Subscribe Today

Just Starting Restoration

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby Vin_E » November 26th, 2003, 6:09 am

Hello,

I was just given 2 snowmobiles, One is a 1971 Arctic Cat Lynx with a Kawasaki 292cc type B engine. It needs a lot of work from the ground up. The other one is a 1971 Puma with a Kohler 399cc engine. This one turned over, but that was as far as we got. I've never tried to restore anything, let alone a snowmobile, but I remember as a kid going to Grandma's house and riding on the Lynx and I want to restore both of these cats as close to original as possible. Any ideas to get started would be greatly apprieciated appreciated. Sources for parts, or just advice, I'm starting from the beginning.

Thanks,
[email]efterfield@hotmail.com[/email]
Vin_E

Postby smcelhe » November 26th, 2003, 6:46 am

Wow.....my brother's and I had Cats from the early 70's.

Where to start???? I'd probably pull the engines first. A couple nuts, some wires, hoses and cables and the engine comes out. Sit it ont he work bench, clean it....rebuild the carb, clutch, replace the pull start rope, etc. Clean/repair belly pan area.....put the engine back in.

Get it running....then drop the rear suspension and replace broken cleats/guides, etc.
smcelhe

Postby sledhead84 » November 27th, 2003, 10:27 am

Restoration is a long process, good luck and I hope everything turns out for the best.
sledhead84
2003 F7 EFI Arctic Cat
2002 Arctic Cat ZL 600 EFI SS
sledhead84

Postby joshc » November 27th, 2003, 11:40 am

What I did with my Boa Ski was take everything off. The body was rusting and paint was chipping, I sand blasted it and got paint mixed at napa. Next I went to one of the local sticker places and had decals made up. Then I got paint for the hood, I had a special flex agent added to flex with the fiberglass hood. After that was all dried I placed the stickers on. I just started to polish my bumpers, and next I am gettin a new seat made up. Hope this helps and good luck, you will have fun doing this and have fun on the sleds on club rides.
Ride the Green
joshc

Return to Vintage Sleds Board