Subscribe Today

F7 oil consumption question

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby luvthemud » January 23rd, 2004, 5:48 pm

finally got some snow so i got to ride. after about 140 miles i went through about 1 gallon of oil! i called the dealer yesterday and he leaned it out for me, said that EVERY F7 they sold has been back to the dealer to change the oil pump setting. he siad that cat recommends running them super rich so they don't burn up but after 100 miles it is ok to adjust. i have heard that other dealers are setting them up leaner from the get go. what is the normal amount of oil i should be using, it is an 04. my 02 zl 600 didn't even use 1 gallon in over 500 miles, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 gallon. at 36.50 a gallon it is getting expensive.
2004 Red Team Arctic F7
luvthemud

Postby mainefirecat » January 24th, 2004, 12:28 am

just like to commenton ur poast i have a 2003 f-7 and my dealer mixed the oil into the gas tant alond with the oil tant so it had a 100 mile or so break in period and i never had a prolem did ur dealer do that to urs if not he should have and u would not have used as much oil and 300 miles to a tank of oil give or take and fyi the oil tank is smaller on the f-7 too so keep a extra pint of oil in ur saddle bag and when the oil level gets below half ur oil light will flicker but that just a warning light to let u know i havent had any problems with mine so good luck with urs
mainefirecat

Postby Cummins Thunder » January 24th, 2004, 1:38 am

Keep track of the amount of fuel and oil you consume and miles rode then do the math! 50:1 or 60:1 is right about where you want to be (assuming you know math) Now $36 a gallon :E THAT'S $9 a quart :E you must run farty cat oil? Oem oil really sticks it to you huh? But for that price i'm sure you think you're getting "better oil"... NOT!
[img]http://am_ber_lyn.tripod.com/cummins2[/img]
Fear the Diesel!!!
[img]http://am_ber_lyn.tripod.com/cummins_logo.bmp[/img]
Cummins Thunder

Postby luvthemud » January 24th, 2004, 4:20 am

warrenty is only good if i run apv oil
2004 Red Team Arctic F7
luvthemud

Postby luvthemud » January 24th, 2004, 4:22 am

yeah mainecat the first tank was mixed, and i wondered why i fouled out a set of plugs. i am going to take the power valves out and clean them, i have a feeling that with all that oil running through there they might be gummed up.
2004 Red Team Arctic F7
luvthemud

Postby luvthemud » January 24th, 2004, 4:25 am

hey mainefirecat do you know what size the oil tank is, will it fit 1 whole gallon?
2004 Red Team Arctic F7
luvthemud

Postby uscc409 » January 24th, 2004, 5:20 am

oil pump update done to it?
[url=http://indyspecialty.net]Indy Specialty(Forums, snowmobile repair, performance work, and outboard rebuilds)
[/url]
uscc409

Postby Team leader one (Team Blunt) » January 24th, 2004, 11:53 am

100 miles per quart
Team leader one (Team Blunt)

Postby Cummins Thunder » January 24th, 2004, 3:21 pm

[quote]warrenty is only good if i run apv oil[/quote]

That's bull$hit... more like another false reason to deny warranty,lets say clutch breaks....take it into stealer (dealer) they ask "did you run apv oil on it"? you say no not all the time...bam! that's why it broke... :E Now your on your own pal! But if you fight you would win(most don't). I just hate to see people getting ripped by dealers,my favorite is the chaincase lube $8+ for a pint of synthetic gear lube when you can get a quart of say, mobil 1 75w-90 gear lube for $7 same damn thing!
[img]http://am_ber_lyn.tripod.com/cummins2[/img]
Fear the Diesel!!!
[img]http://am_ber_lyn.tripod.com/cummins_logo.bmp[/img]
Cummins Thunder

Postby Michiganstopcat » January 24th, 2004, 6:24 pm

luvthemud who ever told you that you have to run arctic cat apv oil to make your warranty good hasnt a clue!!Im guessing your dealer is telling you this.The only way a manufacturer can tell you that you have to run their oil in order to cover warranty is if they give you the oil for free.These are facts who ever told you different is an idoit and so are you for not looking into it further.
Michiganstopcat

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum