Subscribe Today

Warm-Up Time

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Warm-Up Time

Postby Maniac » December 29th, 2001, 10:06 am

Generally, how long do you guys let your sleds warm up on the first start of the day?
I keep fouling plugs.
What's the bare minimum for a liquid? I just don't want to cold seize it or warp the jugs.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Warm-Up Time

Postby INDY500XCSP » December 29th, 2001, 10:20 am

i started it up let it set for bout 10 secs.. then put a jack up in the back andrev it up alittle bit allow the track to spin...get all the ice out from underneath..check the brake at this time to(well i do)...i got a big yard so i made a little track on...i go around that couple times periodically gassingit...i flipp the choke on a few different times...then i hit the trail..my last set off plugs i just changed lasted me 1450 miles....that's pretty good i think
-------------
'99 Polaris INDY500XCSP bunch of red stuff<- For sale
03 Pro-XR w/600, SLP Can, C&A Trail skis, 96 Megabites,Powermadd/Rox handguards, AMSOIL,V-Force 3, PERC
INDY500XCSP

Warm-Up Time

Postby 2k2mxz6 » December 29th, 2001, 9:02 pm

Pull it outside put it up on a stand start it and run it let the track spin about 500-1000 more than engaugement speed for couple of minutes and then gradually blip the throttle few times,this should have taken about 5 minutes and put probably 1 mile on you're sled.
2k2mxz6

Warm-Up Time

Postby Maniac » December 30th, 2001, 1:22 am

Whaaaaaaat??? Are you guys nuts or something????
5 minutes warm up time is insane!!!! I thought one and a half was too long....why do you let them warm up for so long?
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Warm-Up Time

Postby juniorXC700 » December 30th, 2001, 10:42 am

I usually let mine warm up for about 3 minutes. After i start it i let the choke on half way for about 10 seconds or so. Then after a minute and a half or so i prop the back end up and rev it several times, each time revving a little higher than the previous. I get good spark plug life and never cold blew an engine.
juniorXC700

Warm-Up Time

Postby FueliesRock » December 30th, 2001, 4:32 pm

What I like to do is start me sled, then put on my helmet and gloves and put it on the stand, or usually I put it on the stand when I park it, but anyhow, I rev it up a little to spin the track to clean it out. Then ride about a half mile thaking it easy, not reving it up past half throttle then I like to check the hose comming out of the motor just to make sure that the thermostat is open, and if that hose it warm then you are ready to rip.
FueliesRock

Warm-Up Time

Postby zr800newyork » December 31st, 2001, 12:56 am

I may not go so far as to say "are you guys nuts?" but riding since 1971 I have cold seized one time,,about three years ago I jumped on the 700 it was in mid 30's (warm) and I was in a hurry to make the snow festival parade..put in to 3/4 throttle and got a half mile- stuck big time.. I continue to do like others start the sled, put on helmet. gloves, brush off some snow, checks tail light, hook up face sheild, blip the throttle a couple time and ease onto the trail slow and easy for mile or so varying speeds never a problem..TS
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

Warm-Up Time

Postby 89Indy500_sp » December 31st, 2001, 3:09 pm

i start mine up, wait about 50 sec. drive it out of the shed. get my helmet, gloves, and other crap on, come out side dive slowly to the lake and then take it easy for about 3-5 min.
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum