Subscribe Today

clutching

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

clutching

Postby noah » October 28th, 2002, 2:33 pm

ok i know nothing about clutching and would love to know everything i can about it.Hell i barely know what it is!
thanx
noah

clutching

Postby RV340 » October 29th, 2002, 7:14 am

I used to be the same way. I learned alot by tearing into my buddies sled when He worked on it. Then when I had some confidence I took a shot at my own equipment. Once you get the hang of it it's alot of fun playing around with different set-ups.

Working through it with someone who's done it before is a great way to learn. Have fun!
RV340

clutching

Postby RATMOTOR » October 29th, 2002, 7:31 am

For starters, keep them clean, make sure all moving parts move freely, and replace all broken or hopelessly stuck moving parts and springs. As long as the clutches are operating as designed, then your good. Later, as you learn the parts and buy a puller and maybe a press, you can get into more precision tuning. Todays High Performance 2 strokes are strong. The clutch is where you can adjust your compromises.
Oil would be cheaper if the greenies stopped using it.
RATMOTOR

clutching

Postby bookum » October 29th, 2002, 12:18 pm

contact Aaen Performance. Buy his book on clutching.
bookum

clutching

Postby noah » October 29th, 2002, 12:56 pm

can i just bring it to a shop and they'll give it an all around tune up? What would that cost?
thanx
noah

clutching

Postby RV340 » October 30th, 2002, 12:00 pm

I just did that this past spring. I removed the clutch and brought it to the dealer because I don't have all the tools needed for removing the spider etc. He checked all of the rollers, bushings, etc.

He replaced some bushings, put in new shims, and put in a new spring. That cost me $71.00 Hope this helps.
RV340

clutching

Postby cementhead » October 30th, 2002, 12:44 pm

Once you figured out how to get the clutch off of the machine, the other stuff is easy, it just takes time to learn. But don't be afraid to try, there really isn't much to wreck, unless you end up losing parts or forgetting to line everything back up. But you will be able to get the best set up for you if you do it yourself.

Cementhead
Shut up and Race!!!
cementhead

clutching

Postby yamaha1man » October 30th, 2002, 5:50 pm

Take BOOKUM'S advice or else Bender has a real good book on clutch tuning that's easy enough for a novice to grasp. I think the book is around 25.00
yamaha1man

clutching

Postby ttrein » October 31st, 2002, 7:37 am

I have an idea for all you guys that DO know what you are doing with clutches. Chances are you guys adjust throughout the season. Buy a digital video camera, and document the steps for tuning. I can guarantee you can sell those tapes and make back the money you spent on the camera...and then some. If I find a video out there that explains all of this on clutching I would buy it in a heart-beat!!

TT
ttrein

clutching

Postby kenlacy » October 31st, 2002, 8:09 am

EPI has 2 videos - a basic and an advanced tuning for clutches. They are for Polaris only.

[url]http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EPI&Category_Code=video[/url]
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum