANE!! WE DO DESERVE MORE, I KNOW WE ARE ONLY PART? OF THE SHOW? WE WORK OUR ASS OFF TO RACE AND PAY FOR THE PRIVILGE TO RACE ON THIS HISTORICAL TRACK!! ARE WE ASKING TO MUCH FOR THESE COMFORTS? HEATED TOILETS, A WARM ROOM FOR UOR LOVED ONE'S AND FAMILIES!! NEXT YEAR I'LL INVITE YOU TO STAY A DAY IN THE PITS AT EAGLE, AND I THINK YOU WILL LEARN QUICKLY WHY THEY CALL IT THE PITS!!!! NEXT TIME BEFORE YOU SPEAK, LEARN A LITTLE FIRST!!! RACERS AT EAGLE DESERVE MORE, WE HAVE RACED FOR OVER 40 YRS WITHOUT THE COMFORTS THAT YOU HAVE EVERY YEAR!! BELLY-ACHERS YOUR DAMN RIGHT!! ITS TIME WE GET SOME RESPECT FOR THE MONEY AND EFFORT WE PUT FORTH TO RACE!! THANKS, CHIP PATTERMANN
team obsolete

Postby MM700 » January 17th, 2005, 8:46 am

Chip.....in answer to your question yes I have raced...no not recently...and I have been in the pits in Eagle River every year since 1985...having been a radio announcer who has covered the races for many years....also I have covered off road races in Antigo...I know exactly what the bathrooms look like at all those places...plus most of the dirt tracks for stock car racing in the area....It just seems to me that you gusy always have a bone to pick no matter how things are....I don't think it matters what improvements are made...you guys will just find something else to ***** about...why waste my breath.
MM700

Postby xpitman » January 17th, 2005, 10:27 am

mm700,If you haven't raced weekend after weekend all though the winter,be smart and save your breath because you don't have a clue what it takes to be competitive in the top classes.By the way I took your advice,if you don't like WSA or USSA then don't go.That is why i'm Xpitman,I will not go to a USSA race untill there is differnt offials.
xpitman

Next

Return to General Racing Board