Subscribe Today

Bad Trip

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Bad Trip

Postby indy8six » October 31st, 2003, 4:05 pm

OK, I'm sure everyone has had that trip from hell. Here is mine in short.
In about 1989 or so my buddy and me loaded up our sleds to head out on our annual Christmas trip to northern WI. It was 4 in the morning and temps were about 20 below zero.
When we arrived at our destination the snow cover was, shall we say, slim. Well we called around and found decent snow about 2 hours away. We unloaded our gear and trailered the sleds to a nearby hotel parking lot, which was the only place to access the trail from the city.
We unloaded our sleds and fired them up. My buddies sled would not move even after thoughrough warmup, so we decided to load up and wait till the next day(it was still 20 below at this time). I loaded mine up and proceeded to try to get his sled going(his idea to let me do it). The sled would bog and then all of a sudden she ripped to life, throttle stuck wide open, throwing me off the back.
The sled crossed the lot, ramped up a 10 foot pile of plowed snow,landed on the other side, and screamed through another parking lot into the side of an insurance building. The sled was mangled and my buddy was in shock. After getting all the paperwork done we loaded up the sleds, headed to the bar, and then went back to the hotel.
The trip home the next day was quiet.
That was his last snowmobile trip.
Ride hard or ride alone
indy8six

Bad Trip

Postby schleprock700 » October 31st, 2003, 4:13 pm

maybe you should have bought a yamaha
schleprock700

Bad Trip

Postby indy8six » October 31st, 2003, 4:16 pm

The sled that would'nt run and hit the wall was a Yamaha. Ha Ha
Ride hard or ride alone
indy8six

Bad Trip

Postby Loudhandle » October 31st, 2003, 4:51 pm

buy a rupp
Keepin the flipper wicked since 1978
Loudhandle

Bad Trip

Postby 800HO » October 31st, 2003, 5:17 pm

similar thing happened to my buddy last winter, we were on a trip and his girlfriend was riding her sled when she all the sudden stopped on the trail. She said the the throttle stuck open so she shut it down, him being a guy and not one to listen to a woman started the sled and it took off into the bush and smoked a tree. I think he uses the tether cord now. It was just one of those days when the snow dust hangs in the air and the carbs got iced up.
ICE, SNOW OR GRASS
I'LL KICK YOUR ASS

[blue]SKI-DOO[/blue]

RIDE THE BEST,
FORGET THE REST

[blue]WHEN THE FLAG DROPS
THE BULL$HIT STOPS[/blue]
800HO

Bad Trip

Postby catdaddy » November 2nd, 2003, 3:16 am

I know it wasn't funny at the time, but reading posts like that always crack me up! Thats hilarious, I had that whole picture in my mind as I read through it! Well, at least it was an insurance building it ran into. :o So your buddy doesn't ride anymore because of it or just with you? Anyone every seen the clip on "Americas Funniest Home Videos" where this dude takes a rented Polaris water skipping across a small open pond and right into the middle of a huge pine tree? The look on his face was worth a million bucks! I'm L.M.A.O.R.O.T.F. as I type this! Just in a good mood today folks.....
catdaddy

Bad Trip

Postby indy8six » November 2nd, 2003, 4:22 am

No, my bud had no problem with me...his wife on the other hand......you get the picture. LOL
Ride hard or ride alone
indy8six

Bad Trip

Postby catdaddy » November 2nd, 2003, 6:01 am

Oh yeah, I understand! Do you have any of the pictures you could post of the damage?
catdaddy

Bad Trip

Postby indy8six » November 2nd, 2003, 6:37 am

I'll have to see if he has any pics..I don't
Ride hard or ride alone
indy8six

Bad Trip

Postby RIGGS1 » November 2nd, 2003, 9:24 am

Indy, you must tell me where? :)
[img]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_cond/language/www/US/WI/Mercer.gif[/img]
RIGGS1

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum