Subscribe Today

BRP Rebuilt 800 Engine Break In

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

Postby whitedust » February 20th, 2006, 4:06 am

I just had a factory rebuilt 800 short block engine installed. The sled MPM does not know this is a new engine. What should I do to break the engine in? How many miles will it take? When can I rip grades and lakes again for extended periods of time?
whitedust

Postby powder_hound » February 20th, 2006, 7:12 am

OK you should just take it easy for the first 60 miles and dont hold it a constant speed...speed up then slow down for a bit...then just take it easy keeping the revs low...if you want you can add a bit of oil to the gas just help the break in...then slowly start givin it more and more...me i would go out by myself for good 60 miles and then start hittin the grades...by yourself you dont have to hammer down like when you are with your buddys...good luck
powder_hound

Postby U.P. Skidoo » February 22nd, 2006, 2:22 pm

I would have made Pete put a new break-in chip in the mpem......
[img]http://www.freepichosting.com/Thumbs/421591018/1/600/450.jpg[/img][img]http://www.freepichosting.com/Thumbs/421591018/0/200/136.jpg[/img]
U.P. Skidoo

Postby whitedust » February 23rd, 2006, 12:41 pm

The dealer did not seem concerned regarding the new chip and he basically said go ride with out holding WOT at extended blasts. So this is where I'm at now.

Pushing about 230 break in miles now and seems much faster engine than mile 1-50. I turned up secondary clutch defection to 5 only number 6 left as seemed like it was up past 8000 on shifts. I sure did not want the new engine over reving. Current belt has about 1,100 miles but I'm trying to get all I can since spending $2,200 on new engine. I ran 2 gas tanks of gas using 1 liter of blue marble oil per tank so 2 liters of BM to 2 tanks of gas. Blue marble oil of choice in oil reservoir. I varied the throttle as much as I could and stayed in the Twistys. Is this engine broken in yet?? How far can I run the secondary clutch deflection like I said I'm on #5 only #6 left. What should the secondary clutch deflection number be set on for new belt as this will probably be a trail change for me next month?
whitedust

Return to Tech Talk