Subscribe Today

Questions about sledding in Michigan's UP

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby ZR_Warlock! » November 12th, 2001, 1:16 am

Hey folks,
I finally decided to start snomobiling again since my wife and I have our kids out of diapers. I bought a couple used sleds last Spring(a 95 Cougar and a 01 ZR500) and now we're starting to lay down plans for a few trips to the UP this winter. We're in NW Ohio, and we've only been sledding in MI once (that was in the Gaylord area) and that was 10 years ago. My questions are these:

1) Where in the UP should we stay for a 4 day weekend? (I've heard Newberry is good, and we're looking at the Comfort Inn north of town)

2) I only have a title for my new sled (I bought the 95 from a friend). What do I do to get them registered and such so I can legally ride them in MI, and where can I get the registrations?

3) Trail maps... are they readily available around the towns or motels where we stay?

Thanks for any help...

Matt
'01 Jayco Eagle pop-up
ZR_Warlock!

Postby MM700 » November 12th, 2001, 2:46 am

I would recomend that you come to the Houghton/Hancock area..So you can ride the snowbelt and the Keweenaw...there is always snow (about 250 to 300 inches a year.) And lots of places to stay..there is even a Holiday Inn express on the trail in Houghton.....To register your sled you should be able to do that in Ohio..stop at your local D.N.R. office they should be able to help you, or stop at your local snowmobile dealer they tell you what to do....if you have your sled registered and you get to michigan...you have to get a michigan sticker, and you can get those at just about any bar or gas station. Check out snowtracks.com for trail updates and lodging for the U.P.
MM700

Postby MxZx440 » November 12th, 2001, 3:45 am

Hey ZR-Warlock where are you at in northwest OH?
I'm In West Unity 60 miles straight west of Toledo.
MxZx440
Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt=Then its hillarious!!!
MxZx440

Postby ZR_Warlock! » November 12th, 2001, 4:22 am

I work in Napoleon, and live near Hamler, about another 15 min sw of Napoleon. Do you know wher the Hillside Nursing Home is? Our company built that new wing addition a couple years ago... so I'm pretty familiar with that area. Small world, eh?

Matt
'01 Jayco Eagle pop-up
ZR_Warlock!

Postby BLADEGUY » November 12th, 2001, 10:06 am

The newberry area is also nice. The whole UP is nice! Just be sure to be within 30 miles of Lake Superior. This is the main snow belt. To ride legally in Michigan, puchase a $10 sticker at a variety of places. Ask around at gas stations. Every town should have at least one. You can also check with the chamber of commerce. They can also send you local maps. You should also technically be registered in your home state. Do they even have registration there? You can ask the Michigan DNR and or/the ohio DNR. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you buy a Michigan sticker. From the Michigan website, you can order a map of the entire UP that is excellent. I cant seem to find it anywhere up there. Order it in advance at http://travel.michigan.org/snowmobiling

Everyone loves the keewinaw penninsula (although I havent been there myself) I hear sometimes it gets a lot of traffic, and the trails can be rough. Its either heaven or hell. I think Newberry will be closer to you and you will enjoy the area. Be sure to head to the Superior shore near Munising. One more tip - be sure to bring warm cloths! The U.P. has the most snow, and beautiful scenery, but it can be down right cold sometimes! Have a great time! Maybe I'll see you up there.

I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.
BLADEGUY

Postby Bob Poiry » November 12th, 2001, 11:11 am

The UP is great, you'll love it. Too bad you have to do it on the weekends. It's even better during the week. Lot's fewer sledders and traffic. Try to check with the Chamber of Comerce wherever you intend to head and they can get you the trail maps for that area. Also, if you're going to ride in the Hiawatha National Forest which is awesome, get hold of the Nat'l Forest Service and get a cope of the Forest's trail map, they are even better. Their trails are marked with a 4 digit number and you can ride forever. If you have a Compass and a Map, it's almost impossible to get lost anywhere up there.
By the way, the Michigan Trail Permit is now $20.00 and worth every penny of it. Especially if you have ever paid for a trail permit in any other state. RIDE SAFE AND SOBER..........
Robert A. Poiry
Bob Poiry

Postby snofisher » November 12th, 2001, 1:23 pm

The UP is awsome!! I do not make it up there as much as others I ride with but I am going to go back again, thats for sure. For info on the UP go to www.uptravel.com they have weather and trail info on the counties plus much more. THINK SNOW!!!
snofisher

Postby Mikeybac » November 12th, 2001, 2:11 pm

just because you ride in the u.p. doesnt mean theres gonna be a ton of snow...ive been to newberry many times and we had to trailer our sleds to paradise...there was more snow in grayling then there was in newberry last january...and riding in the keewenaw is awesome but it takes to long to get there...its easier to goto canada and ride the best trails around...
They Call Me Tater Salad
Mikeybac

Postby packy33 » November 12th, 2001, 4:06 pm

The U.P. is a great place to come and enjoy the great sport of snowmobiling. I live up here and from the Keewanaw Peninsula and west of that is a great place to snowmobile. The Lake Gogebic area is great. You can check out their snowmobile maps on their website at www.lakegogebic.com. They have maps on their and information about lodging. The best time to come up is in January or February. However, if you are willing to wait and depending on the amount of snow still there March is even better. Nobody thinks we still have snow that late, so there aren't many sledders up there and they continue to groom the trails day and night. On the website they list the trail conditions and how much snow the still have. Or I know for a fact that you can call the Hoop N' Holler Tavern and ask for George. He's in charge of the grooming and his wife does the information on the website. The number is 906-575-5555. Believe me, it's a great place to go to.
packy33

Postby ZR_Warlock! » November 13th, 2001, 12:44 am

Thanks for all of the help, folks! I probably won't make it up to the Keweenaw Peninsula... a bit too far to drive for my first time back in the saddle. It's about 430 miles to Newberry from my place, so I'll probably stick to the eastern part of the UP. Are there any places on the east end that are a must-see? I appreciate all your input, and I'm really starting to get fired up! Hell, I went thru a half-tank of gas over the warm months just starting the sleds up to keep 'em ready til the snow flies!

Matt
'01 Jayco Eagle pop-up
ZR_Warlock!

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum