Subscribe Today

1995- 583 with rave

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

1995- 583 with rave

Postby bobobob » January 19th, 2003, 1:21 am

I seem to have a fuel problem at high rpms the sled dies or cuts out -at low speed you can ride forever. also a funny tick-tick type sound has developed at idle (from the motor) would this be an exaust problem?
bobobob

1995- 583 with rave

Postby RRJFAIR » January 20th, 2003, 10:49 am

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR RUNNING OUT OF FUEL IN CARBS,CHECK FLOATS,SOME GUYS SET THEM SO THEY WONT FLOOD AND THAT CAN HAPPEN.ALSO COULD BE BAD PUMP.TICKING MIGHT JUST BE CLUTCH.
RRJFAIR

1995- 583 with rave

Postby JDSpencer » January 22nd, 2003, 3:28 am

I started having the same problem with my 98 Formula Z 670 over the weekend. My first thoughts are: clogged fuel filter?, plugged fuel tank vent? pinched fuel line?

I have put about 200 miles on before the problem started, so I wouldn't believe it to be float level related, also my sled completely dies, both cylinders quit firing, so I doubt it is carb related, likely something with getting fuel to the carbs as I noted above.

I have started to look at the problem, but have never worked on sleds before, only knowledge is from other motorized toys. Does anyone know where the fuel filter is? I traced the fuel line out of the tank to a small aluminum manifold mounted under the carbs where two fule lines exit, 1 for each carb, Does this house the fuel filter too?

Also I followed a small line that appears to be the vent line down in the foot well area on the left side, then lost site of it, looks like it vents under the sled, may be blocked with snow & ice?

Just a few ideas. Let me know what you find. I will do the same.

Thanks for the help.
JDSpencer

1995- 583 with rave

Postby bobobob » January 24th, 2003, 9:15 am

Thanks, I removed the carbs and checked the floats and the the jets floats were fine and the bowls were clean but the jets were a little dirty I cleaned them out the problem seems to have gone away

Denis
bobobob

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum