Subscribe Today

trailer ski guides

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

trailer ski guides

Postby calkai » January 25th, 2002, 1:10 am

Has anyone ever tried using pvc pipe as ski guides on there trailer? Has anyone used anything else as guides other than the purchased ones??
carl
calkai

trailer ski guides

Postby EOlson » January 25th, 2002, 3:27 am

Shoot, I was just thinking of buying some 1.25" pipe this afternoon, to do just that. I intend on cutting it in half, the long way. Then screwing it to the bed of my trailer. I think that it will work just fine. I will chamfer the leadin edge so it is easier to get up on them. I will also drill out holes in a pattern and counter sink them as to flush mount a machine screw. I am thinking that with 1/2" wear bars I am going to have to use 1.25 PVC pipe.
2001 Yamaha SX 700R
2001 Chevy Silverado LT
2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
EOlson

trailer ski guides

Postby calkai » January 25th, 2002, 9:31 am

sounds like what I had in mind. Let me know how it turns out and if the size you picked is aok. How offen are you going to screw them down?
carl
calkai

trailer ski guides

Postby Sno-man » January 25th, 2002, 10:10 am

What you want to do is use 2 sticks of pipe for each ski (4 total for 1 sled, unless you have new ski-doo skis then just one per ski), Just cut a bevel on the leading edge, then about every 18"-24" drill a hole in the top side (large enough to fit your screw driver bit through) then a smaller hole in the bottom. Lay them out where you want, then put a short deck screw through large hole and tighten it to the trailer.(the screw head will be inside the pipe). Use 3/4"-1" trade size pipe. Works great, when i tilt my trailer up the sled will fall off on it's own almost.
Sno-man

trailer ski guides

Postby extreme_yamaha » January 25th, 2002, 10:23 am

Use some left over bed liner from a truck. That works well as ski guids. Also, use an old snowmobile track for a traction pad. This eliminates the track slip when loading up on the trailer.
Extreme..
extreme_yamaha

trailer ski guides

Postby fast 600 » January 25th, 2002, 12:59 pm

Go to your local Menards or lumber yard and buy vinyl door jamb. It is 3/4 inch thick by 6 inches wide by 10 ft. long. On the back side it has six 1/2 inch deep groves, screw it down with sheet rock screws. Looks like original epuipment at half the pice.
fast 600

trailer ski guides

Postby calkai » January 26th, 2002, 3:56 am

Sno-man thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have this on your trailer. Which size did you use and how much clearance did you leave between the tubes?? calkai
carl
calkai

trailer ski guides

Postby Sno-man » January 26th, 2002, 11:33 pm

I used the 1" on mine spaced about 2 1/2" between. You get plenty of clearance, but my neighbor put 3/4" on his seems to be ok.I had some 3/4" on mine but the carbide did drag a little. I think that the closer together you put them, the better clearence you get, but the harder they are to hit when loading. I am an electrician and we had some extra 1" so i just used that.
Sno-man

trailer ski guides

Postby drewalt » January 27th, 2002, 10:17 pm

The best trailer glides are the eco-glides from Snow Designs. You can get them at sled-parts.com

drewalt

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum