Subscribe Today

Should the RX-1 be the sled of the year?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby mnsnowboy » October 26th, 2002, 1:47 pm

Obviously, if you have ever scrolled down on this home page far enough, you have seen that the magazine has given the sled of the year award to the Yamaha RX-1. There is some cool technology involved with this sled. I would like to hear some opinions on whether or not this sled should have gotten the award. I just want some opinions, not trying to "Stir the pot." Thanx peeps!!
Kick ass!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/rocking.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/hellyeahFireIcon.gif[/IMG][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/bobZilla.gif height=90 width=20[/img]
mnsnowboy

Postby Sid440 » October 26th, 2002, 3:44 pm

Absolutely. I would never own one, but it means so much to the sport. Sure the rev brings new ergo's, and the fireparrot is fast & light, but that's nothing compared to a performance stroker. We all need to see sleds like this being made. 5 years ago, nobody would have imagined you we would see a 4-stroke in a trail sled, and here it is, and it's perfectly up to the task. Not everyone's cup o tea, but it's the concept that's so important. Any other choice would have been so ignorant that the magazine would lose all credibility. Sure, people complain that it's too heavy for THEM, or THEY don't like the looks, or THEY like ditch bangers, so if THEY don't like it, it obviously CAN'T be sled of the year. Phooey, if you don't like it, don't buy it.
Sid440

Postby culvert » October 26th, 2002, 4:12 pm

HE!! no and I use to own a Yamaha, the sx700 I had is the reason why I would never buy a Yamaha again.

*This Message was edited on 26-Oct-02 09:13 PM by culvert*
[img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/ericmarquardt/Picture806small.jpg[/img]
Fear the Culvert
culvert

Postby '01 MXZ 800 » October 26th, 2002, 8:12 pm

No Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only reason the RX-1Ton was voted sled of the year by SnowBlower Mag. is because THEY are so Fu@#ING PRO YAMAPIG&ARCTIC CRAP!!GOD it makes me sick,and I can't wait 'til my subscription runs out! If they didn't choose the 1-Ton it would have been the F-7 PU$$Y CAT next for sure!I honestly believe it should have been the R.E.V. It is to me! I'm not just supporting the R.E.V. because I ride Doo's,I believe that sleds features have the most radical changes in the industry and in the sport alltogether! After all Ski-Doo (J.A. Bombardier)Invented the Snowmobile and now they RE-Invented it!! I'm not totally sold on the R.E.V. design just yet myself though!I would like to try one out first before buying one,but I am more on it than the other 2! They whole concept of the R.E.V. is awesome and I hope it rides as good as I have personally heard from other people(Dealership Owners that rode them at the dealer demo in the U.P.)that it does! The idea of a 4-Stroke in a snowmobile just doesn't appeal to me at all!I figure 1 day they all will be 4-strokes so until then,YOU CAN HAVE THEM!!!!Especially if they are going to be so Freakin' heavy! WHY!!!That's the reason why I don't own a MACH-Z. Not to mention, I've seen the RX-1Tons run and I've ran against them at the Grass Drags on my 800 and they AREN'T $HIT!!! If the 800 TRIP/TRIP from the MACH was put in the ZX chassis I would have on in a second! As far as the F-sleds go I think A.C. released them way too early! I believe that they just hurried up and threw them together becuse they knew that the R.E.V. was going to be available after seeing them run in the X-Games & SnoX last season! I could sit here all day and pic apart the reasons I don't like the F-CATS but I'll only give you a few! First off why the hell would you want to have a narower track in the trails?! I can't imagine having a smaller track on my sled! It's hard enough getting it to hook up with a 15" wide track without studding it much less on a narrower one! Also why didn't the Engineers design that sled to allow the engines from both the ZR & F chassis to be used in that sled?! It's what I would have done! But I guess they figured the A.C. boys being the SHEEP that they are would believe everything that A.C says an flock to the dealers and buy them like mad! And they were right! Now fast foward to Sept. and all of the sudden, HOLY $HIT DID YOU (F-SLEDS) GET FU@#'IN FAT OVER THE SUMMER!!!!And now people are having to go and pick these sleds up that they were hyped & lied to about to get them to buy!BAH!BAH!BAH!BAH!BAH! That's what you all get for being such SHEEP!!!Now all of the sudden all kinds of problems are being found with them and it's not even hardly started snowing in most places yet!HUMM!!!Makes you kind of wonder what the hell's going on over there at Arctic Junk! Are those guys hitting the "GREEN" leaves at lunch or what?! I saw one in person on a dealership floor about 2 weeks ago and OH MY GOD! did that thing have one of the worst fit&finishes I've ever seen on a sled before in my life! I don't recall hearing about the R.E.V. having any problems,as a matter of fact I hear it's been doing quite well this year in Grass Drags,even in a "Slower" Chasssis than the regular MXZ's! Another reason I didn't order a R.E.V. this year is that I'm waiting to see what is going to happen next year engine wise at Ski-Doo.Such as, Is there going to be a Bigger twin made,800 H.O. in the R.E.V.and ZX Chassis.What's going to happen to the MACH's?Will they put the Mach motor in the MXZ ADRENALINES?! That would be one BAD A$$ Sweet,Fast Sled!For now I'm having to much fun KICK'IN ASS on my '01 ! Just my $2.02

