Subscribe Today

what is too Fast?

what is too Fast?

Postby watcher » April 9th, 2006, 6:29 am

ok, i heard for years about safety, how can we save lives? how can we make it safer?

now the USSA board open their mouths and said open 600 is to fast. we need to slow them down, it's getting out of control, we need to restrict those motors/sleds. they talked about weight, carbs, pipes, cdi/ecu box, wye pipes?

does speed fall into safety?
is resticting speed going to save lives?
how long will ISR and K&K going allow this speed?

now the way i read (can't write well)and understand it,
that you want to leave it alone?
leave it for another year?
deep pocket are still going to go fast?
just takes more money?
why change a good thing?

do we care?
do we want it to be like a Bristol NASCAR race?
do we want it to be like a indy 500 race?
do we want it to be like a daytona race?
are you just looking at our own team, i can't get that fast, so i want the rest of the sleds slow down so i can catch them?

or is like my kid says " they all want to go 150 mph and not get hurt"
"speed does not hurt it's a unsafe track that hurts", "the old man is loosing it" (watcher not jocko)

i just don't understand. the USSA board came up with this class, maybe they should just take it away?

xboard member
watcher
watcher

what is too Fast?

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » April 9th, 2006, 10:27 am

Terry I quess I've said in the past in the future something will have to be done with the open 600 class as sleds will be running 115 plus miles per hour in a year or two on the larger tracks. I don't like the y pipe rule for a restriction tho. My take on going that way the good running 440's would start winning the 600 class and then why have class in the first place.
In the future is the premier class going to the 600cc size motor, this coming year is the last year for the 440 liquid engines by the three manufactures. Most of the time when manufactures stop making an engine non current parts go through the roof in price. Yes their will be parts for the 440's for quite a few years if everyone is willing to shell out the money for them.
In closing I'm still in favor of keeping the rules the same for one more year and then making a change. In the past I thought it always took a year or two before a new rule was adopted in the first place after it was voted on. Has that been changed in the last two years? I would like to see a small group of people come up with a change for this class. A couple of promotors, then say a Dave Wahl and Mike Houle, then a couple of current open racers and come up with something that won't have to be changed alot down the road. Rules staying the same for long periods of time seem to help build the class in most cases.
Spy-Guy 74

what is too Fast?

Postby watcher » April 9th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Spy-Guy 74, "In the past I thought it always took a year or two before a new rule was adopted in the first place after it was voted on. Has that been changed in the last two years? I would like to see a small group of people come up with a change for this class."

yes, that is true for ISR core classes, but this class was made at USSA board and is not a ISR core class. the new USSA board was the right to change it with in the organization, does not have to go in front of ISR rules committee. something like the F-500 that john made up. were honor is rules and enforce them, but that did not go in front of the rules committee at ISR. all classes most be aproved by tom z and dick g but not the committee.

i like the thinking of 3/16" max studs and maybe no hooker studs in the track. maybe even a short carbite on the skies, something like john h did in F-500 class.

watcher
watcher

what is too Fast?

Postby watcher » April 9th, 2006, 12:06 pm

also, please remember that all rules and changes made within USSA are voted on by the Board, not just ted and jerry, there are 12 board memebers in USSA, one vote for each board member.
watcher

what is too Fast?

Postby Mr.Pipe » April 10th, 2006, 3:10 am

If the 600's are too fast, then a wye pipe and single exhaust would be a logical rule. The low RPM engines would be much more reliable, and user friendly, and the performance would be similar to a good running 440.
Mr.Pipe

what is too Fast?

Postby proracer » April 10th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Give me a good reason, why you're saying the 600 is to fast, is SPEED been a problem or bad accident so far in the 600 ? Look's more like not every body can cacth up with the speed or lap time that those 600 are doing now.

Bye
JV #96
proracer

what is too Fast?

Postby THE GOAT » April 11th, 2006, 11:20 am

"A speculator is a man who observes the future, and acts before it occurs."
Bernard Baruch

"If you do not think about the future, you cannot have one."
John Galsworthy
THE GOAT

what is too Fast?

Postby watcher » April 11th, 2006, 11:48 am

very good Goat, where did you come up with that?

jv. if we don't do something to try and slow them down, someone else will. called ISR or K&K, they don't like speeds over 100mph.

watcher
watcher

what is too Fast?

Postby srxfan » April 12th, 2006, 12:55 am

and the next step is to speed down Nascar to maximum 130mph!?, right?
srxfan

what is too Fast?

Postby RacingInsider » April 22nd, 2006, 3:35 am

[quote=watcher]ok, i heard for years about safety, how can we save lives? how can we make it safer?

now the USSA board open their mouths and said open 600 is to fast. we need to slow them down, it's getting out of control, we need to restrict those motors/sleds. they talked about weight, carbs, pipes, cdi/ecu box, wye pipes?

does speed fall into safety?
is resticting speed going to save lives?
how long will ISR and K&K going allow this speed?

quote]

Terry,

sorry to pick ya out again, but when has SPEED ever caused a death in recent years the sleds have gotten faster, but to me the 2 deaths i witnessed well was not from speed but from a stupid WALL and not enough haybails. both in same spot on the track and if the were both on Champs or Open sleds i might start to say maybe exiting speed is to much but One was a 600 Fan and one a Champ 440. My point is look at the speeds JV, PJ, Terry to name a few have gone into turn 1 or 3 full steam and walked away just FINE. Like i said on a earlier post on here why does it always come down to this that this that when the thing hurting drivers is LACK OF TRACK SAFETY!!!

I am sure if K & K was to actually come to a race and see some of the tracks they are insuring than look at the layout of how the tracks are suppose to be in the ISR rule book, the last thing K & K would say speed, but question why are we insuring tracks like these.

I know you are off the board now but is there anyway for an outsider not on the board to actually see the rules that get voted on and the actual Ballots not just the out come????
RacingInsider

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros