Subscribe Today

Polaris EFI Problems HELP ME

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby indy 500 EFI » March 10th, 2002, 12:33 am

I have a 1994 polaris EFI. 1800 miles and very well taken care of. My EFI does not seem to work properly. The sled seems to bog down and fouls out plugs quit often. It also sucks alot of gas. Is there anything I can do besides take it to the dealer. They want $85.00 just to look at it
indy 500 EFI

Postby PolarisIndy » March 11th, 2002, 10:34 am

Get a good service manual. Could be the Oxygen sensor. If it goes bad it wouldn't tell the computer the correct info on air density and temp. so the computer would probably default to a rich condition to save the engive from burndown. With the correct manual, and an OHM Meter you could test the sensor for the correct amount of resistance and replace if needed. The manual will tell you what it should read and how to test it.

But that is just where I would start. But I'm no sled mechanic, and I haven't messed with an EFI sled since about '94 or so, whenever the last EFI Indy 500 was made...
PolarisIndy

Postby Mainecat » March 11th, 2002, 1:29 pm

Make really shure the battery is new or charged good. The battery EFI's go wacky if the battery is weak.
Mainecat

Postby iamhere » March 12th, 2002, 2:03 am

battery connections are critical, especially grounds.
make positive that all are spotless and tight.
battery must be 100%.
have the tps checked. it could be sending erratic readings to the ecu or could be adjusted wrong (probably is if it has never ben checked).
dirty injectors are a possibility. a quickie trick is to pinch the return line comming from the fuel pressure regulator (mounted on the fuel rail) for a few seconds. this builds up pressure in the system and can blast dirt out of the injector needles (possibly).
spark plugs and caps must be resisor type. also, the caps can not have too much resistance (5k ohms).
ecu and/or chip inside could be at fault.
only test is to swap them for a known good one.
the '94 sleds were poor performers anyway, lack of top end compared to '93 models. polaris remapped the fuel curve for poor quality fuel
(made it too rich!).
good luck!
iamhere

Postby Rogue Wolf » March 12th, 2002, 6:02 am

I had a 92 Indy 500 EFI. It didnt want to start at times because the battery was weak. Other times it would start, I would ride it for half an hour or more, then the battery light would start flashing and it would bog. Most of the time it would start to bog I would be getting close to a hill I had to climb .....my luck was frustrating. I agree that either the sensors might not be up to par. In my experience though the battery was crucial. Its possible that on my sled the system that charges the battery was not 100% and so it would weaken after riding for awhile.
John P Baart
Rogue Wolf

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum