Subscribe Today

1998 Arctic Cat ZR 440 sno pro problems

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby rabeb25 » February 22nd, 2004, 1:03 pm

Well thought I would throw this out here and see if you had any insight on this.

Sled comes back from a fresh rebuild, 0 miles on it. I took her out today, put on about 1 mile, things were running good. Idle was good as was throttle response. As I went around the yard again, at less than 5mph the whole time I stopped. It idled down, bogged then died. After trouble shooting I came up with no spark, I tried bypassing the teather and the kill switch but still a no-go. Tried new plugs and tested them on a running sled also, which they worked fine. I think I have narrowed it down to cdi and or coil pack. Any other ideas/work arounds, they want like $600 for the combo, and not even sure if thats it.
thanks
Bryan
rabeb25

Postby snoguy14 » February 22nd, 2004, 1:31 pm

if you have another sled avaiable pull your coil and test it that way.if the coil doesn't work then thers your problem.
I'm not fast, your just slow.
snoguy14

Postby rabeb25 » February 22nd, 2004, 1:35 pm

Are they semi-universal, I have access to a 96 indy 440. Thanks for the help.
Bryan
rabeb25

Postby reelrazor » February 22nd, 2004, 1:45 pm

Take a really good look at the wires involved. Especially under the handlebar cover/steering stem.

Check the charge coil and trigger coil resistance before you sink money in uneeded parts, they usually have a no return policy on electrical parts. Does the headlight flicker when you crank it over? If it doesn't then your charge coil(stator assy.) is the culprit. They fail more often than spark coils.

The service manual is part #2255-728 aand costs $28.00. It will tell you how to test these parts, plus a lot of other good info. It is money well spent seeing as how it costs less than any of the parts you may waste money on.
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Postby rabeb25 » February 22nd, 2004, 1:58 pm

Yup headlight flickers, getting fuel(plugs wet) just no spark. I don't have a volt meter but can get one tom.. I have enough automotive knowledge, so just tell me what to do, I am at your mercy.heh.
I have the Illustrated parts manual, and the performance manual, but it for a 99 and I believe they changed a bit.
Bryan
rabeb25

Postby rabeb25 » February 22nd, 2004, 1:58 pm

I pulled the coil, and not to my surprise it will not work with the polaris..o well was worth the try.
Bryan
rabeb25

Postby reelrazor » February 22nd, 2004, 2:47 pm

Does that parts manual have the wiring digrams? You need to check the resistance through the charge coil, and the trigger coil. I am not sure which wires are which so you need a diagram to let you know. The resistance values would help as well(both will be in the SERVICE manual).

The trigger coil will likely have its' own TWO wire plug coming out from behind the flywheel. The other wire tail/plug will have four or maybe six wires coming from it. Sounds as if the lighting coil is okay, but the charge(ignition powering coils on the stator) may be bad. Basically if any one wire in that plug shows continuity to ground(the engine block) the stator is shot. Used to be you could replace each coil set on the stator individually, but no more

You can check you spark coil and see if it is shorted internally by putting an ohm meter from the primary windings to the secondary windings(small wire to plug wire) and from primary to primary leads. Again, there is a resistance value that you need to know to know for sure.

Gaaaaaack, Arctic is PROUD of their ****. I just checked parts prices, $469 for a cdi, $429 for a stator???!!!

Holy ****.

I have replaced a bunch of polaris and rotax ignition stuff and they run less than half that.
JGW

reelrazor

Postby rabeb25 » February 22nd, 2004, 2:54 pm

Yea it has all the wiring and ohm valus needed, tom. morn I will pick up a multimeter and start checking, I find it really odd though that it would just go bad.. Thanks For the help
Bryan
rabeb25

Postby reelrazor » February 22nd, 2004, 3:08 pm

All it takes is ONE part of the winding wires to break, or for the coating on the wires to cook off and it's all over. The stator coils live in a harsh environment.,When cold they go from whatever air temp to really hot in a short time, and deal with a lot of high frequency vibration from the engine, and also the magnetic drag of the flywheel magnets pushing and pulling on the coil towers continously. It is also not unusual to find that the wires are chafed through right where they make the 90 bend to head out of the case(that seems endemic on some polaris models).
JGW

reelrazor

Postby reelrazor » February 22nd, 2004, 3:08 pm

All it takes is ONE part of the winding wires to break, or for the coating on the wires to cook off and it's all over. The stator coils live in a harsh environment.,When cold they go from whatever air temp to really hot in a short time, and deal with a lot of high frequency vibration from the engine, and also the magnetic drag of the flywheel magnets pushing and pulling on the coil towers continously. It is also not unusual to find that the wires are chafed through right where they make the 90 bend to head out of the case(that seems endemic on some polaris models).
JGW

reelrazor

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum