Subscribe Today

A hard starter......

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

A hard starter......

Postby catdaddy » September 15th, 2002, 7:47 am

A buddy of mine has a hard time starting his 97'Polaris XLT. The upper end is good(good compression)and he had the lower end completely rebuilt last year.When its warm,it fires up on the first pull.The carbs. were cleaned and rebuilt at the time of the engine work.I'm sure I read somewhere about a year ago that Polaris had received complaints about similar problems that I believe resulted in a recommendation of main jet leaning.Any suggestions or experiences of the same would be greatly appreciated.The sled has a little over 3900 miles on it.
catdaddy

A hard starter......

Postby vinn » September 15th, 2002, 8:03 am

If it starts on the first pull when its warm. I would double-check the choke and cables. Make sure the choke is all the way closed when the choke is fully pulled. Even a small gap will make it hard to start in cool weather.

Check the gas lines. Make sure all the retaining clips are in place and there are no air leaks in the gas lines.
[url]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/polarx2000/vwp?.dir=/&.src=ph&.dnm=Oct25_01.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/polarx2000/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=ph%26.view=t[/url]
vinn

A hard starter......

Postby treewhacker » September 15th, 2002, 1:04 pm

Cat
If it starts good warm but not cold, that would indicate lean pilot jet. What do the plugs look like? Do you have to choke it hard to start? Could also be a leaky seal. When it's running, spray some starter fluid in on the seals and see if it revs up.

*This Message was edited on 15-Sep-02 06:06 PM by treewhacker*
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1278/a1ugly.jpg[/img]
treewhacker

A hard starter......

Postby hauler » September 15th, 2002, 1:28 pm

I would check the needle and seat, had the same problem on an xcr 600 I was working and that was the problem. Good luck!
[b][blue]YAMAHA RX1[/b]
TURNING THE COMPETITION BLUE[/blue]
hauler

A hard starter......

Postby hauler » September 15th, 2002, 1:28 pm

I would check the needle and seat, had the same problem on an xcr 600 I was working and that was the problem. Good luck!
[b][blue]YAMAHA RX1[/b]
hauler

A hard starter......

Postby hauler » September 15th, 2002, 1:29 pm

oops.........
[b][blue]YAMAHA RX1[/b]
hauler

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum