Subscribe Today

suspension upgrade

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

suspension upgrade

Postby #20fan » December 31st, 2005, 4:14 am

I have an '86 Indy Trail, it runs great but I would like to upgrade the suspension. My Brother in law has an extra 10 rear susp for it. good idea? also what about shocks? Will a front end set up from a later sled fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
#20fan

suspension upgrade

Postby jpiler » January 1st, 2006, 3:19 pm

I completed my EXTRA-10 swap this weekend,took an extra 10 from a 98 xc600 and put it in a 93 xlt,it was really simple and easy,i went to a dealer and measured countless sleds with the extra 10 and they were all the same.my measurements for the xlt were,

stock front hole,just drilled out higher ghost hole from inside.

rear bolt is 5 1/4 down from tunnel measured from outside,(stuck a piece of tin under seat to get measurement)

23 1/8 center to center on the front and rear bolt .

that was it,everywhere i searched guy's were saying that it was to tight of a fit,i had 1 1/2 inches of play in the track after i installed with the adjusters all the way out.

There is a higher "ghost" hole on the tunnel in front, drill it out from the inside.Rear bolt hole is 5 1/4 in. down from the top of the tunnel (place a peice of tin under the seat and measure from that.it is 23 1/8 inches from center of hole to center of hole. thats it ....easy swap...well eorth the trouble.
jpiler

suspension upgrade

Postby #20fan » January 2nd, 2006, 9:07 am

thanx! Ithink I'll try it, but the susp from my brother in law has two rail cracks so i'll have to find anothe setup.
#20fan

suspension upgrade

Postby cosmic muffin » January 23rd, 2006, 2:34 pm

If the cracks on those rails are by what looks like a camels hump. Cut a piece of alum. weld it in next to it.Redrill the hole and it will last longer than new!
cosmic muffin

suspension upgrade

Postby snoguy14 » January 23rd, 2006, 4:19 pm

since i can't weld aluminum i just cut the broken mount holes off and made 2 identical steel mounts i used 1/4 bolts with nylon locking nuts problem solved heavyer yes, stronger seems to be,but it beats the hell out of paying 298.00cnd for a rail.I just shim to the front arm.
I'm not fast, your just slow.
snoguy14

suspension upgrade

Postby snoking » January 24th, 2006, 2:33 pm

good luck , and keep looking on e-bay for a parts sled
snoking

Return to Tech Talk