Subscribe Today

Junior Racing

Junior Racing

Postby mvanstrydonk » February 10th, 2006, 4:34 am

I don't know who all these juniors are that want to move up. I know the junior that your talking about is about 15.75 years of age which is older than you were when you petition it. He is facing the same problem as you were there are only two other people in his class and they are moving up to get out of his class cause they can't compete against him.I'll say the #1 problem with USSA is if the ice is going away who suffers for it the juniors. We pay our entry's fees same as everyone else, when we go to the races we should get all the races we were entitled to. How do you guys expect these kids to get experience if they only get to run a final and that's it. The kid sled that isn't perfect when it hits the track is SOL. Seat time is everything when it comes to racing, without it your not going to get better. Plymouth is a prime example all us juniors 1 come with brand new sleds we got to run a 5 lap final, while they had about 70 oldtimmer sleds that got to run 4 times. How would you people feel if you had paied $50 and got to run 5 laps and go home? This same junior we are talking about in Antigo a fan came up to his father and told his was going to be taken out by one of the older members in his race and that individual did go after him and did hit him the kid hung on to his sled and took 3rd in that race. He tried taking him out of the race cause he couldn't beat him, you guys are doing the same thing but with different means. Not many kids come along with this much talent and ability. And thid kid does know when to back off when he has to.
mvanstrydonk

Junior Racing

Postby eab142racer » February 10th, 2006, 7:09 am

I agree you should be able to run more, that is bogus. But it isn't necessarily USSA's fault. I believe the old sleds race there through the promoter not USSA and I'm sure USSA wasn't to happy about how much they ran.
I would like to clear up the fact the I was not pointing fingers I was just making a reference. I'm sorry that had to happen at antigo last year I was never aware of that, and that is complete bull. No driver should ever threaten another let alone do it. Like I said I'm not pointing any fingers I just think that this topic should be discussed a little so people can get all ends of it. I agree with all you in certain points and hope you don't think less of me. Good Luck to every one this weekend.

Eric Buchholz #142
eab142racer

Junior Racing

Postby kurtj » February 10th, 2006, 7:17 am

DOUG, I WISH EVERYONE OUT THAT HAD YOUR SAME BELEIFS ABOUT RACING, IT IS TRULY AMAZING HOW YOUR KIDS HAVE COME THROUGH THE RANKS AND ARE BETTER AND BETTER EVERYTIME THEY RACE. THING HAPPEN ON THE RACE TRACK THAT ARE NOT ALWAYS PERFECT, THEN AGAIN NOBODY IS. BEST OF LUCK THE REST OF THE SEASON. WAS GREAT TO SEE YOU GUYS AT WAUSAU.

KURT
kurtj

Junior Racing

Postby PRO STK 145 » February 10th, 2006, 7:25 am

Here is my thought on this issue, I doubt if anyone cares but listen to it anyways. I think pettioning to move up ONE class is a good idea, however moving up one class and staying there is different that jumping from one class to another, like I have seen happening at some races this year. Most of Jr drivers that I have watched recently are very capable drivers and could without doubt in my mind move up and hold there own. Although, some of these drivers are just putting to many hard racing laps on and getting tired, and I think that is when most of the accidents occur. The decesion on who moves up is left up to people that are very knowledgeable on racing and have been around racing for many years, so lets just let them make the call and be happy.

Thanks for listening
J Ryden
PRO STK 145

Junior Racing

Postby twister 250 » February 10th, 2006, 7:47 am

Mvanstrydonk you seem to be pretty satisfied with your driver. Maybe you are the type of person that Greens means go is talking about. Just let the kids race and have fun don't put the pressure on these youngsters to race at such a high level. Just wait a while and in time they will be there.
twister 250

