Subscribe Today

Congratulations to # 16 Gabe Bunke

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby snosports » February 6th, 2005, 2:19 am

Gabe's terrain racing experience really showed. That track was rough from the beginning.

Knowing the Yamaha's didn't need to pit for gas during the last 92 or so laps, Gabe was able to get 3/4 of a lap ahead of 2nd place which allowed them to get in for gas, carbide?, and a fresh driver. The Staszak team had a perfect pitstop. Corey did a great job driving and he finished the race.

The track announcer really started chattering about Corey during his 20 or so laps he did after he replaced Gabe for the final laps. He said this was Corey's 5th win at the Soo. I don't know if this is fair to Gabe. Corey's sled broke, he was done. Gabes backup driver got a "medical" and that allowed Corey to help out. (Common in enduro racing.) Gabe got his First Soo win and 4 time winner Corey helped. Should this count as 5 wins?

I hope Polaris knows how lucky they are to have racers that are still racing polaris products with limited support. We all know they are tough, great handling sleds that thrive at the Soo.
snosports

Postby kammi10 » February 6th, 2005, 4:20 am

nice job Gabe. you ran a good race.

however i don;t think it would have happend if it wasn;t for corey who just so happend to scratch right when bunke's co driver was hurting. sounds a little suspicious to me.

also i don;t think it should count as a 5th win for corey since it wasn;t his sled that crossed the line at the end.
Team 10 Kammi Racing
Soo 500
2003 10th place
2005 10th place
2006 11th place
kammi10

Postby polarisguru » February 6th, 2005, 5:07 am

Congradulations Gabe on a great run. You and your Co driver deserve the credit. You kept the sled competitive all day and out of trouble. Just because Cory helped does not take away from the Fact that "Gabe" ran the sled all day and kept it in contention for the win. Drivers from other sleds have helped in years past, but the win goes to the Qualifing driver and not the Backup and thats the way it should be!!!!! Dan Kirts driver for my Team helped Jeff Kifpmiller win on a Skidoo in 1985 but Jeff got the Win and thats who deserved it. Just because Cory is a past winner the Credit GOES TO "GABE BUNKE"
GREAT JOB GABE!!!!!!! You are a I-500 Champion and deserve it
[img]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421557597/3.jpg height=125 width=150[/img]
polarisguru

Postby racetrailer » February 6th, 2005, 7:15 am

Congrats to Gabe, Josh and Corey..all great drivers and friends of mine, just got off the phone with josh this morning and asked what his big "medical" problem was that he couldn't continue....his reply??? "absolutley nothing"...man what slap in the face in my book, he gets a call wednesday night to run the soo, drives 600 miles, never been to the soo or turned a lap at the place or rode the sled before, jumps on and makes up one of the 2 laps they were down under green and moves up from 9th to 5th, gets off the sled and is asked to make up that "medical" excuse and retire for the day....if I was him i would have told them where to stick it and rode the rest of the day but hes too nice of a guy, maybe hes a team player and thinking about his future...i can see the teams point of view to want corey on the sled, i mean who wouldnt?? If Josh wouldn't have made that lap up, who knows where they would have finished. But now that he went out for "medical" reasons, he'll hardly even get credit for being there. I don't want to take anything away from Gabe and Corey, they are both great riders and it probably wasn't their idea, but in my opinion, that's no way to treat a guy! I'm sure I've created a few enemies over this, but I don't care. Josh is too nice of a guy to say anything so i will! Chad Dyrdahl
racetrailer

Postby catmango » February 6th, 2005, 7:36 am

Thanks Chad for the update and truth about the situation with Corey taking over. That's what I thought happened and it's too bad. I agree that only the main qualifying driver should get the credit for the win. Not to take anything away from the Pro-5 team. It's not a coincidence that Polaris keeps winning the 500. I would suggest that they rename the race..."The Polaris I-500". I'm not certain that any other brand is capable of winning.
With all the Yamaha hype....I found it a bit ironic that it was the same deep sounding tuned exhaust of a Polaris that echoed around the track.
catmango

Postby kammi10 » February 6th, 2005, 8:54 am

thanks for the update chad. i figured since corey couldn;t continue on his sled he would make his way to the 16 sled. wow what a joke. if iw as josh i would have told them where to stick it too. not to take anythign away from gabe but thats bullcrap that he was made to do that so corey could get on
Team 10 Kammi Racing
Soo 500
2003 10th place
2005 10th place
2006 11th place
kammi10

Postby leelanaumotorsports » February 6th, 2005, 9:37 am

Corey got on the 16 sled when it was two almost three laps down on about lap 320-330, At that time I was in front of the scoring monitor with radio comunication to the drivers and crew of the 16. I did not leave the scoring monitor until lap 500. Corey regained those laps by consistently being the fastet sled on the track battling with the 63 for postion and staying in front of the 14 and 54(Krikke) when cautions flew.

