Subscribe Today

81 Pantera 500 help!!

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

81 Pantera 500 help!!

Postby DeathRUSH_Pantera » November 28th, 2003, 7:45 pm

okay a lot of people have veiwed my post, but no-one seems to be able to come up with any response.

Hey all, I'm new to this forum, but it seems I have come to a place where a few people still know old sleds. I recently purchased a 81 pantera 500. I havnet ridden since the 80's, I used to have a trailfire 440, i think an 80, or 81. I remember it was quite fast, and I seem to remember that pantera 500 used to be a hot sled too. The one I bought is in nearly mint condition. I am currently over here in the middle east for Operation Iraqi freedom. And bought the sled on ebay a few weeks ago. I was wondering if any of you would be able to tell me top speed, or any other stats on it, power, quickness, faults etc. I was also wondering if there is a site that I can find aftermarket parts for it, to increase the above mentioned stuff, or perhaps newer engines that can bolt into this one. I rode a buddy of mines 650 something arctic cat last winter. I only felt comfortable getting it up around 85, or 90. And I have no doubt that sled could do well over a hundred. It seems I am not as brave as I remember my 80's teenage self. So what I am looking for is power, quickness, and a top speed around 80 or so. The sled may not do it, but thats fine, it is in excellent shape. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll be getting back to the states here in a week or so, and can't wait to get out on the ice for some fishing, and sledding. Of course I'll have to hit some steelies with the fly rod too, but after 8 months in this desert, I'd be happy with bluegill. Thanks a lot fellas.
81 Pantera 500
ThePresenceOfDeath is Among YOU!!!!!
DeathRUSH_Pantera

81 Pantera 500 help!!

Postby mighty mouse » December 3rd, 2003, 7:15 am

I have the exact same snowmobile you have and they will go pretty close to a hundred on the hard trail! I think mine has roughly 65 horse stock with decent low end climbing ability. The only thing that can be a pain in the arse about them is they had hand and thumb warmers and the warming units like to burn out so if you need these things you might have to replace them! Other then that I have known a couple to own the the same sled and never have problems! As long as you take care of it, it will take care of you!
[i]michael peterson[/i]
mighty mouse

81 Pantera 500 help!!

Postby Pantera440 » December 5th, 2003, 6:02 am

You can get aftermarket parts a these sites
www.denniskirk.com
www.mfgsupply.com
centralsnowmobile.com

Thye got some pretty god stuff on those sites
Pantera440

Return to Vintage Sleds Board