Subscribe Today

2002 ZR/CC Suspension Failure and Excessive Wear

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Wacky174 » October 7th, 2003, 8:59 am

Hi guy's, I'm new to this board but wanted to post an issue I have with both of my 2002 ZR's. The problem is that on my ZR 600 and 800 x-countries the bottom shock hole where the adjustable "main" shock assembly mounts onto the skid frame is worn (elongated) beyond limits. The wimpy round rubber bushing is gone on both machines. In addition to this the bolts on the sides of the skid frames are loose and have become elongated as well. Each sled has about 1200 miles on them. I'm being told by a cat dealer that it's a big problem on this model. Has anyone else had this problem. I have the skid frames out and did order two new bottom shock caps. I plan on maching out the caps and placing a bronze bushing in them. I just wanted to hear if anyone else has experienced this problem and what you may have done to repair them.

Wacky
Wacky174

Postby SLEDHEADRED » October 7th, 2003, 9:38 am

post this on trasher sied, lots of ZR8's over there.

carl
JOIN A CLUB
[url=http://WWW.DRIFTSKIPPERS.COM]The Driftskippers[/url]
SLEDHEADRED

Postby Shockman » October 7th, 2003, 9:47 am

Yea I worked on an 02 ZR 6 CC last year, it had the same problem with the bushing on the front arm shock.This one only had 800 miles and the bushing was destroyed.My solution was to fabricate a new delrin bushing but I have no faith that it lasted. I'll have that sled back in the shop soon, and see what can be done to correct the situation.
Shockman

Postby ac07 » October 8th, 2003, 9:32 am

I had the same problem last season, it took me better than three months to get my end cap. I ended up getting a regular center shock to get me through the rest of the season. I'm looking into a brass or other nylon type bushing, a tech at work thinks he can machine me one.
ac07

Postby Wacky174 » October 12th, 2003, 12:59 am

AC07, I just spent $36.00 at the Cat dealer and bought a complete '01 center shock brace and bar for my '02. Ground a touch of the outer idler wheel mount to clear the extra bolt. Fits like brand new. This did the trick and is now supported in four locations verses two with a bushing set up. I can e-mail you pictures if interested. The Cat man said this was his fix for '02 models. We are not sure why Cat changed this design other than to beef up the bar for the CC package which ultimetly was a bad idea....

Wacky
Wacky174

Postby ac07 » October 12th, 2003, 1:58 am

Wacky, the smaller cross shafts were prone to bending thats why cat went to the larger diameter shaft. I used a 01 set up while my dial adjust shock was down and I didn't have any problems with it at all. Hope it works out for you I may go that way also.
ac07

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum