Subscribe Today

Attn: New York Snowmobilers

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby zr500 » May 17th, 2002, 7:42 am

If you haven't already heard, with the passing of the New York State budget, your registration fee will be increasing from $15 to $25. Before you start to complain about it, this money will go to the snowmobile trail fund,doubling the amount available.
zr500

Postby kenlacy » May 17th, 2002, 8:04 am

can you say gullible - yeah until the realize they need money for something else that is more important (like one of the save the environment a sled puts off more emissions that the airline industry special interest groups)and suddenly your extra money is being used against you.

Isn't nice to know that your fed tax money goes to all these goofball groups who have nothing better to do than ruin your priveleges (sp?)

*This Message was edited on 17-May-02 01:05 PM by kenlacy*
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby zr500 » May 17th, 2002, 12:23 pm

Sorry Ken, maybe I'm a little more optimistic than you. I would like to think that for a change government did work, and that the voice of the snowmobiler was heard. You see, this legislation was lobbied for quite extensively by the NYSSA, and by clubs and their members(and I'm sure probably by economic and tourism groups). It wasn't NY gov't thinking of another way to tax us(they already do that in enough different ways.) I could be wrong, but I also believe that it took several years for this increase to finally pass. I am confident that the checks and balances will work, and that the money will go where it is intended. If not, then NY Senators and Assemblyman have duped 150,000 NY snowmobilers out of another 10 bucks. Could I be wrong..sure..nothing in life is certain except death and those taxes.I don't mind paying the extra,same for my hunting and fishing licenses,those are going up too. (I know PETA wants to stop that too)..like the saying goes..the squeaky wheel gets the grease..this time it worked..who knows, maybe the next time sledders want something ..we won't get it...but if you don't speak up,you can't be heard.
zr500

Postby zr800newyork » May 19th, 2002, 1:49 am

It's about time !! I'll pay to play and hope it comes from Albany to here. We've got good people staying on top of the situation and I trust they'll know where the bucks are going. We found out before. Some clubs have the same problem don't want to raise dues- afraid folks won't pay. I always thought those that don't join won't regardless of the amount.
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

Postby kittykiller » May 19th, 2002, 8:54 am

I think it's a good idea. Alot of people out there bustin' their asses to keep the trails groomed, the least we can do is help out with the expenses.
What's yellow snow taste like ???
kittykiller

Postby kenlacy » May 19th, 2002, 2:35 pm

ZR500 - I am slways skeptical when it comes to politics. We have a main trail up here called the Paul Bunyan Trail - For the longest time it was mainly used by snowmobilers in the winter and bicyclers in the summer and all the businesses along the trail grew from the sledders and pretty much rely on winter for a big part of their annual earnings. Well, because their is a lot of tourism, our area decided it would pave the trail with the sledding money. No big deal. Until the rollerbladers and people with nothing better to do with their time started complaining about the the trail getting torn up by studs. So they banned studs from the trail and you can not use the main thoroughway in our area if you have studs - some parts have a separate trail on the side - which is usually torn up - for studded sleds - but not all of it.

Funny thing is - the rollerbladers don't exactly spend a lot of $ along the trail.

I don't run a studded track - but quite a few people I ride with do - it is a huge inconvenience sometimes to have to go way out of your way to get where you want to go.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby zr500 » May 20th, 2002, 10:22 am

Ken, I can understand and agree with you on your situation.Maybe I should have explained my reason for posting this topic a little more clearly.In a month or two, New Yorkers are going to get their registration renewals in the mail. I can foresee a great number of them going "WTF,my registration went up $10.", followed by expletives directed at the Governor and Albany. My point is that the increased fee is going back to clubs with the primary emphasis on trail maintenance and improvements. It is not supposed to go elsewhere.But with that said, I might assume that if you are reading a snowmobile forum in mid-May, then you are probably on top of what has been going on in this situation. I would guess there is probably a clinical term for it, I call snowmobiling my passion, my wife calls me nuts. I can give you an example of maybe how many people might not be aware of what's going on in NY. At my work there are 8 of us that ride,5 of us are in the same club. Just a quick poll of 4(3 of them club members)that I saw today , none of them knew about the attempt to get the fee increased,or that it has passed. I guess that would be a whole other topic though..apathy about our sport.
zr500

Postby Trail Cat » May 20th, 2002, 10:55 pm

It may be a lot easier to swallow if there were 5-6 boxes on there that you could check as to what club or what set of trails your money is going towards
Trail Cat

Postby Drifthopper » May 21st, 2002, 1:25 am

The way it works with our NYS reg. is its $15, $5 goes to cover admin. costs, $10 goes to the trail fund. Now with it going to $25, $5 should still go to cover costs/paper work and $20 to go into the trail fund.
But the sad fact is that this increase is only a band aid on the trail fund issue.
Its just not enough. This increase will quite the clubs and people that are complaining that there is not enough money, but it will only quite them for a few years. 3-4 years down the road, they will be b!tching again.
I don't know a real lot about it, but some people in the state that can look at the money situation realistically, want the state to setup a similar trail fund such as Ontario or Vermont, a pay to play program, but NYS is to politically run.
So this increase will piss some people off and please some people,...... for now at least.
Support your local club!
www.drifthoppers.com
Drifthopper

Postby Mainecat » May 21st, 2002, 1:44 am

I am not shure if NYSSA has considered the gas tax issue. The MSA (Maine Snowmobile Association) has just won about 1.1 million dollars in the settlement on gas tax.
At issue is that all non-road use vehicles use gas that has a road use tax included in the price. The problem was these tax dollars were going to the state to use for road improvements and not trail use. The MSA has battled the state for years and finally won back the dollars every year. I am not familiar with what NYSSA does about this tax issue?
Read about it here:
http://www.mesnow.com/IssuesInTheSport.html#Gas

*This Message was edited on 21-May-02 06:51 AM by Mainecat*
Mainecat

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum