Subscribe Today

Summer-izing

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Summer-izing

Postby 74accheetah » March 15th, 2005, 12:21 am

Ok, the time is getting close to putting the sleds up for the summer time. What do you do to your sled to ensure an easy start up for next season?

Fuel stabilizer? Wad of tinfoil in the exhaust for rodent prevention? Top off the tank? Drain the carb? What stinks is I have no garage access so the 'ol boys sit outside under a tarp for the summer months.

Jb
74accheetah

Summer-izing

Postby cory49 » March 15th, 2005, 2:21 am

Alright, this is what I do...
Put a steel wool rag in the exhaust, I lift off the back suspension off the ground, also for the front so no pressure on skis for months. I always like to hear my sled run during the summer so I have a tank a gas in there with fuel stabilizer.
Instead of that you could always fog you sled...

Cory
[b]Sledless[/b]
cory49

Summer-izing

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » March 15th, 2005, 2:37 am

I kept my carb in good shape by firing up the sled every month or so. But I keep the weight off the track and I back off the tension. Use fuel stabilizer in the gas.
"I find that your American beer is a lot like making love in a canoe, it's ****ing close to water."
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Summer-izing

Postby steve03052 » March 15th, 2005, 5:40 am

I don't want to hear about this yet.
Steve G
In Southern New Hampshire

73 Elan 250
steve03052

Summer-izing

Postby Uller God » March 15th, 2005, 5:49 am

I just throw all the empties out then toss a tarp on 'em. If you leave a bottle of Jack cracked in the bulkhead all the critters stay out.
Uller God

Summer-izing

Postby rickyone » March 15th, 2005, 11:35 am

Actually running your sled in the summer isn't the best idea. They usually don't get up to full operating temp after a few minute no load run. What happens is they do get warm enough so that after you shut it down they will collect moisture from condisation. My tryed and true way is to shut off gas or dissconnect gas line. Start sled and let it run out of gas (this will empty the carb so no old gas will be left in the bowl). Drain the gas tank, read the fine print on your stabilizer most are only good for 90 days. Take out the plugs put a little 2cyl oil down the hole and turn the engine over a few times. Moth balls under the hood to keep the rodents out and steel wool up the tail pipe. Wrap the sled with a good cover. Remember those plastic tarps will collect moisture on the under side from the ground which will stay on the sled and cause rust. A breathable tarp is better for outside storage.
rickyone

Summer-izing

Postby 101super6 » March 15th, 2005, 2:36 pm

I agree with Ricky. When I had my Polaris, I followed this procedure every year and she always started right up within three pulls every winter once I put fuel in the tank. I would also install new plugs after initial start up after the oil in the cylinders had burned out. I had buddies that would leave the gas in with stabilizer, and some had real problems when sledding time came. As Ricky said, most stabilizers will only preserve the fuel for 90 days, especially with today's gasoline. I agree, though, that it is very hard to resist the itch to hear her run over the summer!
[red]1976 Massey Whirlwind 340[/red]
101super6

Summer-izing

Postby reelrazor » March 15th, 2005, 3:02 pm

I like to wash the sled and then,

I like to stabilize a full tank of fuel(Briggs and Stratton Fuel Conditioner and Stabiliser rocks over Sta-Bil, imho-doesn't reeeek and WILL keep fuel decent for six months or more) , start it and run it til warm, then hit it with the fogging oil a couple times. Enough to make it smoke good. Then, I hit the button on the fogging oil 'til it stalls on it.

Unweight the sled. Hose down any wear points with spray grease(I like Lubriplate's 'Chain and Cable lube'. Sprays on thin, firms up after a couple minutes and is clear.)Grease all zerks. Drain and refill chaincase. Pop the belt loose. Plug exhaust. Park in shade(or make shade for it) plus cover.

I will also roll the engine over a few times in the off season-just slow pulls a few revolutions.
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Summer-izing

Postby steve03052 » March 16th, 2005, 9:47 am

Alright, it's 45, sunny and the snow is melting fast. Guess it's unavoidable to talk about putting them away.

What is a "breathable" tarp?

The original cover to my Elan has been gone forever. Should I invest in a universal cover or is there something more practical out there?

BTW I like the mothballs idea, just don't put them in the gas tank.
Steve G
In Southern New Hampshire

73 Elan 250
steve03052

Summer-izing

Postby Polaris_03 » March 16th, 2005, 2:30 pm

I fog the engine,drain the carbs,stabilize the fuel,get the track off the ground,and put it in the garage. If you have to store your sleds outside try to find a building or lean-to of some sort. A regular cover builds up condensation in the engine and collects moisture and can wreck an engine and other parts. Other than these steps sit and count the days to winter snowfall and race the grass drags to keep the smell of 2-stroke oil in my system. It like beer you don't have it for awhile you get depressed.
1970 Polaris Charger-restored
1974 Polaris TX 440-oval racer
1975 Polaris TX 340-trail sled
1975 Polaris TX 250-ditch runner
1977 Polaris Colt 340-Rough but runs
1983 Polaris Sport 440-direct drive
1987 Polaris Indy Sport-My "Newer"sled
Always looking for TX's-complete or parts
Polaris_03

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board