Subscribe Today

almost done my looongtrack elan

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby toocheaptosmoke » August 26th, 2005, 2:59 am

is the track a cleated track or not? i think i know that metal you're talking about, i use for hack jobs, i am not quite sure if it will hold up. did you use fairly large washers on the bolts? i have had smaller bolts kind of "rotate" and rip a chunk out of the strip or break the strip in half. have you done any re-gearing?
1978 Ski Doo RV 340
1979 freestyle Blizzard 5500
1980 Polaris TX 440
1980 Ski Doo Blizzard 5500
1980 Arctic Cat panther 440- WIDENED.
1981 Ski Doo Blizzard MX 5500 (parts)
1983 Polaris indy 400
toocheaptosmoke

Postby redneckdan » August 28th, 2005, 8:26 am

The problem I can see of is metal fatigue from the metal strips going over the drivers. I would try using either nylon or rubber straps across the joints. Use grade 8 bolts and nuts, fender washers on both the bolt head and nut sides woulf be a good idea. I don't imagine you will be going to fast with this track so a catistrophic faliure wouldn't be to dangerous.
How much longer till it snows?
redneckdan

Postby 73elan » August 29th, 2005, 4:53 am

it's not a cleated track. i've used mostly carrige bolts so the inside of the track would be as smooth as possible and to prevent tearouts, and when i ran out of those i put washers on regular bolts. if it runs smoothly the way it is i'll most likely take all the bolts out one by one and put as big a washer as i can find on them.

if this way doesn't work i've got some ideas for using rubber belting as the connector.

i've taken some pictures but i'll have to wait till the film gets used up to get some on here. i really need a digital camera
1973 Ski-doo Elan 250
1976 Ski-doo Olympique 300
1978 Moto-ski Mirage
73elan

Postby stilldoo'nit » August 30th, 2005, 6:34 pm

I like your creativity, but I'm not sure the track is going to hold up. Even if the track stays together, I'm worried you are going to have never ending alignment problems, from stretching of drilled holes in the track, and maybe the holes in your tin strips stretching too. I'm not sure how the big washers are going to like the bend at the rear and front of the track either. Back to the drawing board if it doesn't work eh?:R Everything else sounds alright, just the track I'd be worried about.
74 Tnt 340SE,went boom, now it's got a 440
76 Everest 440, restoring, many shiny pieces
75 Motoski Futura 440, minus a track, got one?
93 AC Wildcat MC 700
stilldoo'nit

Postby redneckdan » August 31st, 2005, 2:50 am

what he said does make sense, alightment is gonna be a *****.
redneckdan

Postby 73elan » August 31st, 2005, 3:12 am

the track connections are definetly my downfall at this point. u make very good points stilldoo'nit, i hadn't thought of the washers having to go around the drivers and rear axle. thats the thing, i can compensate for one weak spot in the plan but it might make another aspect not work.

if the current setup doesn't work, it's definetly back to the drawing board, it will work, i just don't no when.

my original idea and the one i'm coming back to in my head is joining the pieces together along the lug so that the little piece the track clip covers is cut in half. problems: the lug is right there and will have to be cut off, and there's a metal rod in there. if i could get it this way i know how i'd make the joint and i think this would be a big help with the alignment issues. any thoughts on this idea
1973 Ski-doo Elan 250
1978 Moto-ski Mirage
73elan

Postby 73elan » August 31st, 2005, 3:53 am

alright, i was just out in the garage and i fired the beast up. the exhaust is kinda messed up so i couldn't run it for long but it was enough to get the track moving and check it out.

after the motor was running i started revving it up and got the track moving. it was running alot smoother than i expected but at the end when i was winding it down and shutting it off, it kinda skipped on the rear axle once or twice. it seemed to be fine under load and the problems started when it was unloaded.

this is also without track adjustment built in yet so the track needs to be tightened, as well i don't have the springs on yet that push the rear axle towards the ground. i'm hoping those things will help. good start i think though
1973 Ski-doo Elan 250
1978 Moto-ski Mirage
73elan

Postby redneckdan » August 31st, 2005, 3:56 am

If worse comes to worst, you can always get a cheap take off track at a sled shop.
redneckdan

Postby PolCats » September 1st, 2005, 5:11 am

Do you know anyone who can do "aligator" clips and then slide a steel pin through them. The original track on my 66 Daddler has this type of splice. It is very commonly used on conveyor belts. My daddler has a 10 horse in it.:B Good luck
66 Ski Daddler :B
1 68 Ski Daddler
2 69 Ski Daddlers
69 Mustang
69 Panther
70 Swinger
72 Colt 295
72 Colt 340 SS
73 Panther 440
74 JDX8
PolCats