Subscribe Today

Recommended Digital Cameras?

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby zert » September 24th, 2003, 5:53 am

Hey guys/gals, I'm in the market for a new digital camera. I am not up to date on what is out there, but I want one that is capable of loading pics onto a computer and also capable of producing normal, old fashioned pictures. Thanks for any ideas.
zert

Postby deadsled » September 24th, 2003, 6:01 am

zert, I want the same thing, but it can't be done.

you can get a printer that does a reasonable job of printing the digital pictures so they look like the ones from a 35mm, but they don't last as long. Where a film picture might last 10 years + without fading too much, a printed digital is much less. (At least it was last time I researched the subject. If technology has changed much over the last couple of months, someone on here is sure to correct me.)

Other option is use a film camera and pay Kodak to turn the pictures digital.

Neither is a great option. You either have to choose digital or film, or carry one of each, and take two pictures of everything. :)
I am currently riding a yamaha 4S. Who would have guessed?
deadsled

Postby Mainecat » September 24th, 2003, 6:04 am

Buy a inexpensive one if your going to take it with you on your rides. The HP I have fits in my inside chest pocket. Its small. It was under 180.00 a year ago. They are all good zert.:B
Mainecat

Postby gg aka giftgirl :) » September 24th, 2003, 6:10 am

Zert,

Check out the Kodaks....they seem to be the best and are not that expensive...you will be really satisfied with one of theirs....also,
I have an HP photo printer (the small one)....works awesome,beautiful old fashioned pics AND you can take it with you on trips, just plug the memory card into it...and VOILA!.....instant printed pics!
[b][blue]giftgirl :W [/blue][/b]
gg aka giftgirl :)

Postby Mainecat » September 24th, 2003, 6:15 am

You can e-mail any digital picture you take to any film company on line and have them put it on print film. Whats nice about that is you usually only have a few that you want to have done. They mail it back to you.......NICE.
Mainecat

Postby Mainecat » September 24th, 2003, 6:17 am

GG what kind of trips are those? lol Instant pictures!! Yeah baby:)
Mainecat

Postby zert » September 24th, 2003, 6:24 am

I have a lot to learn, I've never posted pics on here before but would like to do it.
zert

Postby Sticky~Mn » September 24th, 2003, 7:31 am

I love mine (minolta 4.o mega pixles)!
Its small, fits into my pocket (in a soft protective case), and at the end of the day (if I have the laptop with me) or at the end of the trip, I download the pictures onto the laptop, and burn them onto a disk. I can send them via email quickly and can print out any I want for the wall of fame and shame!If I want any of them printed up, I just make a list of which ones I want, and take the disk to the camera shop, and they print them up for me...viola...old fashioned pictures!

You need to keep the camera warm tho, or they loose battery power quickly and also can work slowly...so keep next to your body or put one of those little warmer deals in the case with it.

buy as many pixels as you can afford and ask ALOT of questions of the workers there. I recommend going someplace like National Camera Exchange...they REALLY know what they are talking about there...compared to Best Buy, etc (just my experience:)
Sticky~Mn

Postby snirt » September 24th, 2003, 7:37 am

if you want to research any digital camera, go to www.steves-digicams.com.

there is a ton of info there.

the guy that sits next to me at work takes a cd to costco and has some pictures printed on film. he says they're $.19 each, and look like a 35mm picture. as has been mentioned above, you won't want to have all of them printed, just a select few. and while the printed photo's might not last, you can burn a backup onto a cd, and it will last forever.

i like my hp 812, but it's slow to take the pic after you push the button. all digitals are, but mine seems to be worse than average.

good luck zert.
snirt

Postby Mainecat » September 24th, 2003, 7:53 am

Another thing to consider-
Buy a digital camera that uses AA or AAA batteries. They are cheap to buy in bulk. If you need those special sized camera batteries they can cost 8 bucks a piece!
Mainecat

Next

Return to Trash Talkers