Subscribe Today

Why don't more sledders ride in March?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Yoo » March 16th, 2006, 8:07 am

After getting over 30 inches of snow earlier this week, our conditions in the Western UP right now are good to excellent. With all this snow, warmer temps, longer days, less traffic, great deals on motel rooms...why is it that few people snowmobile in March. This is when I do most of my riding.

Just curious as to why more people don't head to the Western UP to ride in March...we're grooming the trails (even when we have had little to no traffic)
Yoo

Postby T'NT340rider » March 16th, 2006, 9:07 am

That about convinces me, Im goin there, give me about 2-3 years and I'll be your neighbor! down here in Upstate Ny, we only got about 5 inches.
Proud member of the Carhartt Clan Vintage Snowmobile Club.

-I am a 315er, and proudly support the other 315ers at www.315er.net fight for Wayne County, Webster Sucks!!
T'NT340rider

Postby whitedust » March 16th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Yoo On Wednesday I rode from Phelps,WI to Watersmeet to Kenton to Sidnaw to Iron River and rode Fire Roads back to Phelps,WI in the afternoon. The UP MI groomed trails were awesome the best I have seen all season. I also saw 2 groomers in the middle of the afternoon keeping conditions pristine. Hats off to the UP MI groomers!! The UP Fire Roads had 3-6 feet of snow and were a sea of white powder. That was the best part of the day floating along breaking trail in all that powder. I'm a bit sore today but it was worth it. I'm going to the races in Lake Geneva, WI tomorrow or I would be back in the UP this weekend. Hopefully you will enjoy the trails while I'm gone.
whitedust
whitedust

Postby Jpak 7p » March 17th, 2006, 12:54 am

Cost is one of the reason's. We take 3-5 trips a year depending on conditions and our schedules. A few years back, our last trip was usually the 2nd weekend in March, and I agree, the trails are great in March. But with gas prices, and limited schedules, by the time mid-March rolls around, we are done for the year. Part of it might be the climate down in Indiana, lower Michigan/Wisconsin. Average temperature this time of year is 47 degrees, although we have been hit with a cold spell(20-35 degrees) this past week. Plus, last weekend, we had 50-60 degree weather. I think when you get that first warm up, you feel the season is done and over with. Maybe when our schedules ease up a bit in the next year or two, we will make a trip mid/late March.
Jpak 7p

Postby Elan Rider » March 17th, 2006, 3:11 am

Going tomorrow!
Elan Rider

Postby Yoo » March 17th, 2006, 3:23 am

tntrider...I would love to have you become a neighbor. Not only am I the President of our Snowmobile Club, but on the board of a lot of Tourism and Business groups. I am constantly trying to find a way to convince people to move to the Western UP...would love to have you seriously consider it.

Whitedust...you can't imagine how good it is to hear you compliment the job our Western UP Snowmobile Clubs are doing on grooming the trails. Being so busy with races and organizations I actually have little time to ride myself. Just heard word that I have family coming up this weekend, so I'm FINALLY going to get a chance to actually ride.

Jpak...I hear you. I appreciate you making the time and spending the money you do coming up as much as you do. I don't think those the ride in our area realize how much we appreciate it. We do appreciate your business! One thing to remember next year is that while you may be tuning up the ATV or Motorcycle, the Western UP has good snow and snowmobiling in Mid to late March. Last Monday and Tuesday's Blizzard is NOT unusual...it's very typical. Last year the March Blizzard hit this weekend, year before it was the first weekend. The Western UP always gets hit sometime in March. As Whitedust pointed out, you can either ride the trails or the Forest Roads (oops, sorry MM700).

Elanrider...for the first time since 1981 I'm not going to be heading to Island Park, Idaho in March. We took our Rockies trip in January to Crooked Creek Guest Ranch by Dubois, Wyoming. Usually we head your way for FANTASTIC March riding...then come back to the Western UP and ride for another week or so. Sorry but I don't know where Lewiston is...however I had fun 'ribbing' the college students from Moscow, Idaho this week at the SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge. They brought a DI BRP in place of a 4-stroke...I'm a 4-stroke fan myself. The kids were great. Have fun riding tommorrow, wish I was with ya...

Why don't others ride in March?
Yoo

Postby Big Slick » March 18th, 2006, 1:41 am

I would drive to the U.P. to do some sledding but snowmobiling is like sex...It's alot of fun but if you do it to much it loses some of its appeal. I think I rode to much this year. :R
quote=NorthernSkunk...jus another dumbazz comment that is full of schitt....when the f/k are you gonna grow up....
Big Slick

Postby Elan Rider » March 18th, 2006, 2:41 am

The elevation in this photo is about 3200' and the barrier is a standard concrete... they must be about 3' tall or so, I guess. Lewiston is only 780' elevation but a 20 minute drive can get you to 5000' right away. Others may not know that hells canyon is the deepest ravine on the NA continent, so I'll share that tidbit, LOL.

Anyways, it's 6:40AM and I actually got both of my sleds in the back of the van. The highway department didn't plow out any wide spots in the road so we have to load right out of the van onto a snowbank and hit it.

I'll probably post some pics of us out goofing off when I get back. Our sleds are just old elans and bravos but we do have a lot of fun!

[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/Turnsalot/ead41c78.jpg[/img]
Elan Rider

Postby Bar It! » March 18th, 2006, 1:11 pm

Rode the neighbor's Sea-Doo today.....
Give us this day our daily braaaaaaaap!
Bar It!

Postby damn » March 18th, 2006, 1:53 pm

I would if we had f*ck'n snow :M
Should i Pin it....[b]PIN IT!!!!!! [/b]
damn