Subscribe Today

Arctic Cat's Diamond Drive (Not a Trash)

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby treewakr » August 14th, 2003, 5:21 pm

Now I have to admit, their new Diamond Drive on the ZR900 is a great idea. I was wondering how long it would take for one of the makers to come up with it. A buddy and I have talked about this same design a few times and wondered how it would work. Eliminating the chaincase is a great idea for several reasons. Fewer break downs, fewer moving parts, weight savings too. I also like the idea of going to a 10" driven pulley versus 12". The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have as low an initial drive ratio. I'm condsidering putting it on my new sled. What are your opinions on this drive set up?[img]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/69519/0.jpg[/img]
treewakr

Postby Big Native » August 14th, 2003, 5:43 pm

I like the idea. But Cat did not come up with it- they bought(?) the patent from Black Diamond. If it works for such a high HP sled like the ZR862, more power to them, and I hope the others follow suit. Sure it's not a real direct dricte drive system, but it is still better then a chain drive.
Campair old gear driven transfer cases off of old jeeps to modern chain driven ones, and ask a serious off roader what they would prefer.
Then down side is that the transfer case is a secondary transmission, and not the primary on a car. Will a gear driven tansmission hold up to the stress's of running off the crank? Sure the belt will take lots of the stress, but the gears will be under a tremendous amount of stress.
I really hope it holds up, it will only better the industry. But if Cat makes it like there clutches a few years ago, the cost of rebuilding it every 1500 miles will take away any benift it provides.
Big Native

Postby treewakr » August 14th, 2003, 6:35 pm

Big Native
Do you know what the casing is constructed of? I hope the planetary gears hold up. I see you can change the gear ratio in the planetary arrangement to achieve lower ratios. It looks like it might be quite a job to replace the drivers too. The brake rotor will be turning twice the speed of a conventional, I see they beefed up the brakes with a double piston setup. Hope they hold up. Did they liquid cool them?
treewakr

Postby NorthernSkunk » August 14th, 2003, 8:36 pm

A doo guy and a yamaha guy discussin CATS........sweet.
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby Mainecat » August 15th, 2003, 12:39 am

Wacker the gearing is gonna be a little pricey until there are more aftermarket companies making them. I really think reverse could be adapted fairley easy to this unit. Maybe a servo? We will see if it is successful on the 900. If it works out you will probably see it on all Cats in 05.
Mainecat

Postby zrcat » August 15th, 2003, 1:14 am

Actually, it is better than direct drive in the sense that you can still select your gear ratios. Direct drive would need an assortment of clutch diameters, which would be an expensive proposition.

Yes CAT bought the patent. Is that bad? Other manu's do the exact same. Cheaper to buy than develope sometimes. Ecpecially if it's for sale kiddies.

CAT's clutch problems from the ZR700 era are more than gone. Cat has the best secondary arrangement out there. Thats why you see alot of them on the race circuit in all venues. Thats why Yamaha has the same design.

I'm going to say that CAT, like any other manu would, exception polaris, have done thier homework. The fact, it's debut on the 900 instead of an entry level sled, says they have done the neccessary engineering.
zrcat

Postby funkadelic101 » August 15th, 2003, 4:35 am

Hah ah aha... Tree, check out RMI, he is the one who built this system years ago, and sells it as a kit, and used it on his RMI sleds... Anyhow, you can buy this kit to install on your sled, it costs $2,500.00.... And changing final gear ratios can be done inside the unit, however, it is expensive and takes more time to do than a conventional case.... ZRCAT says that you can change gearing by getting a bigger secondary clutch... how does that affect the final 2:1 ratio that fully shifted clutches achieve?? Wouldn't you now need to find a longer belt if you have a larger outside diameter on your secondary?? A bigger clutch gives you a wider range of ratio to use effictively, but it does nothing to change final gear ratio.... The brake thing is pretty much an all things equal deal, there's a give an take between the two methods, but physics dictates that either way is effective for braking. Radical Machines, if you want a number to call... let me know. OBTW, check out the Thunderstruck crew, it is to my understanding that these guys have the RMI unit on their mod sleds..... Jim Phelan and them.
Liberty without Virtue is Slavery to Vice
funkadelic101

Postby zrcat » August 15th, 2003, 5:49 am

corn-holy-o, that is what I'm saying. To get diff ratios, the cost would be prohibitive.
I didn't feel as though I need to break it down for you. Or do you like to take the "unsaid" obvious and try use it against me to help you achieve an "all knowing auora".

Where did I say you "could" change the secondary.
zrcat

Postby treewakr » August 15th, 2003, 6:34 am

ZRCat
I agree the Cat secondary is the best. I have used them exclusivley on every sled I built. I have modified them with the roller kits, but I really don't think I gained much backshift if any. The worst I have seen is Polaris, why do they stick with that stupid design. They're too hard to tune, you need a Snap On roll away to change the pretension.
Funkadelic
Yes, if you use a bigger Driven you nee a longer belt....Or adjustment to move engine forward. It's easy to get a longer belt usually if you know how to read the belt #'s. I won't pay $2500.00 for it, just buy a wrecked ZR900. One went through the auction last year pretty cheap.
treewakr

Postby catnfool » August 17th, 2003, 5:14 am

I like that brake hooked to the drivers!! but on the downside, we won't get the neat crash pics when the chain breaks waaaaay up on the hill:)
catnfool

Next

Return to Trash Talkers