Subscribe Today

Another problem...

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Another problem...

Postby cory49 » January 31st, 2006, 8:02 am

Okay I got the spark back in my Citation now. It started, and idled fine for 10 seconds then lost it's power and would back fire when the throttle was applied. I can start it up again, but there was no power at all when the throttle was opened, all it would do is backfire constantly and eventually die. There's no power to even spin the track either. The plugs are black and oily also. So far it has:

new plugs (BR9ES)
new gas (50:1)
new plug wires
new plug caps
new gas lines
new fuel pump (I even tried 3 other pumps)
cleaned out carb (I even tried another carb)

I pretty sure I went over everything too. My Dad suspected the timing as his sled had similar problems like this back in the '80's.

Any suggestions to get this going?

Thanks,

Cory
[b]Sledless[/b]
cory49

Another problem...

Postby redneckdan » January 31st, 2006, 10:21 am

black plugs make me think its running rich, main cause it wouldn't idle right if timing was off.
How much longer till it snows?
redneckdan

Another problem...

Postby outagas » January 31st, 2006, 10:29 am

why would the timming be off? did you take the plate off and not mark it, or was it loose at sometime?
sounds like carburation to me?
outagas

Another problem...

Postby outagas » January 31st, 2006, 10:32 am

you say the plugs are black and oily right, well how did they get this way? how long did it run before they looked black and oily, and what did it run like? and you did start out with brand new plugs right?

The thing I`m not understanding, is you say it only ran for about 10 seconds, well i dont see how plugs would get black that quick? so thats why I`m wondering about wether or not you started out with brand new plugs?
outagas

Another problem...

Postby cory49 » January 31st, 2006, 11:09 am

They are new plugs. They get all wet after running for a short period of time. The engine would start, and I would feather with the throttle to get power, but would eventually die. I would restart several times until I remove them with two other new plugs. I tried even putting the plugs to the propane torch to make em a tan color. I would start the sled, and it would run fine, then it would begin to run on one cylinder, then back to both, back and forth like this, until I hit the gas and it backfires and dies.

Also, I tried two different carbs, both very clean. It just doesn't make sense on why the sled wouldn't run on two different carbs? Same results with the carbs...

Thanks for the input so far, and more ideas or suggestions??

Cory
[b]Sledless[/b]
cory49

Another problem...

Postby outagas » January 31st, 2006, 11:24 am

do you have any kind of air filter on the carb?
could the case`s be floaded out with fuel? does that motor have drains?

I`m not sure what you mean by "I tried even putting the plugs to the propane torch to make them tan in color"

when your carb is set right, the plugs will turn tan in color just by running the machine.

anyway, it sounds like its real floaded to me, have you pulled the plugs out, and cranked the******out of it with the gas shut off, to clear out the motor some?
how clean is the gas tank, could it have moisture in it? have you taken if off, and completly rinsed it out, to be sure thier aint no water setting in the botom?
you could drain some gas out into a clear jar, them let it set for a couple hours, and see if any water is in it, if it does have some water in it, it will separate from the gas, and settle on the bottom of the clear jar.
outagas

Another problem...

Postby outagas » January 31st, 2006, 11:31 am

one other thing, do you have clear fuel lines on it? if so, how about the line that runs to the cases and operates the fuel pump? if that one is clear too, does it have any evidence of fuel getting into that line?
outagas

Another problem...

Postby cory49 » January 31st, 2006, 11:36 am

Yes I have the airbox on there.

Yes I did remove the plugs and crank the hell out of it.

Tank was removed in summer, and was throughly cleaned out. Since then, there musta of been a few tanks of gas in there. Theres also a new fuel filter on there too.

Im gonna drain the tank and check for water...

Cory
[b]Sledless[/b]
cory49

Another problem...

Postby redneckdan » January 31st, 2006, 12:05 pm

i start with new gas and check to make sure there is no gas in the crank.
How much longer till it snows?
redneckdan

Another problem...

Postby Centricity » January 31st, 2006, 12:24 pm

does the motor/crankcase have drain plugs?
Centricity.
Sledless...
Centricity

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board