Subscribe Today

Ovals win!

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Ovals win!

Postby Flatout » December 20th, 2001, 6:57 am

Ovals win! Looks like the members have spoken and ovals win,7-1 over sno-cross.
Just look at the number of hits on any topic related to Ovals and you see it is definitely the most popular! Oh ya, It looks like Wahl,Loritz and Villeneuve are the favorites at Eagle!
Lets get the manufacturers to look at the numbers and persuade them to put the money in the ovals where it belongs and out of the hands of the spoiled brats called Snocross
Snocross sucks!!!
Flatout

Ovals win!

Postby maxiracer » December 20th, 2001, 7:10 am

I agree, but what ovals needs is a class that the consumer can relate to. Champ, F-1 are and were great classes, but can joe average trail rider relate to what races and what he rides? Ovals need a stock based format that will draw all 4 mfgs and it's brand loyal fans with it. Say a 700cc stock motor(pipes allowed, no internal mods) in a modified stock chassis, kinda like what F-3 started as. That would bring a sled from all four brands into play. It's just a idea, but I asked this question last season, and the non-racers thought it would be cool to see SRX's racing MX-Z's and XC's and ZR's or whatever? AHF told me he proposed such a class a year or two ago and couldn't get any support for it. So go figure, we complain but we don't do anything to fix the problem.
[b]Bevra Vintage Ice Oval Racing. Old School rules...[/b]
maxiracer

Ovals win!

Postby Flatout » December 20th, 2001, 7:50 am

There are "trailstock " classes as well a stock,prostock sprint junior,champ lite and champ classes.
Flatout

Ovals win!

Postby maxiracer » December 21st, 2001, 3:23 am

I think you misunderstand me, I know what classes we have, but "trail stock" is not a feature class that the mfgs are going to throw contingency money at. I believe a "Super Stock" class would draw the mfgs back. We might even see stock sleds return to a more oval friendly configuration, instead of the sno cross based high seat heights that give people nose bleeds when they sit on them. Like I said, it's just a idea.
maxiracer

Ovals win!

Postby AHF928 » December 21st, 2001, 3:46 am

WHat ovals need, in my lame opinion is to NOT rely on manufacturers so much. There are only 3. We need aftermarket and big corporate support ie Nascar, NHRA and Supercross. Sure the big manufacturers are heavily involved n all those sports, but the big dollar comes from outside the sport.

We need to push for the Quaker States, Budweisers, Pepsi etc. For years we have only looked nside the sled community, but lets face it they are mostly small companies with limited budgets.

Even the manufacturers themselves (taking only the sled divisions into account) are not that big. If not for other products thay would be nearly broke most of the time.

I don't want to race any of the stock sleds that are being built or what will be built in the future at 100mph around an oval.

I like the Champ classes just fine. I think the educated spectator knows these or not what he rides just like any NASCAR fan knows the Monte Carlo out on the track has not one single part in common with his at home.

I root for Chevys because I like my TRUCK, I dont want them racing a real Monte Carlo ever.

Ovals can still do a ton of engine and clutch development for the sled companies, the engine size makes little difference.

Wow..I think I may have rambled on for a while. But anyway thats what I think....I think..

Ovals rule 728racing.com
AHF928

Ovals win!

Postby maxiracer » December 21st, 2001, 7:00 am

I'm afraid I disagree with some of what you say, and agree with alot. I think we need the mfgs, we need to get some factory support to get guys to race ovals, the money the factories offer is only in high-end racing, champ 440, pro stock, like any form if racing, if you can't spend with the big dogs, your going to have a rough time winning, we need to give the little guys out there some help to get them to the high end racing level. Outside sponsorship will help, but the factories have to want to focus on ovals again, or else all we're ever going to see is ugly sno-cross stuff.In sno-cross a guy can buy a racer, put 96 studs in it, maybe revalve the shocks, and go race, just like the good ol days of ovals. We need to find a way to get to the good ol days again. I think a super stock class might acheive that, maybe...
maxiracer

Return to General Racing Board