Subscribe Today

yamaha clutch puller bolt?

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby jake_arcticcat » November 15th, 2006, 3:27 am

What would the size and thread be on a yammaha clutch so i could make a puller
jake_arcticcat

Postby Snojet Steve » November 16th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Maybe take the bolt out of the clutch and look at it.
Snojet Steve

Postby 440F/A » November 16th, 2006, 3:49 pm

what would that tell u it has to thread into the cludtch not the crank u handy
440F/A

Postby Trucker73 » November 18th, 2006, 12:36 am

Dont even try to make your own puller just spend the money on a good one so you dont wreck your clutch.
Jason
Trucker73

Postby Snowman1000 » November 18th, 2006, 2:08 am

Definetly dont try and make your own you will save alot of money in the long run just buying the puller I wrecked one inner clutch sheave with a gear puller and then the inner threads on the clutch trying to use a homemade unit before I had to just breakdown and just buy one. Now im lookin for a 71 motoski grand prix, clutch if anyone has one.
On tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Snowman1000

Postby Snojet Steve » November 18th, 2006, 3:11 am

Oops, sorry.. that only works on Scorpions.
If you are talking about the earlier clutches that were just sheaves pressed to the crank then there are no pullers for them. There are 3 bolt thread holes and you have to use a flywheel puller. For the later ones 77+, get the right puller. Dealers should still have them.
Snojet Steve

Postby AHood » November 18th, 2006, 7:12 am

[quote=Snojet Steve]Oops, sorry.. that only works on Scorpions.
If you are talking about the earlier clutches that were just sheaves pressed to the crank then there are no pullers for them. There are 3 bolt thread holes and you have to use a flywheel puller. For the later ones 77+, get the right puller. Dealers should still have them.[/quote]

steve on those early steel clutch sheaves with the 3 holes i have been able to get them off by simply holding the crank between your legs and let the sheave rest against the top of your legs and just hit the end of the crank with a hammer lightly make sure you put a piece of brass on the end of the crank too so you dont mar it. should pop right off though. make sure the crank doesnt slip right through and hit the floor though.
AHood

Postby AHood » November 23rd, 2006, 6:05 pm

measured my puller and the thread looks to be 19 X 1.5 MM
AHood

Postby johnny rotten » November 28th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Ahood, are you talking about the 'fixed hub' portion on the primary? I would love to know how to do this. I can take the outside off with a puller with zero issues. I picked up an SS440 motor last night for my new sled. Unfortunately, its still in the old sled. The crank goes through the frame and then the clutch. Would my Yamaha 433, 337 motors be the same as the Yamaha SS440 - 'procedure wise' for taking that fixed part of the primary off?

I will send some picks soon of my GPX and SS440, bring on the cold.
johnny rotten

Postby AHood » November 28th, 2006, 2:15 pm

[quote=johnny rotten]Ahood, are you talking about the 'fixed hub' portion on the primary? I would love to know how to do this. I can take the outside off with a puller with zero issues. I picked up an SS440 motor last night for my new sled. Unfortunately, its still in the old sled. The crank goes through the frame and then the clutch. Would my Yamaha 433, 337 motors be the same as the Yamaha SS440 - 'procedure wise' for taking that fixed part of the primary off?

I will send some picks soon of my GPX and SS440, bring on the cold.[/quote]

i think we may be confusing which clutch were talking about here. but anyway you shouldnt have to take anything apart to get it off just take out the main clutch holding bolt and thread in the puller and the whole thing should come off. keep in mind a large bolt wont do it by itself you need to have an extended nose on the bolt to reach all the way in and push against the crank.

the ss440 motors are different. they may use a similar clutch but i have no expeience with them.

ill take a pic of the puller and the clutch it removes this weekend.
AHood

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board