Junior Racing

Postby kurtj » February 10th, 2006, 10:55 am

BRAVO TRISTER BRAVO!!!:B
kurtj

Junior Racing

Postby Fontaine Racing » February 12th, 2006, 3:58 pm

green means go
not sure if we have met. Trevor started on kitty cats at age three, (he turned 4 during that season) so they let him start. the group we ran with was M.K.C.R.A. then turned into Kids Pro-Ice. Wally wanted to adopt this group to keep all the racers together, and hopefully keep these kids moving up the ladder, and become the next generation of ice racers. and it worked quite well!if you were at Wausau I think you should have seen a pretty good size group of junior racers? (not just from pro-ice) I was also impressed with the jr. novice racers in your group! GOOD JOB!!
BUT there should be one more out there! we sold our 340 to a person that runs in your group. they can not run this sled with you because it does not have an OEM track on it. It has a camoplast 121 track with tall clips. I know the reason for not allowing this is to keep the cost down. Believe me I did not want to spend the money on this track! but after 3 derails in front of people I decide for safety sake I would go this route, SAFETY is number 1 with me !! this is only my opinion. but you guys are going maybe 20 mph. on the little jr. novice track? so even though this track is not necessary, I see absolutely no advantage to having it either? I will do whatever I can to get another youngster out there racing! and I felt terrible selling this sled (knowing that it would used) then finding out this track thing. I am asking you to talk this over and see if you can understand my opinion. this is keeping this sled in the garage when it should and would be on the track, THANKS!!
I also agree that there may be some parents pushing there kids up. I don't know of any? but I don't know everyone. my personal situation is this, Trevor was offered the use of the 340 we sold and were paid for. he told me he had no interest in running it. I was glad to here this, because he had been very successful running it, and I wanted to see other potential winners get there chance. this same situation is evolving with us in the 600 fan class. don't misunderstand me. we go by the rules and decisions made, and I will no longer complain, because I understand and respect there rulings.
my last comment is about BIG Nick Vanstrydonk and BIG Al, like em or not,(personally I like em) Al has done more for junior racing than you realize! he has built and sold the same equipment his son ran.(his wife calls him dumb)absolutely no disrespect to her!! Al's reason is to create competition, not eliminate it!! we have raced against these guys for a long time. and though its no fun having them beat you. they truly are an asset to our sport! I don't know either of them that well? but I do know they have some great equipment. and Nick is more than capable of handling what he is is riding now!!
REMEMBER- NO hard feelings,JUST AN OPINION!!!
Fontaine Racing

Junior Racing

Postby GreenMeansGo » February 13th, 2006, 4:41 am

Mr. Fontaine, Actually, I probably shouldn't have posted on this particular subject. I don't know the story with what's going on in 600F, (But I am going to research a little now). I was was just stating an opion about the jr. racing, petioning and that's it. I have tons of respect for Nick and Al. As you said Al is all about promoting the sport as am I. I have watched Nick racing for many years and not only is he a good racer but a good kid as well. We need to keep the youth involved to keep the ice racing alive in the future! If it wasn't for Al I don't know that we would have a 380 Sprint Class and I think that is an awesome class! It is a thrill to see the kids that my kids raced against and looked up to being the next champions and being the ones to beat! But just out of curiousity is there any one racing the Jr Novice 10-13 old class or did they all move up?
You do have me curious about what sled you sold that can't be run by us or isn't. HMMM?
GreenMeansGo

Junior Racing

Postby Fontaine Racing » February 13th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Ben
thanks for the reply, yes there are about 4 to 7 racers depending if USSA and Pro -Ice run together. still not enough!! (my opinion) I know of a couple kids that will keep moving up, (from 120's). hopefully you guys will send a couple up. I was impressed with them at Eagle River, lots of kids. I wish the kids pro -Ice ran that class? you guys are doing a good job!! sounds like we are on the same page? we sold our 340 to Hoglunds with intentions of Max getting on it. as you know they are still big in the F1 kitty kats and 120s, and my little buddy Morgan is just starting to get with it on those. so I see them running with you guys a year or two yet. I would have put the OEM track back on, (they don't need tall clips to go 20 mph) but I sold it at haydays last year. Polaris gets about $600 and the day will come when they want the tall clips. so there it sits. I know they would be running it if allowed . THANKS for your concern!!
Fontaine Racing

Junior Racing

Postby RacingInsider » February 14th, 2006, 5:20 am

Just a comment i had to make,

Personally I can go both ways with what people are saying on here. Overall I think the problem lies deeper though than just which JR should move up or can move up and which cant. I believe the problem is in consistinsy of allowing JR drivers to move up. For example Fountaines Kid has raced in sport for past few seasons now at Xtreme Ice and also Eagle River now the F500 class comes out being a SPORT divison class and Doug goes out builds a sled and Trevor gets the shaft and cant run in it. Its a gamble or is it who you are and who you know at ER and USSA to be allowed to jump your JR driver up to other class's. If i am not mistaken isn't Terry (Watcher) kid under 18, but yet he is allowed to Jump around on a sprint sled???
There have been many JR drivers allowed to jump up in the past and like i said i think it confuses people when there son/daughter is not allowed to do the same. A few drivers i can think of i have personally seen running in Pro & Semi-Pro at ER for example that were all under 18 and wonderful drivers and needed to move up- Dustin Wahl, Erik Peterson, Mike Poach, PJ Wanderschied, Steve Arpin, Fredrickson just to name a few these drivers all did a great job. The funny thing there is ER & USSA didnt want to let them move up either. When you have a driver that is capable of moving up they should because if they dont they are goin to ruin the class they are in (JR) and the only way to know is to let them move up and compete.
There are alot of other things we need to worry about rather than if a JR is jumpin up or not. maybe we should focus on the rules of Semi Pro & Pro. What makes you what, and when is it it time to stop cherry pickin in SP and move up to Pro. i agreed with the idea Wally uses if you qualify for the Final in the WC you are a PRO and cant jump down to SP. Personally the Sprint class needs ALOT of help it could be a great class, I always thought the theroy behind it was a steppin stone to move up to champ sleds. But than u have Ludwig, Bettin for example running in it also that is scaring drivers away from wanting to race in that class.
RacingInsider

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros