Subscribe Today

returning to the sport

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

returning to the sport

Postby freshtrack » December 27th, 2003, 7:04 am

I'm an old sledder and have been away from the sport for 20 years or so. Former sleds were RUPP, SnoJet, Ski-Doo and John Deere. I would like to get back into the sport. I see liquid cool is now available which sounds good. I would liek max hp and reliability. Let's start with two machines, trailer, no clothes necessary. Any suggestions? Cost is not an issue.
`64 freshtrack
freshtrack

returning to the sport

Postby Bug Eyed » December 27th, 2003, 7:47 am

No clothes necessary? Sweet! It's too cold here for that, we get jizcicles on our tallywacker (sorry, couldn't resist, had to throw that in there!)

If you want something that can go all day long and keep your body comfortable for an extended period of time, I like the Yamaha RX-1 or RX Warrior, these are four strokes, near $10k, and if I could I would...

Yamaha just seems to be very reliable, they tend to hold back on the fance stuff in order to make sure whatever they are realeasing has the bugs worked out.

Other than that (I want a nice trail rider that well stay comfortable, handles well, and has some kahunas too) if you aren't going to be doing the long day trail rides you might want to sugest what type of riding you will be doing (speed runs, catchin air, bumber sleds [HA! just kiddin]) that way someone can make a better recomendation for your needs.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
1979 [green]Arctic Cat[/green] Jag
1981 [purple]Ski Doo[/purple] Citation
1989 [red]Yamaha[/red] Phazer
2000 [blue]Polaris[/blue] XC 700 SP
[COLOR=#ff9900]2[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff6600]0[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff3300]0[COLOR=#ff0000]2[/COLOR][/COLOR] Ski Doo [COLOR=#ff0000]MX[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff3300]Z X[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff6600]7[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff9900]00[/COLOR]
:E
Bug Eyed

returning to the sport

Postby freshtrack » December 27th, 2003, 8:06 am

bug:

Thanks for the advise. While I'm used to riding logging roads/trails (hi speed) I think my wife would prefer the seneic trails, therfore I don't care about the senic stuff I want speed and fun...(is that a typical male response?). All kiddng aside this will be a family purchase and a well handling, comfortable and yet powerfull machine is of interest. I am also interested in doing the maintence myself, therefore a vendor that is willing to share maintanence manuals etc. will be helpful. I am thinking about Cat, Polaris or S-Doo. What do you think?
`64 freshtrack
freshtrack

returning to the sport

Postby SUPERDUTY-MXZ8 » December 27th, 2003, 8:12 am

Doo or a POL [url=http://www.ski-doo.com]http://www.ski-doo.com[/url]
[url=http://www.polarisindustries.com]http://www.polarisindustries.com[/url]
SUPERDUTY-MXZ8

returning to the sport

Postby XCSPchick » December 27th, 2003, 8:16 am

Hey freshtrack, maybe for your wife you should get her the Polaris Classic or another kind of touring sled. The Classic is a great sled. If you are just looking at those three brands I would stick with a Polaris or a Doo.
God must love stupid people; He made so many.
XCSPchick

returning to the sport

Postby Pol-Cat » December 27th, 2003, 8:35 am

I'd would ride the Skidoo REV chassis, it rides excellent in the trails, can take it thru the ruff stuff just as fast as a firecat, about the same speed as a cat in a drag race, more reliable then a cat, skidoo isn't quite as good as cat in fixing their problems(skidoo doesn't get near as much practice as cat though fixing problems), the only thing concerning the rev is that I'm 6'4'' 230lb. and it seemed pretty small and uncomfortable for long rides but next year I'm going to break down and buy one anyways.
My vision is better then my hearing...shut up and show me something.
Pol-Cat

returning to the sport

Postby Burky » December 27th, 2003, 9:14 am

If I were coming back in and making a purchase, I don't think I would go into new sleds. There are too many great 2-4 year old sleds out there going for a song that have low miles on them due to several marginal winters in a row. If dependability is an issue, then the Yamaha triples are a strong choice, run forever, get good mileage, and are available at very reasonable prices. Downside is that they are a little bit heavier than other twins, and the rear suspension is not cutting edge for someone who rides really hard. Polaris makes a couple of models with M-10 suspensions under them that are top of the line, and Momma will probably find the M-10 a very nice uspension to have under her. Check out their 600's, they are a very sweet motor. Doo's in the pre-Rev chassis have lost a lot of price, and are a good bargain on the market. Again, they make a nice 600 that will go anywhere you want to go. Arctic Cats of the past few years are nice, the ZR chassis handles well and is well proven. Lots of your choice will depend on your dealers and what sources of parts you have available. The greatest sled is the world is useless if you don't have a good dealer standing by to support you. One of the nice things about buying a sled a couple of seasons old (in addition to the lower cost) is that what goodies to make it faster or ride better are well known and available. With a new model sled, there isn't much available for a while, and it isn't really proven what works versius what's hyped.
As for a trailer, in the Midwest the best choice is to find a tilt or drive on/off with a cap, usually 8.5x10' with a single axle. Aluminum is lightest, with a single axle and preferably 20.5x10' tires under it. The cover costs more to put on afterwards, so look for a covered trailer from the start. Open bed trailers run around 900-1200, covered run 1800-2200, and if you want a full enclosed trailer they start in the 4000 dollar range. Lots of that depends on what you want to pull it with and if you want to store the sleds in there during summer. Hope this helps some, it's my .02.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

returning to the sport

Postby SUPERDUTY-MXZ8 » December 27th, 2003, 9:33 am

[quote]I'd would ride the Skidoo REV chassis, it rides excellent in the trails, can take it thru the ruff stuff just as fast as a firecat, about the same speed as a cat in a drag race, more reliable then a cat, skidoo isn't quite as good as cat in fixing their problems(skidoo doesn't get near as much practice as cat though fixing problems), the only thing concerning the rev is that I'm 6'4'' 230lb. and it seemed pretty small and uncomfortable for long rides but next year I'm going to break down and buy one anyways.[/quote]

:E I can't believe what I just read! Finally and HONEST CAT GUY!
SUPERDUTY-MXZ8

returning to the sport

Postby Pol-Cat » December 27th, 2003, 4:00 pm

SDMXZ8: Only calling it the way I see it
My vision is better then my hearing...shut up and show me something.
Pol-Cat

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum