Subscribe Today

QUESTION FOR CHAMP 440 RACERS

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby OldCatRacer » January 22nd, 2002, 11:57 pm

Are you guys happy with the amount of races and locations that you have to run?? Some of you were'nt even born back in the hayday of ovals but if you have ever seen the pics of those races would you like to be able to run at Alexandria, Grand Forks, Owatanno, Internatinal Falls,Wausau and a ton of other tracks that were run back then. I can't believe in this day and age they can't find enough help to have some of the old tracks and promote it bigtime. Is insurance some of it??
lancetyner@yahoo.com
OldCatRacer

Postby kawicat » January 23rd, 2002, 1:18 am

ocr,

if there would be more races, i would definately save up and race next year, maybe not the champ 440 class, but maybe the chmaplite class.

if they would have a vintage class, i would be there in a heartbeat!

organize something and i will be there!

[[green]RIDE HARD, PLAY HARD, STAY HARD, DIE HARD![/green]
kawicat

Postby 29NE » January 23rd, 2002, 1:57 am

I think it is a matter of the old days they used to run on snow and nothing was changed from stock. Today you have to spend thousands of dollars on shocks, track, carbides, studs, just to go racing and never mind being competetive. PJ and crew wanted a sled that was fast and had to be a Cat and they got what they paid for. You need a race track with insurance, wait a minute you need a race track first. land is nice but you must have a truck and tons of water to lay down a track. Lake is nice but we are having trouble keeping the trucks and trailers of today on the top surface. These trailers are loaded with everything we needed to start a parts counter on the ice. the weather does not always cooperate with us either. then you need volunteers (that will work for free), plow trucks, sweepers, the list just goes on. People used to just show up with the sled from the trails and go racing for the day and ride home on their sleds with a trophy between their legs. Now we have to tow them from the ice in tubs of plastic or risk losing $500.00 worth of studs and carbides. We work out of trailers that are heated and practically are machine shops on wheels. The old racers worked on sleds with rusty screwdriver and a nail clipper. You only changed plugs when you broke it by accident with a wrench. Times have changed and the sponsors are not getting any easier to convince this is the greatest place to spend their money. Patrick Mullins 29NE wrench

*This Message was edited on 23-Jan-02 07:02 AM by 29NE*
29NE

Postby kawicat » January 23rd, 2002, 2:48 am

you are exactly right, the average joe can't even think about racing unless his dad is some kind of millionare!

[[green]RIDE HARD, PLAY HARD, STAY HARD, DIE HARD![/green]
kawicat

Postby OldCatRacer » January 23rd, 2002, 3:27 am

Patrick, c'mon they have had fast and costly racing for years. In 1980 my new Cat IFS was $4,550 without the mod kit. To enter a mod or supermod class was $35 to $50 up to $150 but the payout was better because they were way more sleds racing back then. In Dec of '75(the '76 season) at Alexandria there were over 500 sleds and I don't mean entries(104 in the superstock340 class) Then you had Cat, Doo, Polaris, Yamaha with semis pulling up with supermod 250, 340,440 and 440X classes. I believe Larry Coltom walked away with $13,500 and a new boat for winning the Hetten Cup. The factories made movies about these races the stands were packed and they gave away tons of free stuff. The plug companies were passing out free plugs like candy. It was an era from '72 thru '81 that was neat. I'm not wanting to start a argument but I can't believe ovals don't have a lot of the old tracks anymore. And yes we raced on ice. Thanks for you input. Lance
lancetyner@yahoo.com
OldCatRacer

