Subscribe Today

2002 viper owners only

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

2002 viper owners only

Postby yamaha guy » March 30th, 2002, 11:39 pm

please serious talk only
vipers do have some problems. Most of which have been resolved by the factory I want to talk about those issues which have not yet been resolved IE- cooling problem and stiff suspension. My viper has experianced overheating in marginal conditions .I am very pleased with its overall preformance tho, and when these items have been addressed it will rank with the best.If you own a viper and have had problems or not had problems please reply. Everyone is sayiny put a rear heatexchanger on it and the problem goes away well maybe maybe your just covering up for some other problem like defective waterpump or a blockage or a hole not drilled large enough and maybe their right and they just dont have enough cooling capacity. right now my viper is in the hands of yamaha factory personal I ofered it to them as a working example of a viper that is experinacing this phenoma.the suspension will be easy I understand they are working on a revalve solution now I want to gather info to help yamaha resolve these issues and update our vipers to thier utmost potential please visit my website www.snowmobilenuts.com thanks the yamaha guy Gary
yamaha guy

2002 viper owners only

Postby ZR800EFI » March 31st, 2002, 11:06 pm

My buddy has one and we were over on some logging roads in Quebec a couple weeks ago with almost now snow and his didn't overheat. The Formula III with us had a guage and was right near the red most of the way.

As for the ride, he hates it. He likes almost everything else about the sled, except for the ride. He hates it so much, he might buy his first Cat this year. The past 5-years he's owned a new Yammy, and he'd love to try the RX1, but is worried about the suspension.
ZR800EFI

2002 viper owners only

Postby viper1958 » April 1st, 2002, 1:53 am

No over heating even in marginal conditions. My water pump did leak it was the gasket. Love the rear suspension it does what it was advertised to do. All in all I love the sled it does run on the hot side and I beleave it should have a rear heat exchanger. 2287 Miles of fun!!!!
viper1958

2002 viper owners only

Postby Luv2sled » April 1st, 2002, 3:28 am

If your Viper is overheating than a rear exchanger isn't going to fix it.....there has got to be something else wrong. As for the ride...just personal preference, some liked it some didn't, if you don't like it than change it. The 03 should rock!
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

2002 viper owners only

Postby ViperMan02 » April 1st, 2002, 10:01 am

I'm with Luv2led it can't be the rear exchanger, my brother and I have driven in very bad conditions, sometimes with no snow at all,for miles, and it never over heated. We drive then hard, we don't like the suspension. I hope they come up with a fix. Other then that, we are happy with our Vipers!
ViperMan02

2002 viper owners only

Postby yamaha guy » April 1st, 2002, 9:51 pm

its interesting that you mentioned that you ride hard I have discovered that this only happens when you ride easy and under 40 miles an hour They have had my sled for over a week and no word yet I dont even know exactly where it is ,somewhere in northern wisconsin. Thanks for the help please keep it comming
yamaha guy

2002 viper owners only

Postby Luv2sled » April 2nd, 2002, 12:42 am

yamaha guy....be sure to post a follow up here and tell us what they found.
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

2002 viper owners only

Postby MXZ_Kris » April 2nd, 2002, 2:58 am

A friend experienced overheating with his Viper in Kap during the 3rd week of February. They were running around 80MPH & the snow conditions were perfect.

That's his main beef with sled.

*This Message was edited on 02-Apr-02 07:59 AM by MXZ_Kris*
MXZ_Kris

2002 viper owners only

Postby yamaha guy » April 2nd, 2002, 8:27 am

Thanks for the interest. They have had my viper for more than a week and I hope to hear something soon
yamaha guy

2002 viper owners only

Postby Hunt1000rx-1 » April 3rd, 2002, 1:27 am

I have an srx the motor is the same but the crank is a little diferant if I ride to a gas station shut it off to get gas the start it up the heat light comes on then it will go off after a little bit
Hunt1000rx-1

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum