Subscribe Today

so you think your new sled is high tech?

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby willpower » October 6th, 2003, 5:38 pm

The phrase"HIGH TECH" is slapped on so much today its become a joke. Sled mfg's. & owners talk about how high tech their new sleds are, but the truth is, some components are actually VERY OLD. For example, the current drive system used in your big $$ sled is the same stuff used on OLD FARM EQUIPMENT. Yes, the bearings, jackshaft & axle setup goes at least as far back as the 60's (far as I can remember)Even the CVT clutch setup was derived from OLD self propelled FARM EQIPMENT.
Its good to FINALLY see a NEW drive system with the brake on the axle, where it belongs & NO CHAIN, JACKSHAFT & TIN bearing retainers. As far as the steering goes, its about the same garbage as on my old go-cart. At least the location has been moved OVER the engine where it belongs, but hime joints, bushings, rods & so called "RACK SYSTEMS" are SLOP waiting to happen. Nothing wrong with OLD & SIMPLE improved on ideas (like CVT clutches) as long as they work, but these two areas need to be fixed. With major advances in engine, clutching & suspension, isn't it time for a machine with REAL STEERING & DRIVELINE COMPONENTS?
willpower

Postby zert » October 6th, 2003, 5:43 pm

Well then get to it! LOL
zert

Postby Long time cat man » October 7th, 2003, 3:06 am

If you want "60's" and "70's" technology sled, go buy one! I rode those early "70's" sleds and you can have em! Every new sled I buy, is nicer than the last one. I'am not saying there's no room for improvement, but the 4 major manufacturers have come a long way. HO(high output) and others are just selling tools.
Long time cat man

Postby Blue leader (temp) » October 7th, 2003, 5:30 am

The word "technology" is very mis-used when it comes to sleds. Things like putting a 4 stroke in a sled, long travel suspension, narrower track new and improved seat covers are not new tech! things like smart carbs, batteryless efi, detonation sensors, new frame designs and manufacturing process are things that you could call new tech IMO.
[img]http://www.freepichosting.com/Images/103503/0.jpg[/img][img]http://www.freepichosting.com/Images/103503/1.jpg[/img]
Nice hooters :B
Blue leader (temp)

Postby NorthernSkunk » October 7th, 2003, 6:42 am

If you want to se new tech gettin tested...go to a race:)
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Return to Trash Talkers