Subscribe Today

670 HO timing problem

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

670 HO timing problem

Postby froesen » January 5th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Hi, guys. New to the site, hi to all.

I have a 1999 MXZ 670 HO. I checked the timing as per ski-doo spec the other day, and it was retarded; I verified the timing mark on the flywheel, it was correct, so I adjusted the pickup. Ended up adjusting it to the full-advance position, but it's not enough....timing's still retarded. Any advice/ideas? Thanks.
froesen

670 HO timing problem

Postby jpiler » January 6th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Verify your timing prcedure with a ski-doo mechanic.If thats all good your crankshaft twisted.This can happen easily when you blow a belt at wide open throttle.
jpiler

670 HO timing problem

Postby Late Braker » January 8th, 2006, 3:16 pm

I would say that the brass gear that run's the rotory vale is on its way out and if it lets go it will most likely take ur crank with it and then its going to b very pricey to fix...
Late Braker

670 HO timing problem

Postby froesen » January 8th, 2006, 3:58 pm

as for the crankshaft twist, i figured that checking the timing mark would determine that...so i know that the mag piston and timing mark are clocked correctly. the engine was rebuild last summer, including crank rebuild, which is why i suspected the timing mark first, could have been clocked wrong, but i don't think it is. no belts blown since motor rebuild. as for the timing valve gear, there was no apparent or excessive damage, and i can't see that changing the ignition timing...but i will try to talk to a doo mechanic.

thanks
nik
froesen

Return to Tech Talk