Postby maxiracer » January 23rd, 2002, 3:38 am

29 I'm agree alot with you, but the emphasis on sno-cross hurts having big oval events, the mfgs only think of bump racing now, just look at the race sleds they offer, to oval one now, you have to pitch the stock track, and spend 6 or 700 bucks on a low profile one before you even get the sled home. If you want to race champ 440, you got to buy a one off chassis, Wahl Bros. whatever. None of the factories build a oval sled anymore. You use to be able to buy, from ski doo anyway, a 250 or 340 super mod, or if your resume was good enough a twin-tracker It's hard for a promoter to build hype for a oval race, when he can't get more than a dozen or so champ sleds to his race. Plus ovals could stand a face lift, 3 lap heats and 5 lap finals don't lend themselves for some TV coverage, it's over too quick. 10 lap heats and 15 or 20 lap finals might be better, but that kills the ice. Enduro racing is great, lots of laps for you buck, but mild winters and no help from the factories is making it hard to get involved in that form of racing, at least for new guys anyway. I really don't think there's a easy answer. BTW my rusty screwdriver and nailclippers or still in my toolbox!!! LOL :)
[b]Bevra Vintage Ice Oval Racing. Old School rules...[/b]
maxiracer

Postby Flatout » January 24th, 2002, 12:28 am

Oval 440 Champ racing is expensive but there are less expensive ways to start. There are a ton of oval sleds sitting in peoples garages and barns. A decent chassis can be picked up for around $2500 to $5000 depending on condition and age. Champ lite or Champ Junior sleds use stone stock engines that can be picked up for another $1000 to $1500. Add a good set of pipes for $500 $750 and about $500 in traction products and some good old fashioned wrenching and you can go racing.
If you want a turn key sled, Wahl or Hooper will sell you their last year sled for anywhere from $10000 and up but you usually have to stand in line.*worth it if you win at Eagle River* Right P.J.!
If you are a good horse trader ,you can usually find that the oval guys have a bunch of spare stuff at rock bottom pricing and they are always helpful and ready to help a newcomer.
A good place to start looking is to call retired racers and ask a lot of questions.
Oval racing is definitely a bunch of fun!
Flatout

Postby NorthernSkunk » January 26th, 2002, 3:32 am

We want to run at beausejour someday. But we are hopin for some type of stock class to start in. And when we watch in beausejour if you don't have a brand new stock sled you are gonna be several laps down by the end, plus the experience it takes to set everything up properly. So the cost end of it seems a little extreme to only be able to run two races in a year. we are 8 hours north of Beausejour and run the ice every spring for several weeks, and know how much fun it can be.

what I would be interested in is some sort of older stock classes to run, maybe only allow 1997 to 1999 stock 440's to race in it. It might get some of the old race sleds back on the track, and it might be a little easier on the pocket book for people who want to get started oval racin. Plus be a good class to learn in. I know too many classes can get tiresome at race events, but which class would an oval racer recommend for someone to get started? Age may becoming a factor for some of us too lol, thought I might look funny running the fan class against the 16 and 17 year olds.

I wonder how many oval racers would travel this far north to race on an oval at the beginning of april? Our ice would support the trailers.
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby 29NE » January 26th, 2002, 8:00 am

skunk, John Hooper came up with a solution for this. About three years ago he started a class called trial stock 500 and trail stock 600. It was designed for what you are asking for. You could only run 96 studs and trail carbides that were available from us at the track for $35.00 US as long as you were racing for the day. No sharpening of the carbides were allowed, no lowering the suspension, no handlebar mods were allowed either. Just you and your sled battling another Joe on a simular sled. We have help from Roetin with studs and carbides. This was a big help in the east to get three more racers to replenish the classes that were slowly fading away. We are gonna do it again this year on the Eastern Pro Tour (New York, New England, Quebec and Ontario) This was offered to the other sanctioning bodies but was turned down because they didn't want more classes, or more work etc. Well without anybody to replace the teams that are leaving, we are a dying breed of oval racers. This class keeps the pros out of it and is fun and everybody that raced the year before came back the next year and either moved up to stock classes or stayed there and brought more friends to race the series. I hope others will take the idea and run with it so as to interest others in oval racing.

*This Message was edited on 26-Jan-02 09:00 PM by 29NE*
29NE

Postby NorthernSkunk » January 26th, 2002, 9:31 am

Do you know if the CPTC has ever looked at running classes like these? Maybe if enough people asked beausejour would run that class one day. Can't hurt to ask right.
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Next

Return to General Racing Board