Subscribe Today

snowmobile flotation

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

snowmobile flotation

Postby polarisman415 » December 14th, 2001, 6:32 am

Sure give them to the S&R teams as long as the $$$ doesnt come out of my pocket. I dont tink I should have to pay for other peoples stupid mastakes. I still think it might be a little scary if it ever went off while your going down the trail... and you know that's going to happen sooner or later. I quess they can use the $$$ of people falling in to buy these things but i still think that using a live vest would work just fine.
The XCR800 Kicks ass
polarisman415

snowmobile flotation

Postby kenlacy » December 14th, 2001, 6:53 am

Polarisman - if you give it to the government, police, DNR or S&R it will come out of your pocket through taxes - it wouldnt be the worst thing my tax money has been spent on though.

I give them my permission to go over to PETA and take my tax money from them.

*This Message was edited on 14-Dec-01 11:54 AM by kenlacy*
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

snowmobile flotation

Postby jwassoc » December 14th, 2001, 7:49 am

It will cost about $500 US and will be available soon. Here in Minnesota its pretty much impossible to snowmobile without traveling over frozen lakes and rivers so it may have more use in some areas of the country than others. As far as the system becoming mandatory goes, there is already legislation in Dane County, Wisconsin (Madison), population 500,000 that all snowmobiles or ATVs traveling on certain lakes be outfitted with 19 cubic feet of flotation. Riders there attach huge chunks of foam to their machines.
john weinel
jwassoc

snowmobile flotation

Postby jwassoc » December 14th, 2001, 8:31 am

Does anybody think this might work to bring a snowmobile up and to the rear of an avalanche? Some folks out west want us to dump a sled in an arranged avalanche. 51 snowmobile/avalanche deaths from 1994 through 199 in the US alone.
john weinel
jwassoc

snowmobile flotation

Postby polarisman415 » December 14th, 2001, 12:02 pm

LOL what are they going to do type the throttle wide open and send it up the mountain till it starts burning out and boom!!! You got yourself an avalanche. :)
The XCR800 Kicks ass
polarisman415

snowmobile flotation

Postby kenlacy » December 14th, 2001, 2:19 pm

Anyone heard Bill engvall - the comedian - he's the one who did the song (actually a comedy act) "Here's your Sign" About testing shark bite suits and other stupid things Bill gives em a "I am stupid sign". Well they need to get a guy on that sled and send him up the hill - then launch off a few of those avalanche explosives and see how the system works - then if he makes it back down safely - they can give him his sign.

I wish I could see a picture of those sleds with the foam on them in Wisconsin - that's gotta be funny.

$500 is less than I was expecting to here. Whether it would work in an avalanche - that would be interesting - but I think it is almost pure luck when anyone survives an avalanche.

They say you should swim with your arms and it will help - well how the hell do they know that. I mean, it would be a natural thing to try to swim out - that is why survivors always say they were swimming and they survived - how do you know that all the ones that died weren't trying to swim too. Just something that has always made me laugh (not funny that people die in them, but that there are so-called experts on how to survive an avalanche - they just got lucky - in my opinion.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

snowmobile flotation

Postby jwassoc » December 15th, 2001, 12:53 am

KL is right, not many are going to survive an avalanche, but this might help searchers find the sled and rider faster. Also, you can see the foam and barrels they use in Dane County, Wisconsin on the Sheriff's Dept website at www.danesheriff.com
john weinel
jwassoc

snowmobile flotation

Postby BLADEGUY » December 15th, 2001, 2:19 am

You guys are talking about thin ice. You never know when there is going to be a weak spot, even on good ice. There is always a danger of the ice breaking. Sometimes I think of wearing a floatation device. Up north, lakes are the way to go.
I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.
BLADEGUY

snowmobile flotation

Postby Burky » December 15th, 2001, 11:50 am

The only problem I can see with any foolproof system is that just when you get it perfected, along comes a better grade of fool. Probably a good system for places where lakes are a common part of the trail, but that makes it kind of a limited market for it.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

snowmobile flotation

Postby Sledge » December 15th, 2001, 12:55 pm

*This Message was edited on 15-Dec-01 05:59 PM by Sledge*
Sledge

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum