Subscribe Today

?

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

?

Postby swissbliss » January 28th, 2002, 3:43 am

?

*This Message was edited on 01-Feb-02 08:07 AM by swissbliss*
jamie stancil
swissbliss

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby kawicat » January 28th, 2002, 3:56 am

frozen haybales don't really help prevent injury, although they are better than hitting the wall, they are still HARD. I always heard that they used haybales, so the skis would get all "hooked up" and stop the sled from sliding back out onto the track and hitting other sleds. other than that they provide little to no protection.

i hope that this doesn't affect the eagle river race. there are few enough oval races as it is without losing the world championship!
[[green]RIDE HARD, PLAY HARD, STAY HARD, DIE HARD![/green]
kawicat

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby race00 » January 28th, 2002, 4:20 am

quoting Wally Scheer from pro-ice, "Hay bales are sent from heaven for racers" There can never be too many hay bales at a race, they are pretty much the drivers only protection, and they do work. It is a soft hit into hay bales, even if they are frozen compared to hitting a solid wall, talking from personal experience.
race00

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby Flatout » January 28th, 2002, 4:41 am

I agree with Steve! The bales should be 2 high and extend the entire arc of the corners and be at least 6 ft from the boards. Not enough hay is the biggest cause of accidents at all the races and i would gladly give up my admission refund to pay for the extra bales. Steve you are right on when you say more bales!
Flatout

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby yak165 » January 28th, 2002, 4:49 am

Why stop at haybales, why not look into air fences. Sure it is expensive, but how long do they last, and how much safer are they?
yak165

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby 17champ » January 28th, 2002, 7:24 am

Hey kawicat,just because it's freezing out side don't mean the hay is solid!!!!They don't soak the bails with water.duuuu......I have unfortunatly hit the hay and it works great.IT's not there hold the sleds off the track after the wreck....
17champ

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby kawicat » January 28th, 2002, 7:25 am

i guess what i was told is wrong!

thanks steve

kawicat

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby OldCatRacer » January 28th, 2002, 7:35 am

Been there done that and hay bales work. It was nice to have an easy thud of a hay bale over a wall or gaurd rail.
lancetyner@yahoo.com
OldCatRacer

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby kawicat » January 28th, 2002, 7:43 am

since i am talking with a couple of top drivers (could i get an autograph, a ride on your sleds, or both?), let me ask you something else. if the bales don't freeze, then they are not made out of hay (alfalfa), they must be made out of straw. since they are always covered by the banners, which are they made out of? hay has a much higher moisture content than straw, and in winter (on a very cold day) they will indeed freeze.

i was at eagle river for the vintage sled day, and i thought there a lot of hay. i wasn't there the day of the accident though. where did ed hit exactly?

...and Mr. Ski-doo (chris), i know they don't soak the bales with water, duh! just kidding, good luck to you and steve the rest of the winter.

*This Message was edited on 28-Jan-02 12:49 PM by kawicat*
kawicat

DECKER IN TROUBLE?

Postby thechamp27 » January 28th, 2002, 10:49 am

He hit the wall just coming out of #4 where the bales stopped, they put bales further down the straight after it happened.
I've also hit the hay and I tell you it sucks cleaning the straw out of the carbs, but beleive me it is a lot softer than a wall, I don't think they can ever have enough bales.
Special thanks to our 2015 season sponsors. Auctionblock.com, Fly Racing, Woody's Traction, Wahl Bros., Western Machine and Engineering
thechamp27

Next

Return to General Racing Board