*This Message was edited on 27-Oct-02 01:13 AM by '01 MXZ 800*

*This Message was edited on 27-Oct-02 01:13 AM by '01 MXZ 800*

*This Message was edited on 27-Oct-02 01:14 AM by '01 MXZ 800*

*This Message was edited on 27-Oct-02 01:14 AM by '01 MXZ 800*

*This Message was edited on 27-Oct-02 01:19 AM by '01 MXZ 800*
'01 MXZ 800

Postby slick_jimmyb » October 26th, 2002, 8:21 pm

What He said.
REV-ROX
slick_jimmyb

Postby R_TICAT » October 26th, 2002, 10:07 pm

In and of itself, I don't think it is worthy of SOTY, but...given the state of the sport these days with all the greenies trying to shut us down, it IS a huge step in the right direction when we need it most.
Should Cat's 4-stroke have been SOTY last year?...Of course not, but that too was a step in the right direction when we needed it. Its just the RX-1 appeals to more of the demographic that has the market share.
I personally hope that 2-strokes can and will be made as fuel/emmissions efficient as a 4-stroke. They're getting there! In the mean time, the RX-1 supplies what many sledders demand: Horse Power! And it does it without the emmissions of a 2-stroke.
I wouldn't buy one either, but that's just me. If Cat comes out with a HP 4-stroke, I will certainly take a serious look at it.
R_TICAT
R_TICAT

Postby Mainecat » October 26th, 2002, 10:25 pm

The Rx has NO new tech at all. They took a bike motor and put it into a snowmobile. They didn't even use the efi system. It has a old skid and a-arms which are old tech. The Rev or the F7 would have been better choices. I would have picked the F7 because it is completely new except the skiis. The Rev used a existing 600 and 800 motor. The firecats 500 and 700 engines were completely new designs.
Mainecat

Postby '01 MXZ 800 » October 26th, 2002, 10:34 pm

Yes Ski-Doo used the exhisting 800 from the past 2 years,but the 600 H.O. is new!Plus the R.E.V. could also fit the 500&700 if Doo offered it that way! The F-Cats can only fit the new engines in that chassis,And that's pretty F-ing dumb IMO! To go bigger they have to re-design their motors just to fit! I'm looking forward to a bigger twin hopefully showing up in next years R.E.V.!
'01 MXZ 800

Postby hauler » October 26th, 2002, 11:17 pm

maincat no new tech??? are they not the first perforance 4 banger to hit the market, hole new delta frame, first of its kind with no bulk head, new redesigned a arm suspensioun, new body style and seat design. Just because yamaha had a proven high HP 4banger already, did you want the design a new one??? I'm not the saying rx1 is best snowmobile out there, but for the condition it was built for, I think it will be great trail and lake machine that is great on fuel, dependable. no more inj oil and meets emmissions that will be upon us before long. Yamaha just proved that a high performance 4 strock is posssible. You think when Cat brings one out next year that suzuki will design a new motor or put in a proven gsxr motor??? Every one complains about weight, its comparible with any big mussle sled out there. When I take off for seven day trip to put on 2000 miles I'm not worrying what I put in my saddle bags for fear of adding weight. Te f7 and rev I'm sure will be great sleds for racing and ditch bagging, they are light,quick and have there purpose. IT would be nice if I had the $$$ to have two new sleds, one of them would be blast to rip around locally They too will be snowmobile of the year in some other mag that either brand drops lots of coin in advertisement. You guys that keep trashing all brands are the joke, without all four big manufactures, snowmobiling wouldn't be where it is today and where its going to be in 10 years from now. And to answer the original post yes the RX1 should be snowmowbile of the year.
[b][blue]YAMAHA RX1[/b]
TURNING THE COMPETITION BLUE[/blue]
hauler

Postby Mainecat » October 26th, 2002, 11:21 pm

hauler if the RX is a high performance sled the Yamaha wins on it being first to release it. But if it won SOY because it had a 4 stroke then Cat was first 2 years ago. i agree its not a HIGH performnce 4 stroker. But it was a 4 stroker. The delta box frame is new but had to be to hold the 4 cyl engine. The Firecats are ALL new tech.
Mainecat

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum