Subscribe Today

98 Ski-Doo formula Z -ALL 3 CLUTCH CAM ARMS STICKING-HELP!

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

Postby U.P Sledder » December 30th, 2005, 11:28 am

I just bought a 98 ski-doo formula z 583 with 1000 miles on it, and has an ongoing problem with the 3 cam arms in the primary clutch sticking out at high speeds,{around 80 mph} when this happens your done, the sled dies and you walk unless you pop the 3 cam arms back down with a screwdriver and hammer, the previous owner had a kit installed last summer, dogs,spring..etc.. this sled is in mint condition with only 1000 miles{other than the clutch problem} CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ON THIS?? IF SOMEONE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND KNOWS A FIX CONTACT ME AT sdiecast@up.net, thanks jeff
U.P Sledder

Postby snoguy14 » January 12th, 2006, 12:41 pm

If during the tra rebuild ANY lube was used this will cause the cam arms will not operate properly.The lube expands with heat causing the cams to seize.Tear it down and inspect for bad bushings or improper rebuild.A manual is a big help in these situations.Hope this helps.
I'm not fast, your just slow.
snoguy14

Postby northern_sled_freak_69 » January 25th, 2006, 11:16 pm

does it have the tra clutch
go big or go home......missing the snow and side hilling with my truck
northern_sled_freak_69

Postby powder_hound » February 1st, 2006, 1:01 pm

OK you need to clean the tra...you never use anykind of lubricant at all...it just gives dirt & dust something to stick to...you can clean the clutch parts with break clean and emery cloth..

Take the cams out and the bolt that holds them in...take emery cloth and clean the bolt and on the bottom of the cam there is a bushing you can clean it as well...also take the emery cloth and clean the ramps as well.

After you clean it tip it upside down a few times to make sure that it is working good...
powder_hound

Postby that 31 car » February 1st, 2006, 5:34 pm

Was the kit a rebuild from ski doo or aftermarket hi perf deal. Some after market kits exhibit the very problem you talk about. If you keep doing it, you will grenade the clutch, so check it out. go with stock stuff, not the hot rod junk that people claim is the trick set up.
that 31 car

Return to Tech Talk