Subscribe Today

1981 ski-doo citation ss throttle adjustment ??

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby tundra tim » July 6th, 2005, 8:40 am

just found this site,, and am a newbie ,does anyone know where i can find help adjusting my twin carbs ,had broken throttle cable so i replaced it with new one. now sled wont idle to well, it will fire on the first pull, start right up, just when you go to hit the gas it dies.. out of adjustment,. also may need new track ,it was a one owner sled an older man used it to go ice fishing ,didnt jump it ,hit anything ,looks like bran new, no rips in seat, and completely nice. i did some work for it about two days of painting a house.. ive had sleds before ,had a boa ski 440 ,and a polaris colt, also had an old starcraft i put a 640 hirth engine on ,wow it went ,this skidoo is just what i need to see the winter world ,and maybe join a club if i can find one that dont stop at every bar they come to,,,. id like to change the thinking of some land owners around me that snow mobilers are just a bunch of summer drunks on sleds i for one dont drink but cant i still have fun ?
tundra tim

Postby redneckdan » July 6th, 2005, 9:16 am

according to my manual that sled has twin VM 34s. The idle speed is controlled by the knurled screw closer to the intake. Screwing it out lowers the idle RPM. First check to make sure the slides are syncronized and that there is enough slack in the throttle cable to allow the slides to fully close. How are you applying the throttle? Are you snapping it open or slowly opening it? Try both methods and report your findings. Usually when I get a sled from someone, I completely tear down and clean the carbs and rebuilded the fuel pump. Winderosa rebuild kits run about 5 bucks and genuine mikuni kits run about 12 bucks. I've used both and the winderosa kit seems to work just fine; STAY AWAY FROM THEIR ENGIE GASKETS!
How much longer till it snows?
redneckdan

Postby cory49 » July 6th, 2005, 2:47 pm

[quote=redneckdan]according to my manual that sled has twin VM 34s. The idle speed is controlled by the knurled screw closer to the intake. Screwing it out lowers the idle RPM. First check to make sure the slides are syncronized and that there is enough slack in the throttle cable to allow the slides to fully close. How are you applying the throttle? Are you snapping it open or slowly opening it? Try both methods and report your findings. Usually when I get a sled from someone, I completely tear down and clean the carbs and rebuilded the fuel pump. Winderosa rebuild kits run about 5 bucks and genuine mikuni kits run about 12 bucks. I've used both and the winderosa kit seems to work just fine; STAY AWAY FROM THEIR ENGIE GASKETS![/quote]

You got a manual? Any chance you could scan me one?? :) What kind of manual is it for? Which model?

Thanks

Cory
[b]Sledless[/b]
cory49

Postby tundra tim » July 6th, 2005, 2:49 pm

that is just about what i was looking for here on this site and by the way i did buy the carb oem mikuni vm34s kit ,i know of a guy that has worked and sold new sleds for the last fifty years his boys race all over the states and canada, he offered to fix me right up , i was afraid of the price tag ,as he is truely a professional sled mechanic, what a show room he has ! not all new but some really old skidoos and some twin tracks that have been modified lnto sno cats for racing unbelieveable the stuff and work he does ,i live less than a mile from ny route 7 one of the main corridors north and south thru the whole state ,and since i cant ride fourwheeler on the trails i broke down and bought a sled ,even though some years you can only ride about a month il be fishing with mine towing my shanty and such ,but willing to join the right club and ride in new places learn the trail system and aint it all about fun?
tundra tim

Postby sleddyeddy » July 7th, 2005, 9:39 pm

sledding is very very fun indeed
Good Luck
sleddyeddy

Postby RotaxPower » July 10th, 2005, 5:20 pm

[quote=redneckdan] STAY AWAY FROM THEIR ENGIE GASKETS![/quote]

Whats wrong with winderosas engine gaskets? Ive used their complete oil seal engine gasket kit everything on most of my common sleds when i rebuilin the past few d the engine and ive never had a problem and ive done probably 40 sleds in the past 2 or 3 years no problems at all.
RotaxPower

Return to Vintage Sleds Board