Subscribe Today

How Do You Choose a Brand?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby ixnay » February 12th, 2004, 5:54 am

I live in an area with a huge snowmobiling culture, but I was never really exposed to it growing up. I've ridden maybe three times in my life, but only when I was a kid.

But its hard not to notice the brand loyalty involved in snowmobiling - people seem to be really devoted to their ride of choice. I've seen entire familes of clad in matching Artic Cat or Yamaha outfits - hats, jackets, pants, even the trailer they haul their sleds in. And considering this site has an entire forumn (a popular one at that) devoted just to trash talk about other brands, I think a lot of people take it pretty seriously.

I can see how this is a lot like loyalty to car brands, but people are usually more familiar with cars throughout their lives than they are with snowmobiles - their dad may have drove a Chevy, their first car was a Chevy, so they're into Chevys for life.

Snowmobiling seems to have gotten a lot more popular around here in the past ten years or so, meaning a lot of new people must be getting into it - how does someone new to the sport decide on what brand of sled they're going to get into? Is it advertising, availability, price, graphic design, peer opinoin, or some combination of all of these?

I'm just curious, and any insight would be appreciated.
ixnay

Postby BigJWalt » February 12th, 2004, 6:05 am

You can get some good opinions on here if you stay out of the trasher board. Lots of brand loyal guys on here, but if you PM them, you can usually get an honest opinion. I was in your shoes 6 months ago, and learned a lot on here myself. I am one of the guys who is not brand loyal at all. I bought 2 '00 XC500's in September to see if I liked the sport and wanted to invest major money in new sleds. I am very happy with my sleds and the service I have received. I will be basing my next purchase on the quality of service I receive, not only from Ploaris, but others as well. I am a free agent in this regard. Let your dealer know this, they kiss your a$$ knowing you are looking to drop 20K in a year or 2.
[green]If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting. [b]Dick Vermeil[/b] [/green]
BigJWalt

Postby mnsnowboy » February 12th, 2004, 6:05 am

Well, the same thing that you are saying about the trucks is how I got my way on sleds. My Dad started me out on a Polaris, and since then, I have always had excellent luck with them. I happen to own a Ski-Doo, which is my second choice. We had Ski-Doo's when I was young also, and I like their sleds. I got an excellent deal on this one so I went with it.

-sb
Kick ass!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/rocking.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/hellyeahFireIcon.gif[/IMG][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/bobZilla.gif height=90 width=20[/img]
mnsnowboy

Postby sleddogzrt » February 12th, 2004, 6:35 am

I would suggest getting out and riding the different sleds at the dealers. Kick some tires and see what feels right to you. With the variety of sleds on the market, and each manufacturer covering the different classed, there is a lot to chose from. Hopefully you can get some advise here, but be careful as some have an agenda of trashing at all costs and may lead you away from a sled that would really work for you. As much as we hate to admit it, the brands are all pretty close in the way they perform and function. It all comes down to personal preference. Being new, the dealer may be the biggest factor in your decision, as they will be the ones working on your sled until you figure out what to do. The relationship you have with your dealer is most important if you will be using their service department. Look around, ask questions and take some rides. Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful winter world we call snowmobiling.
sleddogzrt

Postby xcsp » February 12th, 2004, 6:49 am

I agree with sleddogzrt, try and ride the sleds you are interested in, you may find that some that you thought you'd like, you may not really like after riding.

Also, would be nice if the manufacturers would get some type of demo program so a person could test ride some sleds before putting out the $$$$ and finding out it's not what you expected.
xcsp

Postby BigJWalt » February 12th, 2004, 6:58 am

[quote]Also, would be nice if the manufacturers would get some type of demo program so a person could test ride some sleds before putting out the $$$$ and finding out it's not what you expected.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more. Would anyone buy a car without driving it?
[green]If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting. [b]Dick Vermeil[/b] [/green]
BigJWalt

Postby T'NT340rider » February 12th, 2004, 8:48 am

I am not brand loyal either. I am a vintage sledhead, and with over 200 brands of old stuff to choose from, you cant like just one. I grew up with Ski-Doo, Moto-Ski, and Arctic Cat sleds. My first sled was a 68 Ski-Doo Olympique 12/3, then onto a 71 Nordic 399E, then a 75 AC El Tigre 340Z, and a Moto-Ski Nuvik 340, then its everything after that. The way I see it, every make has built some excelent sleds, and they have all built true pieces of******at one time or another, so I just buy what I can afford! The only brand of sled from the "big 4" I dont have yet is a Polaris, but Im looking at a restorable 73 Colt.
Proud member of the Carhartt Clan Vintage Snowmobile Club.

-I am a 315er, and proudly support the other 315ers at www.315er.net fight for Wayne County, Webster Sucks!!
T'NT340rider

Postby Cummins Thunder » February 12th, 2004, 8:51 am

Unless you know people with sleds that are willing to let you try a sled out, I guess you would have to rent one. Which is probably a good idea considering you can get some seat time in.You can try some of what the big 4 have to offer.Then form an educated opinion on what you like.Or just stroll into a dealer and buy what you like and if you don't like it just sell and pick out another! Really they all are good if you take care of of them (Over-maintenance is good)
[img]http://am_ber_lyn.tripod.com/cummins2[/img]
Fear the Diesel!!!
[img]http://am_ber_lyn.tripod.com/cummins_logo.bmp[/img]
Cummins Thunder

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum