Subscribe Today

Snotech Article On The RX1

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby M10rules » October 2nd, 2003, 4:24 pm

We had quite a few that told us not to do the oil pump update on their sled. So Cat gave them $100 and free oil for nothing.

Lets not forget how Yamaha does recalls......find every way around them and never admit they have a problem!
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Postby treewakr » October 2nd, 2003, 4:50 pm

That's a lie. They took care of the minor problems they had. They were so minor I rode mine all season, just took it in a week ago for my updates, they paid 100% for it too.
treewakr

Postby MM700 » October 2nd, 2003, 9:05 pm

Oh please...CAt always has recalls....I remember one of the worst...1992 model year....Jags and EXT's had faulty oil pumps...Cats were puking all over the northwoods....why because a couple of Cat dealers didn't get their notices out to their customers(Illinois..a big dealer..not to name names)...so people came up north ...took the sleds out and promptly blew them up....which CAT did not cover...because they had sent a memo to their dealers to recall the sleds and replace the pumps....if you went out and rode it and blew it up it was your fault, wether your dealer sent you a memo or not.....so don't give me this crap about CAt...another one that rings the bell was a mid 90s ZR ( I can't remember if it was a 580 or a 600) that had a recall, my buddy blew his up three times on three different trips...sold it and got out of snowmobiling for good because of it...yes Cat covered him everytime...but evertime he was stuck at the bar...NOT RIDING..it pissed him off so bad he won't buy a sled to this day...can't blame the poor guy....but then again....he shouldn't have bought a CAt for his first sled.
MM700

Postby BigDXLT » October 2nd, 2003, 11:14 pm

HAving TRoubles WIth THe SHift KEy THere TOnight MM? ;)
BigDXLT

Postby Judah Ben-Hur » October 3rd, 2003, 2:16 am

I have know idea on who smokes what at the factories. I do know your blowing smoke on your sled because you mentioned before that it was missing a piece when you got it. I could care less what the price was because it is the thought that counts. lol I find it funny about all these perfect sleds on the net but you find out that they had problems or made some trips to the dealers for 13 recall bulletins. How far is it to Shangri-la and is the riding that good?
Judah Ben-Hur

Postby Judah Ben-Hur » October 3rd, 2003, 2:26 am

[quote]Judah, True his ECU has not been working completely right since he had it reprogramed. But there was nothing wrong with it before, he CHOOSE to have it done and Cat did it for free. They have also switched it back since to the original setting. Most of the time top was 85 AFTER it was reprogrammed the first time. It would have occasional runs where it did go above 100. We had 3 ECUS reprogramed at our shop, none of them had that problem. Robs problem was very rare. All the updates were prevenative. Alot of sleds never came back till after the season was up and then had updates done.[/quote]

I guess my two $50,000 questions are, Why would he/or anybody change something that didn't have a problem to begin with? You mention all the updates were preventative, my question is preventative of what - with a perfectly good working ecu to begin with? The questions go hand in hand but your answer or mainekats could swing them apart. I have to know these type of things before I put my money down on one.

I might add that this is too a sled that hasn't had any problems at all. Zilch.
Judah Ben-Hur

Postby M10rules » October 3rd, 2003, 2:13 pm

#1--Some F7s were having engine problems, one believed cause of this was faulty ECU programing. Rob decided he would have his reprogramed to be safe i guess. In the process of reprogramming Cat was making them richer to be safe. The engine problem was later learned to be bad oil pumps from Supplier (same supplier the others use)

#2--Recalls--2003-1-19 and 2003-1-20 were the recoil rope fix. It was found that the recoil rope was rubbing on the brake caliper. Metal bar and new recoil rope was the fix, 15-30 minute job max to fix. Seen over 2000 miles on F5s and F7s without this fix and they were fine.

Tach/Suspension Update-The tach part was found because of occasional improper readings on a few Firecats. The fix was just to flip the coil over and reroute the wires. The suspension upgrade was just longer bolts in front mounting holes. The orginal bolts only had 2 threads past the nut, the new ones had 6-7 threads.

Smart Valve update-never heard why this was a recall, never heard of any problems.

Oil Pump update-This goes back to the motor problems. It was later found that some models had bad oil pumps. There was no pattern so Cat put out the buletin to cover all models till they can get enough oil pumps to do complete recall. As i said in earlier post, this is was not done by all. Anyone who made it past their first tank of gas didn't need to do this update. It was precautionary to keep sleds going till they got new oil pumps.

Sound update- there was no problem with the Firecat to warrant this update. It was just to meet EPA regulations. No performance lost or gain, just makes it quieter.

All these updates have been done to the 04s. I have seen several sleds that had over 2000 miles on them with no updates and no problem.
M10rules

Postby MM700 » October 3rd, 2003, 2:35 pm

M-10...we all know you bleed green...please sell your Polaris and get a GREEN one....you know you want one....you can't stop talking about them...besides...you are probably the only dork riding a POlaris wearing Cat gear....:o
MM700

Postby NorthernSkunk » October 3rd, 2003, 4:01 pm

Are you guys comparing old cats to new yamahas again?

An wackr...I am readin of mountain riders complainin about the ice an snow build up in the rear suspensions. I bet its from those holes they have up in the tunnel..an the heat from the pipes comin through those holes is what is causin the ice build up to be noticable to some riders. I said that was gonna happen remember. But yours never had any build up of ice an snow right?
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby M10rules » October 3rd, 2003, 4:46 pm

LOL mm, next may be Cat. It will be whatever sled best suits my needs at that time. So far looking at an F7 EXT.
M10rules

PreviousNext

Return to Trash Talkers