Subscribe Today

Spark Plugs and Triples

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby Maniac » December 25th, 2001, 12:53 am

Just got a 1996 Ski Doo Formula III 600 for christmas. Took it for a run down the road and it fouled a plug at about 200 feet. Changed them and started it, insta foul. lifted track while it idled and tried to hold it wide open, wouldn't burn it off. Changed all three, fired it up and took off right away. Ran excellent except for the sparking carbides.
Just wondering if I should leave it rich so it doesn't pop for a bit.
Are there any plugs thet resist fouling better? What plugs are reccomended for my sled?
Should I buy an exhaust temperature sensor and run three different plugs? I heard that the clutch side crank bearings like to get too hot and go.
Anyone want to answer these million and then some questions?
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby michahicks » December 25th, 2001, 3:40 am

Just a note regarding fouling plugs. Assuming a snowmobile is in even reasonably good tune, the most likely time to foul a plug is while you are starting it, and while it is warming up. To start it up, without planning on riding it, is a sure-fire invitation for a loaded up motor. This can result in raw fuel collecting in the bottom of the crankcase and exhaust system. This fuel will stay there until the motor starts making some power (like when you are finally ready to go for a ride) then quickly cause the engine to start running VERY rich. Much of the time the raw fuel is burnt up unnoticed, other times it results in exactly the problem you describe. Best advice to keep this from happening again? Resist the urge(no matter how long it's been since you've heard it run) to start your sled unless you plan on driving it.

Merry Christmas and
Best of luck with your new sled,
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby Maniac » December 25th, 2001, 9:15 am

Heh. Thanks, I had been starting it without driving it due to lack of snow. I guess I must have carboned it up like you said. It's so hard to resist starting the d**n thing. I love the sound of triples.
Oh well, I guess I'll have to resist the urge!
Any plugs you recommend? I'd normally buy NGK B9ES, but I've seen the Splitfires and Bosch Silver and Platinums. They are really expensive ($10 cdn each) and was just wondering if they are actually any better.
And does anyone know where to find a good, but cost effective Exhaust Temperature Guage for triples?
Thanks!
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby ZR800XC » December 25th, 2001, 12:01 pm

The manufacturer recomended plug for your sled is the BR10ES...Almost everybody I know runs BR9ES though because of the sparkplug fouling you describe. It's merely the engine loading up. As for the PTO bearing, YES, they do go out on the PRE 98 Mach 1s and all the 600 F-IIIs. There is no lubrication dripper hold going to that outside bearing that is about 1" from the inner bearing, which can have "dry run" conditions and it will bend your PTO end. Best thing to do is take it to your DOO DOO dealer and have them determine if needs the hole drilled, and if they don't, will they pick up the tab if ya bend that PTO end. We just did dad's Mach 1 this weekend and that outter bearing was pretty dry, the easiest fix would be to pop the PTO seal, and pack the bearing with Engine Prelube and install a new seal.........Have fun with it!!!!!!

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby Maniac » December 26th, 2001, 12:26 am

Thanks!!! I thought nobody knew!! I have been wondering about this so much lately. I will get on that right away. You may have saved my engine.
Thanks again, I owe ya one.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby Maniac » December 26th, 2001, 1:07 am

Just two more questions. What does PTO stand for and shouldn't bombardier have recalled all of the affected motors? That is a manufacturing defect.

*This Message was edited on 26-Dec-01 06:31 AM by Maniac*
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby Burky » December 26th, 2001, 2:44 am

PTO stands for Power Take Off, and is referring to the clutched end of the crankshaft. Other end is usually referred to as the Magneto end, and triples of course also have a center. As for the recall, that's always at the makers discretion, and since it isn't a safety related item there is no government/legal requirement to recall it. About the only things that can drive a recall are owner pressure and legal pressure, and different manufacturers react differently. Yelp to the dealer, and it might work depending onhow much they want your business. Sometimes dealers will do a repair when it becomes common, een without an official recall.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby Maniac » December 26th, 2001, 6:34 am

The thing is I never purchased the sled from a dealer. It was a private sale so I don't think that the dealer will give one s**t about fixing it for free. I got a good deal so even if I have to pay it'll still be worth it.
Thanks for all of the info.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby M10rules » December 26th, 2001, 2:36 pm

Cat started running BR9EYA instead of BR9ES because the zrt600 would foul out plugs. The EYA are designed to resist fouling a little bettter.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Spark Plugs and Triples

Postby Maniac » December 26th, 2001, 11:14 pm

Thanks. I think I'll go and buy three just to try them before I replace all of my spares. Hopefully they'll work a little better.
Appreciate the help much!
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum