Subscribe Today

I got very lucky!! Learn from my mistake.

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby ZRT800 » February 4th, 2002, 9:49 am

I'm lucky to be alive! Being alive, I'm lucky not to be paralyzed! I was riding Saturday on Georgian Bay. The ice was minimum 8" thick. Did a small loop through the islands during the day. Everything was safe. Around 7pm (5 hours later) we went out to do the same loop on the lake. I was leading. Following what I thought (and may have been) my track from earlier, I hit a pressure crack. Luckily everyone behind me was able to avoid it! This was in an area where pressure cracks aren't common. I've been riding up there for 25 years. When I ride at night I only go where I've been during the day. My friends say the sled flew 80 - 100 feet through the air. I didn't go that far. I fell from 5 - 10 feet down, flat on my back & slid about 50 feet across the lake. I jumped up & ran around to make sure everyone else was fine. Injuries didn't set in until the adrenaline wore off, almost an hour later. My tail bone, back, & neck, hurt, I have a pain in my chest, my right leg is severely strained. I will heal. I got lucky!! The sled looks like it's a write off. It landed vertical on the tail. Tunnel is mashed & buckled, skid is twisted. It's at the dealer now, & in the hands of the insurance company.

When I went through this area earlier that day, it was safe & smooth. 5 hours later, it wasn't safe. I went back the following day to look at the crash site, & the pressure crack was gone! I couldn't believe it! I drove back & forth in a grid pattern, it wasn't there!

Moral of the story; no matter how well you know your lake & how well you can read the ice, take extreme caution when riding at night or in reduced visibility! This story usually ends with someone being killed or having a broken back. I got really lucky! Please learn from my mistake!
Who said Cats can't swim?!?
ZRT800

Postby ajr175 » February 4th, 2002, 11:07 am

1 question for you. You said you got lucky? What does luck have to do with you being stupid? You said your sled flew 80 to 100 feet in the air, right, and you were riding at night, right, well what in the heck were you riding at a speed that allowed your sled to fly that far in the air for at night? People like you give snowmobile riders a bad name. Save the racing for the track and not the lake or trail. Hopefully you weren't drinking.
Expect victory and you get victory.
ajr175

Postby ZR800XC » February 4th, 2002, 11:14 am

Is it possible you hit a huge chunk of ice an ice fisherman had left ontop of the ice instead of shoving it underneath??? This happens up here ALOT, WAY TOO MUCH... Too often they are buried in snowdrifts and are out of sight until it is too late...Most people that don't icefish are unaware that fisherman do this and it is dangerous. Whatever you hit I think it was very resoponsible to remind others of the dangers of riding on ice, not necessarily out of stupidity like that other JackAss said...

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby ajr175 » February 4th, 2002, 11:27 am

I'm not a jackass like you pal. Did you read the post. It says at the bottom: ride with extreme caution at night! Well if the sled went 80-100 feet, that tells me that not much caution was used!
Expect victory and you get victory.
ajr175

Postby polarisman415 » February 4th, 2002, 11:43 am

Im sure he didnt mean 100feet, he was prob. making the story sound more interesting. Its kind of unfair that you would call him a jackass
The XCR800 Kicks ass
polarisman415

Postby ZRT800 » February 4th, 2002, 12:13 pm

Alcohol was NOT a factor. It's pretty scary when I think that I can crash like this being 100% sober, what would have happened if I had been drinking? As for the ice fishing theory, no. This was a pressure crack, but not a long one. Looked like it was in a circle. As if there was a shoal a foot under the water & the ice had rose up on top of it. But that wouldn't explain why it disappeared. I had three people with me so I know my story is accurate.
As far as the speed I was travelling at, 60 - 70 mph. Yes, the sled flew 80 - 100 feet through the air, again I was told this by my friends.
This is why I posted this message. I've been riding in this area for 25 years. I know the ice. I rode through this area 5 hours earlier, it was safe. Unknown to me, conditions changed & I was riding too fast. That's why I say "learn from my mistake"! 25 years of experience, ZERO alcohol, recent knowledge of ice conditions, riding fast, = terrible accident. I'm lucky.
Who said Cats can't swim?!?
ZRT800

Postby Yobaca » February 4th, 2002, 1:43 pm

I'm glad nobody was hurt. Sounds like you had some tough luck. Uuuummmmm.......What year is your sled? and do you want to sell any of the parts that are left over?
Chris Pearson
Yobaca

Postby kenlacy » February 4th, 2002, 2:00 pm

arj - I think his point was that you can never be too cautious and he was admitting to his mistake. To berate him for admitting to a mistake is ridiculous. He could have just as well said nothing and been better off for it thanks to people like you. Just think before you type.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby ChrisXCR » February 4th, 2002, 3:02 pm

Hey ZRT800, glad you are OK!

I hit a curbstone in an area I ride alot (I knew it was there I just forgot about it) last year that sent me flying oneway and my endoing sled the other, so I know what your going through. It was a good reality check for me and if you ride sleds enough something like that will happen. Thats why I always wear my Tek-Vest. When I crashed, I was tossed up 7-10ft and landed on my back, and all I got was a bruise on my butt. I cracked ribs skiing with much less of a hit than that.

For the $ I cannot recommend the Tek-Vest or something else like it enough. It was a little uncomfortable the first time I rode with it but now I'm uncomfortable without it. Just something you might want to think about.
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Postby zr800newyork » February 4th, 2002, 3:05 pm

kenlacy remarks are right on- understanding may be needed before criticism...It does take a good person to own up to mistakes/poor judgement/ errors. Good for you ZRT, appreciate your feedback
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum