Subscribe Today

My "new" 69 skidoo olympic

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby black_hull_coastie » May 1st, 2003, 5:43 am

I just recently got the oportunity to get a sled for free. Its a 69 skidoo olympic. i know its older, but i figure what better way to get into riding than for free right? anyone have any advice for me as to what i should look for/ expect as well as any good sites specializing in this particular sled???? Thanks!
mark
black_hull_coastie

Postby sledwrench » May 1st, 2003, 2:28 pm

Are you looking to restore it or just have some fun? They pull hard, ride bad, and can be a lot of cheap fun. If its your first venture into snowmobiling, don't do much to it. You'll probably want to step up very soon.
sledwrench

Postby sled_king » May 2nd, 2003, 3:05 am

i would look at restoring that sled instead of riding it on a regular basis. like sledwrench says, you will want to get a newer one the first day you go for a ride with some buds on newer sleds.
sled_king

Postby topjimmi » May 2nd, 2003, 3:41 pm

H ell, if its free ride it ! but you wont go fast and you wont go to far, untill either your spine or teeth rattle loose, or you have to walk all the way home. dont get me wrong its a great machine to bomb around on but you will have a blast on that ole thing
fly you might. crash you will
Hey Is That a GT-500 in Your Van?
Why Yes It Is.
topjimmi

Postby black_hull_coastie » May 3rd, 2003, 1:17 am

Im hoping the track is in good shape, as long as i can get a few rides out of it and figure out if i like riding or not it will be worth it. then i will look into buying a decent used sled most likely. Im on my way out the door in a little bit to go pick it up. wish me luck =)
black_hull_coastie

Postby sledwrench » May 3rd, 2003, 2:26 pm

Please don't base your decision on wether to snowmobile or not on the superior ride, handling and speed of a '69 oly. There are MANY steps in between. What kind of riding do you want to do or is available to you. Don't get me wrong, the oly may become an 'ol reliable for riding. But at least rent a quality newer model machine. Two up, sport, race or mountain, find which you like.
sledwrench

Return to Vintage Sleds Board