Subscribe Today

92 EXT 550 bogs down and dies

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby warrior_tim » February 24th, 2003, 1:14 am

I have a 92 EXT 500 l/c. It was running fine and then one day it started to bod down when I punched the throttle. I checked the plugs but they seemed fine (a little old though). The funny thing was if I advanced slowly throughout the RPM's I could get up to top speed. Now it only starts on full choke, and will run for about 1 minute then die. Took apart carbs and everyhting appeared fine. Any hints?
warrior_tim

Postby Long time cat man » February 24th, 2003, 1:18 pm

If you are sure that carbs are clean and no plugging in idle or primary jets, I would say that you have a fuel delivery problem. Check filters, pinched gas lines, or fuel pump.
Long time cat man

Postby warrior_tim » February 25th, 2003, 1:55 am

I have replaced the fuel filter and plugs. I put de-icer in the tank. I also rebuilt the fuel pump, but may have used the wrong kit, will that matter? Now the carbs aren't getting any gas because the lines are not drawing the gas.
warrior_tim

Postby warrior_tim » March 5th, 2003, 1:40 am

I am now getting fuel to both carbs, and getting spark. However the left cylinder will not work, but the right one will work fine. Took the cylinder apart and the rings, o-rings, and wall all looked good. 110 psi. Am i adjusting the carbs wrong? Any hints.
warrior_tim

Postby sledwrench » March 5th, 2003, 10:52 am

New plugs? 110 PSI ? Its getting down there.
sledwrench

Postby catdaddy » March 9th, 2003, 3:23 am

No spark on the left cylinder,but you have it the right? Pull the throttle switch from the left carb(black wires running from carb to harness)and jump the harness side of the circuit with a piece of solid core wire,if you now have spark, your switch is out of adjustment. Ask your dealer or check a manual for carb adjustment specs. They can be a little sensitive to dial in.
catdaddy

Postby warrior_tim » April 8th, 2003, 12:34 am

New developments on this topic. I have spark in left and right cylinders, fuel at the left and right carbs, and I have eliminated the carbs as the problem by switching them around and the right still works but not the left. I also have 110 psi in the left and 120 psi in the right. Took top end apart, no stuck rings or marked walls. Good gaskets, o-rings etc. I am thinking about taking the crankcase apart and changing the crank seals. Any thoughts on this? If the crankseals are bad will the right run fine and the left not?
warrior_tim

Postby sledwrench » April 8th, 2003, 1:13 pm

You can check the pto crank seal with ether. Spray a little on it at idle. If the rpm's change, its the seal.
sledwrench

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum