Subscribe Today

2002 sno pro... any problems?

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby DAVE7625 » February 1st, 2002, 10:26 am

i was wondering the reliability of the 2002 sno pros as i am thinking about purchasing a 2002 FIRECAT F7 and that sled is in the new sno pro chassis with the lay down engine.If there were any problmes i would like to know, thanks.
DAVE7625

Postby Smoothride » February 3rd, 2002, 11:36 am

Any reliability problems with the 2002 Sno-Pro will be history by the time AC decides to use that chassis as a production sled. Most of the issues have already been addressed. Other issues are classic snocross racing problems, chains, cosmetics breaking, etc. The only flaw is the 13.5/128 track. 14/121 would be better.(easier to turn in snocross but shouldn't be an issue on the trails.) Also, what the hell is a Firecat?
Smoothride

Postby dromang » February 4th, 2002, 1:26 am

I have a 02 SnoPro with a Black Magic 715cc motor. I was able to get some more seat time this weekend on trails and 2 tracks. It rides a bit different than the std. ZR you have to ajust your riding position forward somewhat, but not as radically as the SkiDoo REvX. The nice thing is when you hit those long smooth straights you can sit back and relax also. I found myself riding up near or on the tank in the twisty stuff, but with the narrow tunnel it's easy to do. It would be easier if I were a bit smaller, Im 6'-1" 200lbs, but it just takes some adjusting to get it right. The cross-Link is working awesome even with the "race" settings, I've had lots of different setups over the years (M-10's and most other stock) and over the rough stuff this works awesome. Part of that may be due to the fact that you ride farther forward. The front end is still too hard for the little washboard stuff but as soon as I get some dual rate springs it should be great. I see that's what they show on the Firecats. I'm wondering if they are putting on the CrossLink or a standardized version. The sled is decievingly fast, I was riding with some good riders and they were slowing down over some rutted out sections were I actually accelerated and was having fun, of course the power helps there also. Unfortunatelly the new digital/analog speedo only worked for about 5 min. so I can't really tell how fast I'm hitting everything. The dual gage tach works great, it's a cool idea and they are supposed to fix the speedo sometime soon. There is also a recall on the steering arms and should be getting them this week. I have't had any real problems to speek of other than the minor stuff mentioned.
Just trying to give a heads up for anyone interested in the chassis for next season.
dromang

Postby DAVE7625 » February 4th, 2002, 5:56 am

thanks for your replies, but still i am wondering about the narrower track that comes on the sled 13.5X128. my sled right now is an 2001 mxz 600 with a 15X121 inch track and for the snow that we have right now (around 2 feet or so)the sled goes pretty good, but i was wondering if i would notice a difference in the deep snow capabilities with the new F7 that I am planning on purchasing with roughly the same suurface area to the snow, it shouldnt affect it too much, but i am asking the question to anyone who has actually driven one on the 2002 sno pros in snow if they were good compared to normal 15x121 track sleds?
DAVE7625

Postby ajr175 » February 4th, 2002, 11:17 am

I can't tell you what I've heard, but there are quite a few more problems with that chassis than what has been mentioned.
Expect victory and you get victory.
ajr175

Postby dromang » February 4th, 2002, 11:13 pm

I'm not aware of any other issues with the sled other than a recall on the steering arms I should be getting this week. All of the other updates have been taken care of. As for the traction difference, it's hard to say I'm in Michigan and we haven't had much deep snow to test in. I have the 1.25" track and everywhere I've ridden I've had great traction, the longer length helps float and helps bridge the gaps over those studder bumps. Studding it was interesting, you can't put any in the outside edge due to the tunnel design unless they change that. I've used a combination of push thru's and track lug studs to compensate.
I'm hoping to get some off trail riding this weekend, I'll let you know what I find. One thing for sure is the sled is "FUN" to ride
dromang

Postby DAVE7625 » February 5th, 2002, 9:14 am

is the cross link suspension set up better than the normal one? because i just heard that cat will be offering cross link for early spring buyers, and i was wondering if i should get this option too? or just the normal suspension with stiffer spring like the cross country editions last year
DAVE7625

Postby 02 pro x 440 » February 5th, 2002, 10:05 am

yea it throws all the racers off everytime it hits a bump
02 pro x 440

Postby ammdrew » February 5th, 2002, 10:25 am

cross-link is probably the best thing cat ever did, and everything i have found on the 03, only state coupled, like the 02's not crosslinked like the pros... you can get the shocks from cat .... i can convert your dial adjust to a cross-link, if you have never ridden one, i recommend you try it, would be simply the best ride i have ever had.... sold first time i got on... all problems have been fixed... if you want it done email me ammdrew@mediaone.net
612-251-8267

you won't even bielieve how it feels in the bumps, big and small, and still comfortable in the stutter bumps.........

most problems are from bad builders and rebuilders...

[Moderator] Sorry, we won't allow anyone to bash a performance shop because of any isolated incidents without additionl evidence.

if you have questions let me know..

*This Message was edited on 06-Feb-02 05:52 AM by powersports*
ammdrew

Postby DAVE7625 » February 5th, 2002, 11:02 am

yes everything that has been stated,but nothin gon spring only sled, cat is probably releasing that on february 8th, but on amsnow.com they tell you about the early spring order sleds, and you can order special track, shocks, racer graphics and cross link suspension if you want, so how you said cross link is good, i think i will be purchasing my F7 now with cross link, thanks you very much for your reply, and if i ever need a rebuild on it i will let you know.

and to "02 prox 400" how you said it threw riders off all the time, how could that be since tucker is in the lead in wsa in pro stock and pro open
DAVE7625

Next

Return to General Racing Board