The 14 had trouble with a ski and a seat and lost some time in the pits..returning to the track as it went green and on the very tail end of the lead lap.

When the plows pulled off they had fueled the 16 sled and Gabe got back on the 16 on the lead lap under yellow.(Green lap 407) He battled hard with Chad Gueco on the 54 for several laps until he slowly started to sneak away.

During this time the 14 sled was the fastest of the lead sleds, slowy re-gaining on both the 16 and the 54.

Knowing that the 54 and 14 might not HAVE to come in ( for fuel)
the decision was made to come in when the gap was big enough to pit for fuel.
EVEN THOUGH GABE WAS PULLING AWAY FROM 54. THE 14 WAS CATCHING UP FAST!

Gabes lap times were in the 50's... the 54 was lappping 51's+ the 14 was lapping 47's 48's 49's...
Gabes times were faster than 54 but not faster than 14's.

With a 35+ second lead over the 54 and 14 gabe came in for fuel.

Corey got back on the 16 sled around lap 477-480 and crossed the line 3.5+ seconds behind 14 the next full lap...

He passed the 14 within about two or three laps later and began consistently turning low 47's.

AS for the other stuff I know that Gabe, Corey and Josh would like to win it their own way. But from what I saw that day NONE of them could have done it with out each other and about 10 to 15 other people around them. It happens all the time and has for the ten + years that I have been around. A true team effort, sometimes with help from outside the actual team or even brand. Corey and Travis rebuild the 16 sled every week after the MIRA races it has been tunned,tested and set-up by Corey for 2005. Gabe worked very,very hard all week to re-build it from the Runway park MIRA race and had lots of help and advice from everyone in the Pro-5 pits. Corey and Travis will now have to re-build it for Drummond. It is a team !

Some "co-" or "back-up" drivers have EARNED Soo I-500 victories while hardly turnning a lap or even going the full five hundred miles. They still get the credit. No matter what, that certainly is not that case here, they all drove and they all won a 500 mile race!

Josh has one.
Gabe now has two.

AND COREY HAS FIVE!

John Kalchik
[b]Ride Hard, Ride Safe.[b]
leelanaumotorsports

Postby bs » February 6th, 2005, 12:38 pm

wasn't gabe the backup for gentz the year he won so would'nt it be the second win for gabe?

it was still one of the best races I've ever seen, cory, krikke and gentz are all just crazy! can't wait til next year.
bs

Postby leelanaumotorsports » February 7th, 2005, 11:51 am

The I-500 has since year one recognized the co-drivers has fellow champions, some may have never even gotten on the sled for more than a lap or two... so what? The race could not have been won without them.

With the the way the rules are a young guy coming up can not even start the race. Even if his speed is better than the pole sitter, he has to start his sled where the experinced qualyifying driver qualifies it, and then get on the sled after the start of the race.

The last time I remember this happening to someone who was very talented and capable of winning his first time at the track (and maybe even on his own) was a few years ago, and it was Gabe Bunke.before that it was Corey Davidson.

Kippy and Dan Kirts and Rick Zuddel are credited with winning the 1986 race. and they did not start on the same machine.

And I belive that Kippy did the reverse when Sharrard and he won it.
and perhaps even when Stasak and he won it...

so based on a lot of what I am hearing... some of you are trying to say that that Jeff Kipfmiller has not won as many I-500s as we have been lead to believe...

Or that really the only driver who has ever TRUELY won the I-500 is John Wicht.
[b]Ride Hard, Ride Safe.[b]
leelanaumotorsports

Postby polarisguru » February 7th, 2005, 1:19 pm

John
First of all I am not taking away from what Cory did or did not do, but the real credit should go to Gabe and the back up rider that got it to that point and also Cory for helping to take it to the end. Sounds like you want to give all the Credit to CORY, Which is not the way it should be. If you talk to Dan Kirts or even Kippy when he rode with George , they will most likely tell you who should get the credit The qualifing driver,and that they were just a part of it. Enduro racing is alot more then just a driver also its , a motor that lives,chassis that survives, shock and handling package ect. which requires a team effort. Everyone should get the credit but do they "NO it has always gone to the qualifing driver.Hate to say it but, Who remembers the backup drivers or team Members? They arent even listed during time trials or even in the I500 Program. Just didnt want this to be the "Cory" show and forget Gabe/Josh who got it there, even though Cory was a big part of it!!
CONGRADULATIONS TEAM 16 ON YOUR SOO I-500 win
[img]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421557597/3.jpg height=125 width=150[/img]
polarisguru

Next

Return to General Racing Board