Subscribe Today

Underpowered indy 500

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

Underpowered indy 500

Postby mc_hammered650rxl » February 9th, 2009, 3:01 am

I am the not-so-proud owner of a 1998 Polaris Indy 500. I bought it used in ok shape, but it's only gotten worse from there...

This season, I've had a lot of problems with loss of power, especially in deep powder. I know it's not a boondocking machine, but I use it for that anyway. I believe that part of the problem might be the cowl being covered with snow, cutting off air flow, but the intake manifold pulls air from just behing the windshield, so I don't know why that would be a problem.

It also tends to foul plugs often and on bad days it is just sluggish. Carb cleaner made it run great, until the next tank of gas, when the problem came right back.

Also, are there any simple, inexpensive power mods available that would give this thing some balls?

Thanks,
Mike.
mc_hammered650rxl

Underpowered indy 500

Postby Norsk » February 14th, 2009, 6:27 am

Did you pull the carbs apart and clean them? Was the next tank of gas on the same day and run through while it was still warm? Fuel filter?
Norsk

Underpowered indy 500

Postby mc_hammered650rxl » February 15th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Thanks very much for the reply.

I cleaned the carbs just before the beginning of the season, but the sled did sit for a little while...

The next tank of gas was about a four days later. I haven't looked at the fuel filter at all.
mc_hammered650rxl

Return to Tech Talk