Subscribe Today

ANY WAYS TO BOOST ACCELERATION

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby crazy_j_kx80 » March 28th, 2004, 11:07 am

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO BOOST ACCELERATION AND HORSEPOWER WITHOUT BUYING ANYTHING FOR IT
Yamaha v-max

"i heard a little meow behind me so i punched the throttle and that cat has been eaten kitty litter a long time now."
crazy_j_kx80

Postby Norsk » March 28th, 2004, 11:17 am

You can usually just by "tweaking" or tuning your engine, suspension, and chassis, there can be some small gains if you know what your doing. By truing everything, or making sure that everything is in perfect alignment and adjusted perfectly, but that is usually only going to make for minimal short gains. If you want performance, you have to pay for it somehow, whether it is just clutch kits/parts, gearing, etc....
Norsk

Postby sledwrench » March 28th, 2004, 12:21 pm

On what? Boosting acceleration, can be done with higher rpm engagement (clutching), gearing, tons of power, reducing weight. Having running gear in top order will help. Suspension and weight transfer always help. It all depends on what you're riding, and what you're willng to give up,like top end.
sledwrench

Postby reelrazor » March 28th, 2004, 1:35 pm

[quote]DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO BOOST ACCELERATION AND HORSEPOWER WITHOUT BUYING ANYTHING FOR IT[/quote]

There are no 'free rides'. Even optimizing everything like Norsk said will cost you in time. If there were ways to get free HP or acceleration, don't you think the manufacturers would have done it?

You could switch to methanol, all you would have to do is shave your cylinder heads down, rejet, and adjust your timing. Keep in mind you will have about half the fuel economy and you can't just stop at the station along the trail and buy it.
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Postby kawicat » April 8th, 2004, 4:41 pm

stripping weight is the only way to go faster for free. :)
[[green]RIDE HARD, PLAY HARD, STAY HARD, DIE HARD![/green]
kawicat

Postby reelrazor » April 8th, 2004, 4:50 pm

Yep, kawicat has got it.

Lose weight. Both on you and the sled. This will help acceleration more than ANYTHING else.

Invest in a plasma cutter and cut everything down. If it's steel make it aluminum. If it's aluminum, make it carbon fibre or ti. If it is redundant, lose it.
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » April 8th, 2004, 6:07 pm

Hmm Octane Boost and Oxygen boost and those nifty fuel catalyzers. 20 bucks and you got a small kick in the pants but I hear its a noticable one.
"I find that your American beer is a lot like making love in a canoe, it's ****ing close to water."
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Postby snake321 » April 9th, 2004, 2:19 am

rotating mass, my boys, rotating mass...............
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/883775/smallsnake.gif[/img]
snake321

Postby Pipe dream racing » April 10th, 2004, 1:52 pm

This is the easiest way on a Phazer. spend the 249 on a good pipe from AAEN. PSI, or the like. This particular sled gains more from a bolt on pipe then any sled I have ever tweaked. I know you said without sending money but this one works to well for cheap.
[i]James Lemire[/i]
Pipe dream racing

Return to Vintage Sleds Board